College Hoops

The name says it all!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: College Hoops

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I think it's going to take someone with high energy that needs to be able to recruit relentlessly and willing to put in the work. Most guys that are 55+ aren't able to put in that daily grind, we saw pictures of Stallings asleep at a high school basketball game last month, he just wasn't that into it.  I think Pitt needs to go with a different direction, I'd go with a young guy with upside rather than a retread.

Cleuss is a good coach, Schmidt is a so-so coach that had a good year.  But that's not the direction I'd go. 
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

konjo78 wrote:Maybe pitt needs a good coach right now to stablize the program. There arent any real solid, young options out there and even less that want to move to a team as bad as shape as pitt
at this point konjo thats not a bad idea at all im all for that
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Pitt is hiring Jeff Capel, former VCU and Oklahoma coach. Been Coach K's right hand man at Duke for years. I think it's a pretty solid hire.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Yes, not sure they could've done much better at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I don't know what to think here.  His Oklahoma stint was full of players leaving the program, attendance woes, and even a major NCAA investigation.  His VCU stint was pretty decent and he has had years to learn from the best college basketball coach of all time.  Sometimes people are just cut out to be very good assistant coaches.  Sometimes people get in over their heads when they are promoted to a position they are just not quite ready for (see Mike Sullivan's stint with the Boston Bruins) and after a reset prove to be the great coaches many once thought they would be.   We shall see.
BlueYonder
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BlueYonder »

Yes, we shall see.  But I like this choice.  He is the main recruiter at Duke, where they have had the No. 1 class four of the last five years.  Duke sells itself - but that is good even for Duke.  This is definitely an upgrade in my opinion.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Many considered Capel one of the top front runners to replace Coach K as well, he still may be.  If he's good enough for Duke, he's good enough for Pitt.  

He's young, head coaching experience, ACC experience, and a good recruiter.   He checks just about every box Pitt fans wanted.  He might not work out, but he seems to be liked by most Pitt fans, and unlike 2 years ago, the national media is giving Pitt credit.  A nice change from when Stallings was announced.  

I think there are concerns, but unless you are a top program, nearly every other program is not going to hire a slam dunk. Everything runs a risk.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

As I equated it on Twitter, Jeff Capel isn't a home run hire, but he's a 2 RBI double in the gap.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

This was a lucky grab that was also probably a cheaper option. Idk why he was going to risk it as pitt will be an actually pit of horrible play the next 3-4 years. He seems like the type of guy/canidate that l could jump the ship after one season.

Overall grade C-
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Also shouldnt we be concerned that he was known as the best recruiter for Duke and Duke has been named by the FBI in their paying recruits findings?

Highly doubt he wouldnt be right in the middle of that.