Anthem Protest Policy: NFL

The name says it all!
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Anthem Protest Policy: NFL

Post by El-Moldo »

Let's say you are an optometrist, and you're receptionist starts wearing a Pro-Choice button on her blouse. As the boss, you really don't have an opinion about abortion. Naturally, though, half your patients start to become offended by the sign she is wearing. Soon, you notice that you are not quite as busy as you used to be. You begin to realize that things were just fine, until your employee started wearing that button, and giving her opinion about such an "inflammatory" issue. So what does the boss decide to do? He tells the girl to stop wearing that button or else. It's hurting his business and his livelihood. Who would fault him for that? He doesn't care if she wears it outside the office, but wearing it on the job is now a no-no. Lefteyelouie has a point. That's the way it is.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Exactly, the owners of the NFL aren’t these great patriots.  They just don’t want to lose any money. 
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

But, out of courtesy to their fans, they will honor the feelings of the fans who support the military, veterans, and allegiance to our flag, and NOT the fans who want to rock the boat.
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

Lefteyelouie wrote:Simple answer.
NFL = Business
NFL Players = employee
Fans = consumer
Owners = Business owners
So, employee takes a personal stand on something they believe in.  Consumers just want to purchase their product without any personal beliefs of an employee.  Business owners figure out employees personal protests are starting to hurt the bottom line.  Business owners care about the bottom line more than they care about employee or consumers beliefs...  Hence business owners make new rule for employees 3 YEARS after protest start once the bean counters got them their figures..
I'll say it a slightly different way.
We've probably all heard the verses from Ecclesiastes, related to:
"For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven."
You may have read it in the Bible yourself, heard it read in church, or at least heard the folk song made famous by the Byrds (Turn! Turn! Turn!). You may have even sung along!
In the loooooong list of things that have a "time" assigned to them, there is also, "a time to keep silence, and a time to speak."
To want to protest/speak out about  something, anything, also has a "time" (and place), and it is Not when you are getting paid to do your job, or when it is the Time specifically assigned to honor our flag/country.
Those that demonstrate/protest during the National Anthem, have indicated that They, and they alone, with their omnipotent wisdom, have determined that their Cause is More Important than what is Supposed to be occurring at that particular time.....
I, for one, am infuriated when I see that, and no matter what their Cause is,...I couldn't care less about their Cause,...because of their very own Arrogance.
As Forrest Gump said, "That's all I have to say about that."
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Please allow me to add something an acquaintance of mine said about the military, Memorial Day, and honoring the veterans of this country.  His name is Luis, and he lives in Miami, Fla.

"I'm taking a moment to give thanks to those brave souls, men and women, who've GIVEN of themselves so that others (non-supporters) can enjoythe freedoms SOME take for granted or at times, think they're the only ones entitled to them.
     Being a former US Army Combat Engineer, having served during the end of Nam 74-76, didn't getto go, stayed stateside, I was 17 when I enlisted, 18 when they pulled out.  I served because my father had ingrained in me the importance of freedoms, having brought me as a youngster from another country, CUBA.  I served, and since I didn't want to go to school, he sort of told me what I had to do.  It was due to PATRIOTIC DUTY that was ingrained in me, to be GRATEFUL for an opportunity given to us and a chance to show that gratefulness.  It wasn't a happy time for soldiers then, as it is now, but some still served and gave their ALL.
    I tip my hat to those who gave all, those who are still missing, and those who continue to serve, along with their family members, who also give.  I just want to take a moment out to pray, bless, give thanks, and remember many.  Amen."
"This is not about politics, others' views, religion(s)."  

His words, not mine.  But I wholeheartedly applaud Luis.
It ain't over until it's over.
wpbc
Senior
Senior

Post by wpbc »

You asked a good question but then followed it up with a bad example by using the steelers and calling the rest of the team ingrates. Like I said they were only a few feet behind him and not in the locker room. 
You didn't answer my question. Is it disrespectful for most of the LHAC to be sitting in the locker room when the anthem is being played right outside. 
As for my upbringing read my post again  I said that people should stand and be respectful. 
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

As far as the Steelers were concerned, they were either on the field, or they were not. Only ONE player was on the field. The fans in the stands that day DID NOT LIKE what happened before the game. Right after that, we had the rash of fans burning their Steeler shirts, and vowing to never watch them again. Enough said.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

The WHOLE example was based upon the first or second week of the season when Villanueva was the ONLY one who did what was in his heart, his mind, his personal integrity, and he did it.  The rest should have had the backbone to back him up from 3 feet away, not back in the locker room.  That was a little more than 5 or 10 feet.  I was disappointed when he caved in later to his "buddies".  I forgive him that.  Tell me, what do you think Pat Tillman would have done when all this BS started?  FWIW, at FH games, the team is out on the floor when the Anthem is played.  Don't know where you got your info from on that one.  Maybe the rest of the league has gone rogue.
It ain't over until it's over.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Manfred wrote:The WHOLE example was based upon the first or second week of the season when Villanueva was the ONLY one who did what was in his heart, his mind, his personal integrity, and he did it.  The rest should have had the backbone to back him up from 3 feet away, not back in the locker room.  That was a little more than 5 or 10 feet.  I was disappointed when he caved in later to his "buddies".  I forgive him that.  Tell me, what do you think Pat Tillman would have done when all this BS started?  FWIW, at FH games, the team is out on the floor when the Anthem is played.  Don't know where you got your info from on that one.  Maybe the rest of the league has gone rogue.
Tillman’s wife has actually been quoted on numerous occasions saying her husband would have been disappointed with Trump using him as an example. She asked that people stop with the politicized use of his name and image because Pat along with many who lost their lives fought for the very action of self expression. She went on to say that America’s right to protest was why her husband gave his life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
Crimsoncrush67
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Crimsoncrush67 »

DragonsDoExist beat me to it, I would tread very softly when speaking about the Tillman family. Pat was pretty outspoken on a lot of the issues we have faced and are currently facing, as is his family.