Southern Fulton Basketball

Hardwood chatter
SFindians34
Freshman
Freshman

Southern Fulton Basketball

Post by SFindians34 »

What do you think of the way Southern Fulton has open up their season, being 6-3 (2-2 in the Sidling Hill League)? Shocked? Impressed? Expected? To early to tell? Let me know what you think
Quick13Lefty
Senior
Senior

Post by Quick13Lefty »

luck
Smiteye89
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Smiteye89 »

If their guard play improves, they will be tough to beat in D5 during the post season.
Smit-eye
SlapStick00
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by SlapStick00 »

what does their schedule look like?
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

S.Fulton is very talented....shaky guard play is only thing from being more consistent. Big wins over B.Walsh and Everett, heartbreaking loss at TM and loss that they could look back at later as very costly at C.Ridge.
Had them pegged as co-fav w/Everett in SHL at beginning of the year but unless they win AT Everett (based on two league road losses in Dec.) they can forget the SHL.

Co-favorite with Shanksville in 5-A. Coach Hendershot, one of the most underrated coaches in the region, has the Indians rolling and they are going to be good for years to come. Only disappointment in two games I've seen is that Schriver doesn't seem to have improved. All their other players have developed nicely....Iffert, True are as nice a forward tandem as you'll find, combining ballhandling, rebounding, and scoring skills and this team seems to play defense better than other SF Quintets I can remember. Again, guard play is the key, they did not handle M-M fullcourt pressure well at Tussey at all.
Sto
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Sto »

I have faith the Southern will be taking the D-5 title two years straight, though it does send a heart bursting spear to my chest to say this.
"Guitar man playin' all night long, Take me back to where the music hit me, Life was good and love was easy"-Montgomery Gentry
SFindians34
Freshman
Freshman

Post by SFindians34 »

The rest of the schedule for the SF boys team consists of several hard games such as, playing Everett again tomorrow at Everett, Shanksville the next night, Bishop Walsh again in late Jan. Tussey Mt early Feb. Chestnut Ridge early Feb. Then there is always the possiblity of an upset with any team in the District. So they have a lot of work cut out for themselves if they want to go all the way.
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Off Topic

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

Off the Topic a bit, but...

I recall seeing a lot of games in the newspaper in the mid-80s to early 90s where teams like Southern Fulton, Forbes Road, and Fannett-Metal ran up some ungodly scores. I recall a SF/FM game producing a final score of something like 115-103, and I know that SF, FM, and FR all broke 100 points several times duirng that time period. Almost like some of the Juniata Valley teams of 5-10 years ago. Those games must have been like a very good report card----NO "D"!!!!!!

Entertaining games to watch, I suppose...Unless you're Kraig Hetz or Pete Carrill.

Head Roadie--BTW, speaking of KHetz, did you catch the Titans double digit beating of Toona Saturday in the Mirror? To Toona's credit, they played well early and we came out flat, but we outscored Toona 54-27 from 3:00 left in the 1st quarter to 3:00 left in the game. Shaler junior combo guard Nick Sefscik (the kid who you saw last year vs. Toona who was at about 50% due to a high ankle sprain) lit up the Mt. Lions for 28, and dominated the game in the 2nd half. Nick missed some shots early that he usually hits or he would have had around 40.

...KHetz=NOT pleased!

W~T
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

Yes, I caught the Shaler -tuna writeup and score...sounded like tuna hung for awhile before going away.

Speaking of some of those wild SHL games, my fav was a 129-96 Everett win over F-Metal in 1989. The Warriors had 38 pts. at the end of 1 Qtr., 70 at the half, and were stuck on 99 the last 2 min of the third Qtr...crowd was going nuts and with pressure on to hit the century mark in the third, Everett kids missed three front end of one & one's and numerous layups with the pressure on.

Fulton County teams have always been great shooters and on those small floors, with two good teams, there could be some pretty wild games.
PRL
Junior
Junior

Post by PRL »

they must have to do it without 3's from the foul line extended to the baseline. Because half of the courts in Fulton Co. you can't fit your feet between the 3 line and the sideline.