track is soon!!

PIAA- Track and Field
roadrunner13
Sophomore
Sophomore

track is soon!!

Post by roadrunner13 »

ahh track is starting soon! any thoughts?
madhatter
Freshman
Freshman

Re: track is soon!!

Post by madhatter »

looking forward to a change in sports--winter sports are getting tedious. Love a sport where a kid can put forth effort and actually get recognized for the effort, unlike many of the so-called "team" sports.
wickedcrossover
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by wickedcrossover »

Madhatter, interesting point. Track and field is one sport, similiar to wrestling and swimming and a few others, where parents can't say that their child should be playing ahead of some other kid. The clock and distance do not lie.
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by usatf oldguy »

wickedcrossover wrote:Madhatter, interesting point. Track and field is one sport, similiar to wrestling and swimming and a few others, where parents can't say that their child should be playing ahead of some other kid. The clock and distance do not lie.
Thats why I love the sport so much!
zonebreaker
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by zonebreaker »

I'm hoping northern cambria girls win their 4th straight d6 title. i figure their main cometition will be richland and central cambria.

which teams are the favorites in d6 boys and d5 girls and boys
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by usatf oldguy »

District 5 should be up in the air a little in boys and girls.Alot of teams lost alot of talent in district 5 last year.Northern Cambria girls should be loaded again,I'm curious to see if dunchack can win her 4th consecutive state title in the high jump.What a feat that would be! It should be interesting to watch the gehret boy from altoona to see if he improves.Not often you get to see nationally ranked talent.I don't know who the team is to watch in district 6 boys but in the girls I'm sure richland and central cambria will have an impact on whether NC can win a 4th.
wickedcrossover
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Gerhat at indoor track had the number one time in nation at on time or other in the 200 and 400(I think). If you haven't seen this kid run, then I highly suggest going out of your way to do so. Sometimes it looks like his feet aren't even touching the ground and guys, I'm not exagerating! The kid is special.
zonebreaker
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by zonebreaker »

Altoona boys were big winners at the Indoor state meet. Congrats to them and Gehret for his blistering times!

Congrats also to Homer-Center sophomore Angel Piccirillo for winning the 1600 indoor title with a time of 4:56, 8th fastest in the nation this year, while also finishing 6th in the 800. Piccirillo passed State College's Chloe Schmidt for the 1600 title. She only started running the 1600 this winter to build endurance for her 400 and 800. She's only run it 4 times, won them all, and in her fourth, she wins the indoor state title beating an outstanding runner to do it (Schmidt was the meet MVP for finishing 2nd in 1600, winning 800, and anchored 5th place 3200 relay)
wickedcrossover
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Piccerillo also did well in XC this year. If I'm not mistaken, I think she medalled at states.
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

4:56 for a soph girl is outstanding, especially since she has rarely run the 1600m. Having 400/800m speed certainly helps a miler type, more than lots of endurance and mileage, IMO.

I ran against a kid by the name of Dellafiora from Homer back in the day. Good athlete in football, hoops, and track. He was a 1:58 800m guy.

WT
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown