Pirates 2018

The name says it all!
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Pirates 2018

Post by 12HankQB »

Suck.....Go Tribe....Garrett Cole is now a Stro. I'm going to buy season tickets so I have kindling for next winter. 
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Pirates 2018

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Trade McCutchen, Josh Harrison, and Cervelli and anyone else really. Can't catch the Cubs as they are currently configured, need to start over.

This is really the only smart thing the Pirates can do. They can lose with Cole or lose without him, it's a pretty straightforward thing to me.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

what's the point. The losing Pirates had my heart n soul for years through the losing drought with empty promises. Finally making Buctober to wilt away to drought again. I'll come back whenever there's either: A. a salary cap or B. an owner who likes winning...
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

What's the point of keeping players of value to lose anyway? As long as there's no salary cap, it's going to be small windows like 2013-2015 for teams like the Pirates.  They have to gear up and try to build a team like that again. 

I don't really see what other choice they have.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Well sounds like the trade is no longer imminent. Lol. As long as they get legit prospects I'm all for dumping Cole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Trade McCutchen, Josh Harrison, and Cervelli and anyone else really.  Can't catch the Cubs as they are currently configured, need to start over.

This is really the only smart thing the Pirates can do.  They can lose with Cole or lose without him, it's a pretty straightforward thing to me.
Baloney.  They need to sign Mike Moustakas and go for it in 2018.  The fan base isn't willing to wait for the Pirates to be in contention again in 2037.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Would you trade Gerrit Cole for Tyler Glasnow and Austin Meadows?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

knowitall wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:Trade McCutchen, Josh Harrison, and Cervelli and anyone else really.  Can't catch the Cubs as they are currently configured, need to start over.

This is really the only smart thing the Pirates can do.  They can lose with Cole or lose without him, it's a pretty straightforward thing to me.
Baloney.  They need to sign Mike Moustakas and go for it in 2018.  The fan base isn't willing to wait for the Pirates to be in contention again in 2037.
Lol go for what?  The Cubs? The window shut after 2015, I don't see one player that can make this team better. They need to sign multiple players. And since they won't do that, it's probably better to start fresh and play it the way the Astros played it. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

After the 98 win team, I thought these past two years they could recreate the same success, but they haven't and everyone has only gotten older and the Cubs have gotten younger and even better. The Cardinals are always gonna be the Cardinals, and after some rebuilding years, the Brewers look formidable now.

I think they have to start over. I don't see a better option. Throwing band-aids on a fading group isn't the answer.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

knowitall wrote:Would you trade Gerrit Cole for Tyler Glasnow and Austin Meadows?
Probably not, just because Glasnow has well-documented major league problems.  He's not a prospect anymore, he's a struggling young major leaguer.  So his value has been diminished considerably, but I'd imagine all 29 other teams would be happy to take a chance on his talent, but not as in a top piece in a major trade.  

But the return the Pirates are gonna get is a Meadows/Galsnow type return, as in two young players probably close to the majors.  They may get a few other pieces also. They've made it clear the minor leageurs they get in return for Cole will likely be guys that are "MLB ready" and not so much guys still in Class AA or lower.