All-time scorers in the State.

Hardwood chatter
Sneakers
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Sneakers »

Yeah but I don't think you would want to be in court today Nas. Keep your record and let Kobe have his money (and his problems)!
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Hmmm

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

I realize that 3600+ points is a lot of baskets over 4 years, but...

Which is more impressive???

A player scoring over 3600 points vs. mostly competition that amounted to Little Sisters of the Poor and the 8-9th grade level of CYO ball...Basically little more than a 4 year uncontested shoot around for 32 minutes nearly every game...

OR

A player scoring over 2000 points vs. difficult night-in/night-out AAAA competition while being the focal point of every opposing team's defensive gameplan for 4 years straight against very talented AAAA athletes.

Let's allow the posters to decide.

WT
noname
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by noname »

TITAN. HAve did u see aj ever play?? are u questioning his scoring or his playing ability?? I need that clarified first before i can respond. aS IT pertains to the competition he saw in high school??
noname
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by noname »

TO answer your question I am sure both hold alot of merit. WHo is to say WHO NOW who is to say AJ would not of done this at a bigger school. U cant say he could of or couldnt of. I know u question the opponents AJ faced in his career. They were not the same caliber as bigger schools obviously. BUt can U say without a doubt that AJ or anybody else couldnt do it at a bigger school because they played at a smaller school?? I think any basketball player would love to hold any kind of record that AJ holds. THe boy could shoot the ball. HE could play. Just my opinion I no alot of people would disagree with what I am saying. He holds the record and he could play some ball. AGain I think either of your questions hold alot of merit and prestige.
IKE
Junior
Junior

Post by IKE »

I still remember that night he broke the record. It was nutz. Every shot that went up the place went crazy with camera flashes and people yell'n. It wasn't a whole lot of fun waiting in line to get into Hollidaysburg Jr. High School.

I'd have to say that's what really made me want to play basketball. I wish it was as popular now as it was then at Northern Bedford. We need to get some more butts in the stands. Wait...we need to win a game first.
Sto
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Sto »

I remeber both Smiteye89 and I were both in attendance that night.
"Guitar man playin' all night long, Take me back to where the music hit me, Life was good and love was easy"-Montgomery Gentry
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

I was in attendance myself...On the other side of the bench and it was a great memory. I know the kids at Everett appreciated being a part of history. We knew how the Washington Generals must have felt playing the Globetrotters all those years. Other schools were offered the game before Everett but turned it down primarily because they felt there kids were being "used" and wanted no part of it. CR's coach wanted to do it but administration/board said "NO Way"...Some people in the Everett community weren't real happy about being the "sacrificial lamb" either but ask the kids on that team what they thought and they really enjoyed the atmosphere and the experience and the challenge of making him get those 5 points he needed as late in the game as possible (It never happened till mid-second quarter). Never forget the crowd booing when we ran our slow down offense and then half hour later giving us perhaps one of the most heartfelt ovations of the night when our players presented AJ with an award.
Sneakers
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Sneakers »

I was there too. Wow what a night! A memorable night for all from A. J. himself, to the players and coaches from both schools, to the officials, ( including 2 prominent TM alumni) down to the average fan from everywhere. I might dig out the tape of the evening and watch it soon.
voncap
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by voncap »

My question to Titan would be, who determines what is tough competition? Granted "A" schools play at different level than "AAAA" schools that is a given, but who says just because your playing a quad school that you are playing tough competition.

You make it sound like those 2,000 points were scored playing against the top team every night. I can't believe that there weren't some teams that those 2,000 points were scored against that were poorly coached and not very good.
If the competition level was that spectacular when those 2,000 points were scored, there should be a least a dozen other players from WPIAL AAAA schools(assuming that is the competition you are referencing) playing big time D-I basketball. Is that the case?
The easiest thing to do in sports is hustle.
voncap
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by voncap »

A followup. I don't believe an accomplishment can be diminished by comparing it to another accomplishment. Most of the time it becomes a preverbial apples to oranges comparison. By your standards, we should lessen the accomplishment of the original record held by T. McMillen because he didn't do it playing against WPIAL AAAA competition every night.

For example: do we think any less of Barry Bonds' HR record because he accomplished it in a time when pitching quality is thinned by having too many teams, the baseball is juiced, and performance enhancing drugs are is use. How many HR's would Babe Ruth have hit in his 60 HR season if the above factors would have been present. This is just an example.
The easiest thing to do in sports is hustle.