THE RACE TO 16 WINS

The name says it all!
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: THE RACE TO 16 WINS

Post by 223113 »

I'm sure there are unruly fans in every city that has pro sports teams, especially when you, "add alcohol."

I'm referring to the observance that, for all Philly pro sports teams, they historically have a horrible reputation,...that they continually live up to,...or down to, as it were.

I once attended a conference for work, at which, Ron Jaworski was the keynote speaker, to start the conference. He told a story of a game in which the Eagles were losing late, and they had the ball inside their own 5. The fans near the end zone were throwing beer bottles at Their Own Team, yelling, "You suck Jaworski! We hate you!"
On the next play, he hit Mike Quick (I think) on a slant, and he went the distance, scored, and the Eagles won. As he was leaving the field, the Same Fans that had just hated on him, were now yelling, "We love you Ron. You're the best!"
He said, to the conference audience, "And those are Philly fans."
I'm glad I don't ride that kind of emotional roller coaster. Wow. I would have to quit watching.
Last edited by 223113 on April 22nd, 2018, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I agree I hate that. Im a flyers fan simply because that was my dads team growing up and thats how we bonded. We are always sick when the in arena fans act like filth
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

theoneandonly wrote:Remember when Crosby passed the baton to giroux... lol. What a joke.

Giroux— 3 points and a -10

It wasn’t a penalty. He played the puck. Just another year further from 1975. 
Playing the puck doesnt make it not a trip. They changed that rule a few years ago
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Though the one positve thing you can say about those fans is they always attend... Its not like the flyers have ever had worry about relocating because fans just stopped caring about the team when they were bad.
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

Agreed. They are loyal, that way. They fill the seats. I've got outlaws,...I mean, inlaws, that live in Philly, and across the river in Jersey. They are devoted.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Oh give me a break. I attended 2 games this year because I live about an hour away and tickets were free. I also had access to about a dozen of other flyers games for free but didn’t feel like going to that many games for a team I don’t care about. Try to find free penguins tickets...

The games I went to were both only about half full and had scalpers selling tickets for under $15 at the gate.

Then let’s talk about the fans. The one game I attended was against the Canadians. A few rows up from me was a dad and his 3 boys that clearly were on a family trip to see the game. They sat there respectful all game and didn’t say a word to anyone. When the flyers gave up a 3rd period goal, I seen a grown man stand up and throw and entire tray of nachos at them. Everyone in the section (including the ushers) were laughing that it happened. I’ve never been so embarrassed for mankind in my life.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I mean if you look at pittsburgh sports all around when teams arent top playoff contenders attendance goes way the hell down.

Pitt fball and basketball, pirate baseball for almost 20 years, pens before crosby, and even the few years steelers arent making playoffs heinz field ends up being half empty
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

I really didn't want to get into an argument about Philly fans.
Bottom line: some are loyal fans, some are not, same as in all cities.
I originally brought up the Philly fans behaviour, because of what occurred today, with the crap being thrown onto the ice, and at the Pens' players. Not all Philly fans are like that, just an inordinately large number of them, compared to other cities. I base some of my opinion on first-hand experiences, and some relatives that live down there. The "bad" fans basically brag about the horrible reputation,....wear it like a badge that they're proud of....
Obviously, I do not follow their logic.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

abpk2903 wrote:Oh give me a break. I attended 2 games this year because I live about an hour away and tickets were free. I also had access to about a dozen of other flyers games for free but didn’t feel like going to that many games for a team I don’t care about. Try to find free penguins tickets...

The games I went to were both only about half full and had scalpers selling tickets for under $15 at the gate.

Then let’s talk about the fans. The one game I attended was against the Canadians. A few rows up from me was a dad and his 3 boys that clearly were on a family trip to see the game. They sat there respectful all game and didn’t say a word to anyone. When the flyers gave up a 3rd period goal, I seen a grown man stand up and throw and entire tray of nachos at them. Everyone in the section (including the ushers) were laughing that it happened. I’ve never been so embarrassed for mankind in my life.
How much of this is actually true
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Every team has fair weather fans and attendance troubles when they are consistently losing. The Pens almost losing the franchise had little to do with attendance and a lot of do with politics and playing in an arena designed for the 1960 World Fair. 

If you want to understand their issues of the time a little more, read a book called “Breakaway.”

My point was to show you that even during the stretch run of a playoff chase for the Flyers they still had thousands of empty of seats at games. Doesn’t support your “so much more loyal” theory.

223113, you’re point is exactly right. The pride I seen that night when nachos and other items were being tossed at kids with their father was astounding.  I’ve seen drunks at like morons in many different sports settings but every other time the fans around those drunks were embarrassed by their actions.  But the way it was celebrated by sections of people when an 11 year old was covered in nacho cheese sauce just blew mind.