FAT MAN RELAY!!!!!

PIAA- Track and Field
Sportsfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: FAT MAN RELAY!!!!!

Post by Sportsfan »

I have always been a fan of the "fat-man relay" or beef relay as my high school liked to call it...i know parents that loved to stay and watch and the throwers themselves loved it. they ran for fun and pride in knowing they beat the other relay. if they screwed up and dropped the baton, it was something for them to talk about and rag on one or two of the guys for. just kids having fun, nothing wrong with that
lifeisfootball79
Freshman
Freshman

Post by lifeisfootball79 »

it is actually a trasditional event at the bedford meet
today it was caroll v.s mccort v.s bedford
bedford won (used 2 skinny guys)
mccort 2nd (domination and a snickers bars at teh end)
carroll 3rd (steve greene eve nsaid he came for that event)
its one hell of a time... i love it
Bendover12
Senior
Senior

Post by Bendover12 »

first place in the fat man 400 BM with a time of 11:59
Second place goes to wastemont with a time of 12:45
Everyone else well thats still being decided
You might be a redneck if you think the last words to the Star Spangled Banner are "Play Ball
sportsfan5
Freshman
Freshman

Post by sportsfan5 »

fat man relay is only fun because the real athletes (sprinters) get to laugh at the "big kids" trying to get time on the track to shine..
Jolly Green
Senior
Senior

Post by Jolly Green »

So let me get this straight Sportsfan. You don't consider throwers to be "real" athletes?
If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else.
sportsfan5
Freshman
Freshman

Post by sportsfan5 »

im just saying.. they dont practice, and they dont run. they just throw stuff around.
bluelightning3
Freshman
Freshman

Post by bluelightning3 »

Many big men put in just as much time in the weightroom and condition just as much as the quicker more agile, thing guys do. They still deserve to be recognized as true athletes.
Jolly Green
Senior
Senior

Post by Jolly Green »

"They don't practice . . . they just throw stuff around" is an awfully narrow view of the throws. If you are a thrower, by definition, much of your practice time is going to be spent "throwing stuff around." There are very specific techniques that must be learned and then totally ingrained into a thrower in order for him/her to be successful. This can only come through repetition of the throwing motion over and over again. It can be a very intense and frustrating exercise because it is difficult to master any one of the throws, much less two or all three.

I challenge you to look at the top throwers in District 5 (Sheehan, Krupa, Shippey, etc.) or District 6 (Moreau, Gingrich, etc.) and tell me that they are not exceptional athletes.
If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else.
play maker
Freshman
Freshman

Post by play maker »

like sportsfan said they don't really practice...you even said all they do is technique...i know that if a coach tells sprinters they are going to work on technique and form it makes th sprinters day cuase it is so easy...all they do is stand around and wait for each other ot throw and then throw something themselves
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.......Vince Lombardi
LionDad77
Junior
Junior

Post by LionDad77 »

OK play maker & sportsfan5 because anyone can do it and runners are more of an athlete this should be easy for both of you. I'll meet you at your school and bring the implements for throwing and we will see if you can do better( you will because your better athletes) than the D5 Champs did in their events. As for the relay it is something that the throwers do to have a little fun and bragging rights with the other throwers. It does not take long to do and usually the coaches are still talking to each other so leaving on the bus is normally not held up.