College Hoops

The name says it all!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: College Hoops

Post by knowitall »

In his last two seasons at Vanderbilt, Kevin Stallings was 21-14, 9-9 in the SEC and 19-14, 11-7 in the SEC.  Why were they considering firing him?

And who are these boosters that are paying Stallings's buyout?
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

Hey crimsons ghost what gives you the right to tell us what to think and say on the pitt job I'll say what I want dont tell me what to do
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
BlueYonder
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BlueYonder »

Stallings did not do a good job at Vandy.  He had some 5 star/NBA talent and still only was able to get them to the NCAAs about half the time.  He was basically 500 in the SEC.  How could Barnes justify hiring him thinking he would do better in the ACC?  He was a bad hire by Pitt from the beginning.  He did nothing with a fairly talented group of upperclassmen in his first year at Pitt.  And then he finished 0-19.  They were one of  the worst power 5 teams in the last ten years.  They didn't compete.   
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

knowitall wrote:In his last two seasons at Vanderbilt, Kevin Stallings was 21-14, 9-9 in the SEC and 19-14, 11-7 in the SEC.  Why were they considering firing him?

And who are these boosters that are paying Stallings's buyout?
His last four years he was 71-61 with 1 tournament, 0 tournament wins, and two below .500 seasons and Vanderbilt did not make Pitt pay a buyout.  He cost $0 to hire away from Vanderbilt. I guess if they valued him as a coach, they would have required Pitt to buyout his contract. 

The owner of PGT Trucking contributes quite a bit to Pitt athletics.  I believe he is one of the boosters leading the charge to pay the buyout. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Wrasslerfan wrote:Hey crimsons ghost what gives you the right to tell us what to think and say on the pitt job I'll say what I want dont tell me what to do
I'm telling you what I think.  You can think whatever you want. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

BlueYonder wrote:Stallings did not do a good job at Vandy.  He had some 5 star/NBA talent and still only was able to get them to the NCAAs about half the time.  He was basically 500 in the SEC.  How could Barnes justify hiring him thinking he would do better in the ACC?  He was a bad hire by Pitt from the beginning.  He did nothing with a fairly talented group of upperclassmen in his first year at Pitt.  And then he finished 0-19.  They were one of  the worst power 5 teams in the last ten years.  They didn't compete.   
Yeah, and people only see the on court stuff. The recruiting was horrendous too. Of the 11 new guys they brought in, maybe 3 of them should be on an ACC roster. 

He ran off half the roster 2 years ago, and thought he could bring in better talent, but he brought in worse talent. 

Dixon didn't leave the program in terrific hands, but a few adjustments and his first season could have gone a little better, and some better recruiting, and this past season wouldn't have cost him his job.  The Pitt fans didn't cost Stallings his job, he did. 
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Wrasslerfan wrote:Hey crimsons ghost what gives you the right to tell us what to think and say on the pitt job I'll say what I want dont tell me what to do
Headgear, man! You have it on too tight. Your body needs oxygen.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Here are the things that make Pitt an attractive job...

1. Play in the best conference
2. School is willing to play a top 15 ish salaary
3. Recent track record of being a top 25 program
4. One of the best facilities in the country.
5. No pressure to win right off the bat.
1. Its debatable to call ACC the best conference. If anything the new Big East looks like the best college basketball conference.
2. True but that could bring in the wrong canidate
3. How recent? Its been almost 5-6 years since pitt was a consistent top 25 program. Right now they are at the same tier level as a penn state, mediocre at best.
4. True
5. Is this really going to be true? Fans ran stallings out, for the right reason IMO, but if the pete is still pulling the same attendance the next 3 years I cant see that coach being safe. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Conference ranking fluctuates from year to year, but ACC is generally always going to be considered the best league.  The Big East likely never will, outside of Villanova there isn't a strong perennial contender year to year.  They have good teams, and it's a tough league, but there isn't the strength at the top.  

The Big East schools just don't have the same budgets as the ACC schools do.  Chris Mack *could* stay at Xavier, but Louisville will offer him more money if they want him since it's a well-funded program in the ACC.  That's just an example of where the difference in the leagues are. 
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

ACCs money and praise comes from the same place.... ESPN.

So yeah of course if EPSN is putting up tons of money to show ACC games they will do everything in their power to call the ACC the best conference every year.

NBA has a deal with ESPN while the NHL/nascar does not. Guess what league gets 70% of the coverage right now while the other 2 are lucky to get 1% combined?