Movin' On Up

The name says it all!
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Re: Movin' On Up

Post by PAMDGrappler »

Yes, Syracuse deserved to be ranked but not #12....they only had 2 losses bc their non conference schedule was awful...if Pitt had played West Mich, Wagner, and UConn instead of Penn St, ND, and UCF, they would be ranked in the top 10 right now.  Level of competition matters,    which is why the non Power 5 teams get less love.  It doesn’t mean they’re not good, they just aren’t challenged week to week.  It’s a down year for the ACC and the Big 10 and even the PAC 10 for that matter, but that’s more an exception than the norm.  Even in an abnormally bad year, these 3 conferences are better than the AAC in my opinion.  Again, UCF has beaten Pitt, that’s their claim to fame this season. 
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Agree with all of that. For me when you have a 4 team playoffs and you have 4 or less undefeated teams they all should make top 4.

I am not comfortable saying a team did everything they should of by winning every game they played should be rewarded less than a team who has lost games.

At least with the 1 or 2 loss teams you can say, you could of won these games to qualify but when its a 0 loss team you say they never had a chance? Not right in my opinion
Tussey Mt. fan
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Tussey Mt. fan »

konjo78 wrote:I mean the #2 team voted in the polls was an undefeated SMU team. You could say it was earned or not earned but again its just rankings deciding who people think is the best, not playing on the field

I may be wrong on the year but I think SMU was on probation and ineligible to even participate in a Bowl game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Not an Ohio St. fan, and I don't think they're a playoff team. But I think it'd be a safe bet that they would be undefeated with UCF's schedule.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Penn State will move closer to the top 10 and their best win is....????
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PortagePride »

Colonel Mustard wrote:Penn State will move closer to the top 10 and their best win is....????
Wisconsin, Iowa, Pitt, Appalachian State...….. Wisconsin would be probably sitting atop the Big 10 West and going to the Big 10 Championship game If their QB doesn't get Injured a few weeks ago. App State would still only have one loss and still be ranked if their QB didn't get hurt on the 1st drive against Georgia Southern. Penn State Is moving up more on other teams in front of them LOSING, than them beating tough opponents that week.
lgb87cape
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by lgb87cape »

El-Moldo wrote:So? In 1982, Penn State was slaughtered by Alabama 42-21 on October 9th, but was still GIVEN the National Championship.
And pappy Guman referee ( pap of player Mike Guman)cheating against Nebraska on 4th down calling the pass to Mike McCloskey complete when he was clearly out of bounds and Guman was right there on the line calling him in...
lgb87cape
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by lgb87cape »

Tussey Mt. fan wrote:
El-Moldo wrote:So? In 1982, Penn State was slaughtered by Alabama 42-21 on October 9th, but was still GIVEN the National Championship.

GIVEN??? The National Championship. I thought they earned it by beating Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, actually they were given the National Championship they shouldn't  have played Georgia.  They lost to Nebraska at home but in those days you had unsanctioned referees doing division one football games and Mike Guman's pap made the worst call in college football history. Mike McCloskey was so obviously out of bound on the 4th down play at the 2. YouTube type in Penn State Nebraska 1982 and you'll  see.  
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

SMU finished the 1982 regular season 10-0-1. Their only blemish was a 17-17 tie against a tough Arkansas team. After their bowl win, they finished as the only undefeated college football team that year. PSU's huge loss against Alabama should have excluded them from contention for the National Championship.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

McCloskey admitted years later that it was out of bounds
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable