Bell is at it again

The name says it all!
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Bell is at it again

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Anyone who thinks the Steelers are a better team without 7 is nuts and just doesn't like 7. Tomlin has never had a losing season. His first will be the year 7 hangs em up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

If Ben abruptly retired, what would they do for next season? Landry Jones? Alex Smith? Eli Manning? Colin Kaepernick? Kirk Cousins? Rookie?

Kirk Cousins is going to be paid handsomely, I don't see the Steelers being that team however. So beyond that, what are the better alternatives? There's not one option that makes them better next season.
BlueYonder
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BlueYonder »

A lot of things the coaches did just makes no sense.  They start the game off with empty sets the first two plays.  Jaxonville has a really good defense - against the pass.  They are not good against the run.  When they did run up the middle - Bell usually got 10 yards on most plays.  But they only ran up the middle maybe 8 times all game.  They should have ran Bell all day long.

As far as Ben goes - yes - he is the main reason that the Steelers are a contender every year.  And by the way, they have the best WR in the league and the best RB in the league.

But the common denominator with these guys (Ben, Tomlin, Bell, Brown, Haley) is that they are arrogant and just hard to root for.  And they are not stand-up guys.  Ben is blaming the coaches, Tomlin is saying "we just didn't execute", i.e. - the players screwed up.  Those guys don't deserve to be in the Super Bowl. 
everett
Junior
Junior

Post by everett »

BlueYonder wrote:A lot of things the coaches did just makes no sense.  They start the game off with empty sets the first two plays.  Jaxonville has a really good defense - against the pass.  They are not good against the run.  When they did run up the middle - Bell usually got 10 yards on most plays.  But they only ran up the middle maybe 8 times all game.  They should have ran Bell all day long.

As far as Ben goes - yes - he is the main reason that the Steelers are a contender every year.  And by the way, they have the best WR in the league and the best RB in the league.

But the common denominator with these guys (Ben, Tomlin, Bell, Brown, Haley) is that they are arrogant and just hard to root for.  And they are not stand-up guys.  Ben is blaming the coaches, Tomlin is saying "we just didn't execute", i.e. - the players screwed up.  Those guys don't deserve to be in the Super Bowl. 
I agree with everything except Ben.  He has matured so much over the years, and actually took blame for the loss yesterday, even though he was the only reason they were even still in the game at the end. 
Everyone is going to see what an average coach Tomlin is when Ben retires.  He has had the luxury of a HOF QB since he came here, and only has one SB win to show for it.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Offense didn't lose that game yesterday. Defensive front 7 was man handled and soft coverage against one of the worst WR groups in the league made Bortles job too easy. Sean Davis leading the team in tackles tells the story. 0 sacks. 0 turnovers. Jags had 2 negative plays the entire game, a kneel down and a fumbled snap for 2 yard loss. Heyward 1 tackle, Watt 2 tackles. Zero pressure all game long. Offense did more than enough even with a couple boneheaded play calls. Defense was bad all game long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Anyone watching this season knows Ben was a top 5 qb in the league this year. Yes receivers are making amazing catches but thats because Ben is also throwing balls in perfect places in coverage. And yesterday he put on a show trying to come back.. The play that stands out the most was the backwards lateral to bell for a TD. How many other QBs would make that type of play in the league?
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

konjo78 wrote:Anyone watching this season knows Ben was a top 5 qb in the league this year. Yes receivers are making amazing catches but thats because Ben is also throwing balls in perfect places in coverage. And yesterday he put on a show trying to come back.. The play that stands out the most was the backwards lateral to bell for a TD. How many other QBs would make that type of play in the league?
This was awesome, I liked the first time he took off and was looking for that. He's like watching Will Ferrell running. If they ever do a movie about Ben, Will's gonna play him and that play will be in it. 
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
woninthetrenches
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by woninthetrenches »

1st coaching was an issue yesterday. Some feel that its been poor for many years. While I feel Tomlin is a good coach, he is not a top 3 coach. In this day and age you assistant coaches are more important than ever. That's where I would make the changes. OC and DC would be gone if I had the choice. I would make a few scheme changes on defense. To do so you have to bring in the players to fit whichever changes you like. On offense it is more changing what plays are called when, than a scheme change. So new coaches and a few scheme changes and give Tomlin 2 more years. 2nd. We need some different players on defense. Middle LB is now a spot they need to add speed and depth at. I would draft 2 and sign a free agent there. If you make a scheme change, dline could be a place you add some players to fit it. I would get rid of Mitchell for sure, more Davis to his spot and draft another safety. I feel for the first time our corners are pretty decent but would still draft a tall strong corner later in the draft. If Bell stays then look at a Qb this year early, if not then get a Rb. They are not far off from a Super Bowl, some minor tweaks and a few more players. If you want to change head coaches this is not the time to do so, too many good ones have already signed with other teams. You make that decision next year or the year after. The job would be #1 on any candidates list.
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by GoldenRamsFAN »

I don’t think Pittsburgh would be number 1 on anyone’s list.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

My opinion is they go after a veteran MLB that can add some stability while they draft his eventual replacement in the early rounds.  Some of the veteran MLBs that will be on the market include Navarro Bowman, Paul Posloszney, and Zack Miller.  MLB in a 3-4 scheme is going to be very difficult to draft and expect results in year 1 or 2.  They really don't need to touch the offensive line, offensive skill positions, outside backers, or cornerbacks.  If they can't sign Bell, then that becomes the priority but I think they can work something out to keep him.  I think they could improve on the nose tackle because Hargrave has really seemed to plateau this season and a good nose tackle could take some pressure off the linebacking crew.  But ultimately you have to address the elephant in the room which is the long-term plan for Ben Roethlisberger.  That is the one position on the field that can make a 5 win team or a 12 win team. I think the range they will be drafting in is a great place to find a groomable QB in the first 2 rounds.  Finally, Mike Mitchell has got to go.  Open up some cap space by giving him the pink slip and either replace him from within or a mid level draft pick.