PSU Football Post/Off Season

The name says it all!
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

Re: PSU Football Post/Off Season

Post by ERAChamp »

Where is Pitt ranked in this publication?
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Did Pitt move to the Big Ten or something? This topic is about PSU Football Post/Off Season. Not sure why Pitt's ranking is relevant. But Kent State is ranked 127th out of 130. And by the way, I see that PSU just got a walk-on transfer from Notre Dame. Former 4-star RB CJ Homes was dismissed from Notre Dame in December after he was arrested for shoplifting, and will be coming to Happy Valley.
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

Post by ERAChamp »

Wow big boy, hold your horses.  Instead of making a new thread, I thought it might be relevant being that Pitt is a local team.  I can see you are still in fine form!!  Also, is Kent State now in the BIG 10???  Not sure why Kent State is relevant in this thread.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Listen. PSU has 7 home games this year. They only leave Pennsylvania 4 times this regular season. Kent State is one of their biggest home games. To me, that IS relevant. Their fans know this game will be a test for the Nits. Pitt being a local team means nothing. It's not important. Does PSU play Villanova in basketball? They are a local team. And speaking of basketball, rumor has it that new transfer CJ Holmes may be rooming with Mike Watkins this year. Mike can show him the ropes.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Pitt is picked 51st.  At least three ACC teams are picked to finish lower:  Wake Forest 52nd, Syracuse 54th and North Carolina 62nd.  Pitt lost to two of those teams last year and will play all three in 2018.
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

PSU Football Post/Off Season

Post by ERAChamp »

knowitall wrote:Pitt is picked 51st.  At least three ACC teams are picked to finish lower:  Wake Forest 52nd, Syracuse 54th and North Carolina 62nd.  Pitt lost to two of those teams last year and will play all three in 2018.
Thank you!!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

This summer heat must really got moldy worked up.  

1) I like how you spin that Penn State only leaves the state for 4 regular season games this year. How many times did Pitt leave PA last year? Alabama has played 1 true road non-conference game in the tenure of Nick Saban. That was a home and home series with Penn State. So all programs schedule lightly with the non-conference games. 
2) I like how you conveniently left out the FACT that CJ Holmes’s charges have been completely dismissed by the court.  
3) I like a preseason ranking of 15th. That takes the pressure off these guys a little bit. Everyone is expecting a little step back this year including the fans and media. 
4) Please explain again how Kent State became an important or big game this year. They have Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Maryland all at home. They travel to Michigan and Pitt. That is 7 out of 12 games that I would call important. Kent State is the worst game on the schedule. 

Remember Pitt played 1-11 Rice last year and FCS Youngstown State. ALL SCHOOLS SCHEDULE A FEW CLUNKERS.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Love how PSU fans justify PSU's and Pitt's upcoming seasons based on last year's season. Always a nice try though. Everyone knows the advantage of playing home games. And who cares about Nick Saban. He has nothing to do with PSU's rankings this year. With McSorley being touted for the Heisman, Nit fans have to be a little disappointed in a ranking of 15th. From what I gathered, they surely would be in everyone's top 5. And why is Kent State so important? We have seen how a weak non-conference schedule can affect chances of playing in the Final Four for a chance at the National Championship. Kent State hurts them in the long run. In fact, Nit fans should be rooting for Pitt to win as many games as possible instead of making fun of their pre-season ranking.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Kent State could go 10-2 or 2-10 and it would have no effect on Penn State’s National Championship chances. The path in a P5 conference has been spelled out and it is pretty simple. 

Path A) Be Alabama or Ohio State 

Path B) Win your conference and have 1 or fewer losses

When Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Iowa plus a potential B1G championship opponent is all on the schedule, then games against Pitt and Kent State really don’t effect anything as long as you win those games. 

Once again, every P5 school plays 7 (sometimes 8) home games. Find me one that didn’t last year, I’ll wait. Continuously bringing up this point shows you either don’t understand how college football or just are willing to look like a fool in order to antagonize. 

Penn State lost quite possibly the best player ever to wear their uniform, their offensive coordinator, their WR coach, an all American TE, their entire starting secondary, their MLB, both DTs, and one of the most consistent kickers in program history. Realistically it looks like they may have some issues this year. At the same time, they have a ton of young talent. I think 10th to 15th (which is where most polls have them) is completely accurate. 
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Let's try Path B. The five P5 champions all end up with ONE loss at the end of the regular season. How do they choose which one will be left out of the Final Four? Strength of schedule probably is the deciding factor. So you see how important it is NOT to schedule teams like Kent State.