Wednesday 2/4 scores

Hardwood chatter
ctindian00
Senior
Senior

Wednesday 2/4 scores

Post by ctindian00 »

Apparently It is not well received when I describe what happens during a game, so I'll keep it brief.

North Star was absolutely manhandles by a Township team that was healthy and finally resolved their problems with one another. Jones and Duray both found their grooves. Each scoring in double digits in the first half and combining for almost 40 points. Zellem was held in check and was in foul trouble early for his overzealous play and Petrilla hurt his ankle part way through the 2nd quarter and was limited to about a quarter or so of playing time after that.

But, with or without him, North Star just couldnt compete with the Indians who, if even for just one night, finally got their act together. Township led 17-7 after 1 quarter and 27-15 at the half. The second half was all Township and the Indians rolled easily to a 30+ point win.

The refs were subpar as usual, but were not nearly as biased against CT as a few other teams from the area are. The fouls were called pretty evenly with CT getting (i think) called for 17 fouls to North Stars 15 if i remember right. The refs were disappointing in the fact that, much like the Windber game, all of North Star's fouls against CT were called on the outside and were floor fouls while CT kept getting called for in-the-lane and shooting fouls but could barely get any calls inside.

The refs didnt matter though as CT got rolling and Coach Lesko got his team tuned-up and into playoff mode.

Township 67
North Star 36
"I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.” -Jim Valvano
Prince Sidewinder
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Wednesday 2/4 scores

Post by Prince Sidewinder »

Blacklick Valley got knocked around by Portage tonight, 66-45. Blacklick could not hit a shot in the first half only making 6 field goals (2 three pointers) to score 19 at the half.

Big win for Township! Do you think Petrilla will be sidelined with this injury?
D-Berries1000
Junior
Junior

Post by D-Berries1000 »

Township wins and he still finds a way to **** about the refs. Unreal... anyways durray and jones combined for almost 40 points and this means they played like a team when two of windbers kids had almost the same point total against CT and that wasnt playing like a team. This just goes to show how much of a phony you are who doesnt know what there talking about. Let me guess if CT would have lost you would have bitched about the fouls even tho they got called for more. Maybe your little indians just need to start playing alittle harder and learning how to bang it out in the paint because if they **** and you **** about the inside calls you guys arent going to do anything in the playoffs. I just find it alittle overwhleming that you think that them scoring 40 points combined is playing like a team but windber does the same thing and they dont play like a team. You my friend. ARE STILL A JOKE.! :lol:
Prince Sidewinder
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Prince Sidewinder »

CTIndian, he is right you do come up with a lot of complaints. I said it before, a good team does not allow the officials to dictate the outcome of the game. For example, how can we blame officials when a team shoots 30% from the floor and turns the ball over 21 times?

It seems to me that, and again I do not know you from the man in the moon, but would you like to coach Conemaugh Township? You are hard on Coach Lesko and seem to have a genuine love of CT Hoops. You talk about him not being a motivator or strategists. You say you have a coaching background, did you get overlooked for this job?

I personally feel that CTs struggles throughout this season were due to the fact that Matt JOnes did not play up to his expectations. You mention his stellar defense but offensively he has been way below what I think was expected from him.
philip's dad
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by philip's dad »

Fannett-Metal blew out Ridge tonight
Sneakers
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Sneakers »

NB picked up a road win at So fulton...46-41 I believe I was told.
ctindian00
Senior
Senior

Post by ctindian00 »

D-Berries1000 wrote:Township wins and he still finds a way to **** about the refs. Unreal... anyways durray and jones combined for almost 40 points and this means they played like a team when two of windbers kids had almost the same point total against CT and that wasnt playing like a team. This just goes to show how much of a phony you are who doesnt know what there talking about. Let me guess if CT would have lost you would have bitched about the fouls even tho they got called for more. Maybe your little indians just need to start playing alittle harder and learning how to bang it out in the paint because if they **** and you **** about the inside calls you guys arent going to do anything in the playoffs. I just find it alittle overwhleming that you think that them scoring 40 points combined is playing like a team but windber does the same thing and they dont play like a team. You my friend. ARE STILL A JOKE.! :lol:
WEll first, to Dberries....the bit about the refs was just to prove a point. The officiating in District 5 is extremely subpar compared to D6 and D3. If CT would have lost, it would have been entirely their own fault, not the refs...so again, you have me pegged all wrong. Duray and Jones combined for ALMOST 40 points in a game where 70 points for CT were scored. And yes, I WILL ONLY SAY THIS ONCE: I admit I WAS WRONG to say that Windber wasn't playing like a team when those 2 scored 40 together. I still refuse, however, to back down to the claim that had that game been officiated properly, that CT would have lost by that many points. They still may have lost the game, and they didnt deserve to win. ANd i'll go a step further as to say that Windber is starting to come into their own and they proved that by beating a tough ferndale team tonight which i;m sure was a tough and very emotional game....congrats to windber.

I have to say, however that, you ARE wrong about me being a joke and saying I dont know what Im talking about. YES, i was (read above) about the windber game in what i said about them not playing like a team and possibly, i repeat POSSIBLY, incorrect about the refs affecting the outcome of the game to the extent of who won. I am man enough to admit that and I do so after you called me on it. But, I am someone offended as a human that you would call me a joke. But, as for my knowledge and grasp on the game, I am not bothered by what you say. I have been a coach for a very successful team and was all but named as the successor to the head coach of a AAA school who was going to retire in the next few years. If a school with a good, succesful program had promised me a job as head coach...then someone has a differing opinion than you on whether or not I know the game.

But, I am willing to bury the hatchet about what I said and let bygones be bygones.

Now,
Prince Sidewinder wrote:CTIndian, he is right you do come up with a lot of complaints. I said it before, a good team does not allow the officials to dictate the outcome of the game. For example, how can we blame officials when a team shoots 30% from the floor and turns the ball over 21 times?

It seems to me that, and again I do not know you from the man in the moon, but would you like to coach Conemaugh Township? You are hard on Coach Lesko and seem to have a genuine love of CT Hoops. You talk about him not being a motivator or strategists. You say you have a coaching background, did you get overlooked for this job?

I personally feel that CTs struggles throughout this season were due to the fact that Matt JOnes did not play up to his expectations. You mention his stellar defense but offensively he has been way below what I think was expected from him.

As for you, mighty prince: You are right, I do complain a lot which may have to do with my bias for CT. But, i digress. You should have noticed by now however that my biggest complaints regarding CT athletics are A) the coaching and B) the officiating. I want to say that I have been to many D6 basketball games and even the most poorly officiated game was not as bad as the best officiated game in District 5...and I dont just mean CT. I think that I have a fair and correct point to say that the D5 officiating is just not on the level that it should be.

Although I would like to coach Conemaugh Township, I was not passed up for the job, nor did I ever submit my name for candidacy. I am not well liked by their principle, AD, or superinteded as I clashed with them in high school over non-sports related issues. I do have a coaching background, however, but would only coach in D5 if the opportunity was right (probably Windber or NS). The reason I complain so much about coaches is that CT once ruled the westPac in their 3 biggest sports becuase of great coaching. Scott Cable will never be measured up to as a basketball coach, as far as Im concerned (not that people shoudlnt be given a chance, i'm just saying); Sam Zambanini is a terrible FOOTBALL coach who tends to play people for his own agendas, and not for the best interest of the team. The allegiances between the principle and AD at Conemaugh far outweight the experience or superiority of any other candidate than the ones that the AD or principle want...that's the story plain and simple.

Now...what I am about to tell you is not a complaint, and should not be taken as me whining or trying to give some kind of excuse as to why CT did not live up to expectations. Matt Duray is a good guy, he's a good football player and a good basketball player. Football is his sport and it is what he wants to play in college. Matt Jones, Duray's best friend, plays football and is a good defender, but is also a good basketball player; basketball is HIS sport. After Kevin Byer graduated and early before this season, Scott Cable sort of mentored Jones (and still does) to be the new leader of the team. Although Jones had some mechanical issues to start the season, his biggest problem was his confidence. Well, as the season started to progress and CTs road began to get tougher, Matt Duray began to call out Jones at practice and during games, calling him a ball-hog and complaining that he wasnt getting the ball to Duray enough in the post.

Well, given that Duray averages between 15-20 points on any given night, you can see how HIM calling another player, especially a good friend, a ballhog would cause problems with the team. The team started to turn on Duray in practice and shut him out, causing problems and bad chemistry during games. This would have all been fine and good if the players could have confronted Duray and try to come to an amicable solution and get things back on the right track. The only problem was, coach Lesko favors Duray and has never really liked Matt Jones all that much. So from the middle of the season, Lesko started to pick on the wrong person and began taking Jones out of games if he missed a 3 pointer or got called for a foul. As one might guess, this took quite the toll on Jones' confidence and he began to slump terribly, having a string of bad performances the likes of which he hadnt seen since freshman year.

Well, at tonights game, a few of us heard over the weekend and over the past few days, Duray and Jones kind of resolved their issues and the team got together and rebuilt their trust and got back their chemistry. Furthermore, a few Days ago, Cable got together with matt and talked to him about leadership and just playing for the passion of the game and playing as a leader instead of worrying about what happens between his teammates off the court.

CT came out, warmed up, and played a full four quarters as a team for practically the first time all season and THAT is why they were able to handle north star like they did.

So, to sum it all up. Prince, it's not so much that Jones didnt live up to his expectations as it was that there was a signifant lack of chemistry and thus, team leadership, that led CT to trudge through their season as an average team.

If they continue to play as a team and with the same mentality as they did tonight, along with good perimiter defense, CT should be able to roll against Portage, defeat Conemaugh Valley at home and be a strong presence in the D5 playoffs. If that is the case, I would not be surprised (and this is a completely unbiased statement) to see Conemaugh Township make it to the district semifinal and possible make it to the State playoffs as a 3rd seed.
"I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.” -Jim Valvano
D-Berries1000
Junior
Junior

Post by D-Berries1000 »

First off. stop complaining about the refs here. If you like district 6 and 3 so much get the hell outta dodge and go be over there somewhere. Your not there, these arent the same officials so stop complaining because your stuck with it. Im sorry if i truely offended you because im sure if we actually new eachother we'd get along just fine. Im sorry i dont like people who complain about **** like almost this and almost that and if this woulda happened this wouldnt have blah blah blah. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades so stop ur bithchin!!!!
ctindian00
Senior
Senior

Post by ctindian00 »

D-Berries1000 wrote:First off. stop complaining about the refs here. If you like district 6 and 3 so much get the hell outta dodge and go be over there somewhere. Your not there, these arent the same officials so stop complaining because your stuck with it. Im sorry if i truely offended you because im sure if we actually new eachother we'd get along just fine. Im sorry i dont like people who complain about **** like almost this and almost that and if this woulda happened this wouldnt have blah blah blah. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades so stop ur bithchin!!!!
as i said above you are right. BUt the only almost i complained about was the windber game and admitted that i was very likely wrong. So all I'm asking for from you is just the slightest bit of acknowledgement that the D5 refs are just not as good as any other refs in the area
uhohherewego
Freshman
Freshman

Post by uhohherewego »

I agree actually but after teams have played 15+ games with them they SHOULD be used to their "subpar" calls by now.