Is the Pirates starting pitching really that good?

The name says it all!
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Is the Pirates starting pitching really that good?

Post by PAMDGrappler »

The Pirates starting pitching has been downright dominant to start the season....or have they?  The ERA and runs allowed numbers certainly support their dominance, but when you look at the competition those numbers have been put up against, it makes you wonder.  They’ve had series’ against the lowly Reds (twice), the offensively inept Tigers and Giants, and a badly struggling Cubs club.  So how good is this staff?  

My take is that they are very good, but the numbers are definitely inflated (to be fair, I think the bullpen will settle in and end up being pretty good as well).  However, the weather is going to improve and the opponents hitting and run production is going to as well.  My fear, as I’ve stated since before the season began, is that the lack of offensive output is going to catch up with them.  I fear that a very good rotation is going to be wasted bc the offensive support is too futile.  I still see this team as a 70-80 win club, because, quite frankly, you have to score runs to win.    
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Is the Pirates starting pitching really that good?

Post by 12HankQB »

Every year we see our hitting go on a streak and they win a lot of games during that streak. They're winning the games without this right now. I like the lineup moving forward and the hitting will pick up. These are the times that always come back to haunt them, but they're winning these games instead of letting all of them slip by.

They'll be just fine. 90 wins.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Re: Is the Pirates starting pitching really that good?

Post by PAMDGrappler »

It sucks to think that they realistically SHOULD have 5-6 more wins if not for a struggling pen. I do question Clint’s use of his pen at times, but I think the injury to Crick had something to do with that.