The name says it all!
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Re: Pirates Second Half

Post by PAMDGrappler »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
PAMDGrappler wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:Pirates have reported interest in Rangers closer Keone Kela. 
I guess that would indicate they’re looking to move Vasquez?  They could probably get a nice little haul for him as almost every contender is looking for bullpen help.
I would think they are looking to get Vazquez a set-up man in that scenario. 
If they were 10 under, I'd probably trade Vazquez though. 
But why when Crick has been absolutely outstanding in that exact role?
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Post by PAMDGrappler »

I guess they could be looking to go to Crick in the 7th.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

It's just reported interest, so it might be nothing.  But I don't think you can ever have enough bullpen arms. Crick-Kela-Vazquez in the 7th, 8th, 9th would be nice.
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Post by PAMDGrappler »

You’re absolutely right about that. I guess my skeptical side keeps waiting for them to start shipping guys out.
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EaglealumsGhost »

Yanks have Chapman, Betances, Robertson, holder (best bullpen name nominee) and just got Zach Britton
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

11 in a row. Taillon going tomorrow for the sweep.
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Post by PAMDGrappler »

Keep it rollin’ boys!
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

All of baseball has played around 100 games.

Forget about names.

Dickerson has been a much better baseball player than McCutchen in 2018. Crick has been a nice addition to the pen. He's a top of the line back end guy. Reynolds has not been great in AA. He was injured for a bit though. Would we all have liked to see more in return? Yes. Did Pirate fans probably perceive Cutch has having a higher value than he should have? Yes.

Cole has been a stud. Flat out...stud. Knowing what he's done, I'd still take Moran and Musgrove as controllable pieces. Jason Martin has also been terrific in the minors.

Another post to come with what I'd potentially look at as the deadline approaches.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

The deadline is near.  What do fans want to do? 
Some of my meandering thoughts.
I am willing to trade Austin Meadows.  I'd prefer to keep him, but he could get a nice return. 
Could Reynolds, who Pittsburgh got from Houston be a bargaining chip?
Will Craig...with Bell here, is it ok to trade Craig?  Dude is mashing the ball.  People don't put up big HR numbers in the Eastern League if I remember correctly and he is at 17. 
Depending on the return....any of the shortstop prospects could go. 
Would I trade Keller?  Maybe. 
I would not want to trade Ke'Bryan Hayes.  Even though I mentioned him in an earlier post, I'd prefer to trade Moran if we gave up one of those guys.  

So, what do I want them to get though?  I have no clue.  I'm happy with the team as is, and don't see it as a true contender.  I see the team as a fun team to watch.  I don't see them as a team ready to compete with Boston, Houston, NYY, or Chicago.  The thing is...the AL has some great teams.  The surging Pirates are only 5 wins off of the team with the most wins in the NL (and people still complain like crazy).   I'm not a guy that thinks the GM and organization does no wrong, but I'm happy to watch a competitive baseball team.  Almost everybody is back next year.  In fact, most of the team is back for 2019 and 2020 as well.  If they went after it this year, by trading young talent, I wouldn't be upset.  It is what everyone wants to see.  What would it really gain though?  I think there are pieces that you can build around like the Penguins did.  I think this team can stay competitive for the next 2-4 years.  

So...to me, this looks like a bunch of rambling.  I don't know what the ultimate goal is.  Do I want a World Series that risks blowing up everything?  If so, what could realistically be added to take the team to that level? Do I want to keep watching good, fun baseball for the foreseeable future?  The team is built in such a way, that I don't see it falling off the map. I think the Pirates are kind of like the Oakland of the NL.  The NL isn't nearly as strong as the AL right now, so maybe...just maybe the Pirates will make a run at it in the next 2-3 years.  

PS. Is it coincidence that the outfield is healthy while this win streak is going on?  Those guys along with Bell and Taillon and Vazquez are the guys this team is built around.  Also...would I trade Vazquez if there was potential for a huge return?  You bet.  That's how we got him in the first place.  Would he command two starting pitchers that are the quality of Musgrove and a guy like Ke'Bryan Hayes talent wise? 

Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I'd still see what happens with the Mets series before I do any serious buying. Take 3/4 or 4/4, then I'll start lining up my trade pieces.