College football playoff race: Who do you think should get in?

The name says it all!
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: College football playoff race: Who do you think should get in?

Post by CCDevil2012 »

I just don’t understand your logic at all. Alabama gets criticized because besides playing teams like LSU, Miss St, Auburn, Texas A&M, etc., they also play Citadel. Yet UCF plays an entire schedule of teams that Alabama gets criticized for and in return are praised by guys like you. UCF’s best wins are Cincinnati, and a 5 LOSS Pitt team. Heck, look at this week alone, Alabama is prepping for Georgia while UCF is prepping for Memphis........
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

System is 100% broken. I laugh when people say play a tougher schedule because we all know the teams they would need to play wont even sniff a game against ucf.

They learned with boise state its a high risk no reward scenario. Because when you lose to them everyone will just pile on you but if you win people wont give you credit.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Not true, Houston went 13-1 and won the Peach Bowl in 2015. They got Oklahoma to play them opening week of 2016, and they got Louisville to come to Houston late in the year.  And....they actually beat both teams, problem was they choked in some conference games.  

If that Houston team went 13-0 with wins over a 10-win Oklahoma team and a 9-win Louisville team that had Lamar Jackson. I think they may have had enough firepower to get in.

If you look at the top 10 right now, everyone has multiple wins over currently ranked teams except for UCF, they don't have one at all. Systems not broken, they just don't have any good wins. 
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

CCDevil2012 wrote:I just don’t understand your logic at all. Alabama gets criticized because besides playing teams like LSU, Miss St, Auburn, Texas A&M, etc., they also play Citadel. Yet UCF plays an entire schedule of teams that Alabama gets criticized for and in return are praised by guys like you. UCF’s best wins are Cincinnati, and a 5 LOSS Pitt team. Heck, look at this week alone, Alabama is prepping for Georgia while UCF is prepping for Memphis........
I mean isnt it unfair for oklahoma,bama or georgia? Its not like Ohio state isnt prepping for a 4 loss Northwestern and clemson isnt preparing for a 5 loss pitt. 
Why only point out UCF as playing a "not high quality" opppnent this week? I never said alabama arent worthy of their #1 ranking but I will stand by the argument that 1 loss teams should not be in over undefeated teams. 
We have no problem letting W/L records effect rankings all the time. 
Texas A&M just beat LSU in OT this weekend but are ranked 19th to LSU's 10th, even though they have the same conference record. A&M has one more loss OOC to Clemson which is easily the toughest OOC opponent any SEC faced this year, I dont see anyone fighting A&M should be ahead of LSU even though according to your diagnosis they could be.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Not true, Houston went 13-1 and won the Peach Bowl in 2015. They got Oklahoma to play them opening week of 2016, and they got Louisville to come to Houston late in the year.  And....they actually beat both teams, problem was they choked in some conference games.  

If that Houston team went 13-0 with wins over a 10-win Oklahoma team and a 9-win Louisville team that had Lamar Jackson. I think they may have had enough firepower to get in.

If you look at the top 10 right now, everyone has multiple wins over currently ranked teams except for UCF, they don't have one at all. Systems not broken, they just don't have any good wins. 
That story helps your argument but also helps mine too. Maybe houston would of gotten in but also If oklahoma didnt play houston and got an easy W would they have got in go the playoffs? 11-1 conference champion probably would of gotten in over a washington
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

That was before the Big 12 championship game was reintroduced and Big 12 teams were complaining they were missing the playoffs because they played one fewer game, so Oklahoma needed the extra firepower of Houston on their schedule, so that game was thought to be a necessary move and a mutually beneficial situation.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

konjo78 wrote: I mean isnt it unfair for oklahoma,bama or georgia? Its not like Ohio state isnt prepping for a 4 loss Northwestern and clemson isnt preparing for a 5 loss pitt. 
Why only point out UCF as playing a "not high quality" opppnent this week? I never said alabama arent worthy of their #1 ranking but I will stand by the argument that 1 loss teams should not be in over undefeated teams. 
I could agree with you on Ohio State if they hadn’t just played at Michigan. And it’s not like Northwestern is a team you can sleep on, they’re ranked 21st. Can you tell me who UCF’s test was? 
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Cinci was their big test. Plus the rivalry games are always close. I'd say cincy is a better team than NW, just because NWs OOC losses this year were not good. They, like pitt, aren't really top or normal top 25 teams IMO.

Tests aren't as easy as people think. Memphis was a gut check game for UCF, down by 2 scores in the 4th and needed to come back and win. It might not always be against "top teams" but those type of wins really define for me the strength of a team. Ohio State succeeded once against Penn State in that area, later as well with maryland but they also just gave up vs a subpar Purdue team and let themselves be blown out by 29. Put Ohio State in UCF's schedule and they would of lost atleast 1 game with the effort they put into some games this year.
Last edited by konjo78 on November 29th, 2018, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:That was before the Big 12 championship game was reintroduced and Big 12 teams were complaining they were missing the playoffs because they played one fewer game, so Oklahoma needed the extra firepower of Houston on their schedule, so that game was thought to be a necessary move and a mutually beneficial situation.
Except for the fact that season Ohio State got into the playoffs despite not qualifying for their conference championship game
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

The obvious flaw in college football is there is no real opportunity for a school like UCF to join a Power 5 conference.