Coach Bails out at Halftime

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
SouthSide Johnny
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Coach Bails out at Halftime

Post by SouthSide Johnny »

CTFan - I find it hard to believe that you can post things while your on school time, You should be helping students with school work or preparing a better lesson to help instruct students. You should not be posting about the coach at CT, who I believe is your colleague.
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

Walking out on a youth team, or giving a cold shoulder isn't a motivational tactic. It isn't good coaching, either. It is a selfish act that says "I am bigger than this team". Walking out on a youth team only serves one purpose - to place the blame on the kids not the coach. When the egos are too big, then the coach needs to go! Most high school coaches will never do that because of the size of the ego. Could this be the case at CT?
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

It's the 2001 AA state championship game. Washington High School is losing 12-7 at halftime. After coach Guy Montecalvo gives his final instructions about X's and O's, he tells his team that this will be his last game; that he will be retiring from coaching when the game is over. The players were stunned. One assistant coach began to dry. Wash High goes on to win the game 19-12. After the game, he tell his assistants and players that he was only kidding, that he had NO intention of quitting, win or lose. What a knee-slapper!!! Although they won the state title, alot of people were pi$$ed off about how this was handled. Hey, maybe if he had told everyone in the locker room that he had a tumor and had only one month to live, they could have scored 50 points.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I don't have a problem with a coach doing something like walking out or anything. When I played sports, if a coach did that, you knew you had to pick it up. If anything, from a coaching and from playing sports, I've only ever seen positive results.
WilsonJet
Senior
Senior

Post by WilsonJet »

I am sure not everyone who post actually played sports. I have been walked out on by coaches, yelled at by coaches, grabbed by coaches (so you know I didn't play in this candy a@& era) and it's all good. I laugh about it now and it is great for stories at the class reunions!! Never do I remember telling my parents about locker room speaches and rants.
CharlieTweeder
Freshman
Freshman

Post by CharlieTweeder »

Sam is a great coach and has been around for years, maybe he used it for a motivational tool, but I know some coaches have used it before and sometimes it works. I highly doubt there is anyone who wants to win more than him. I am going to tell a story here that I heard about a district here in pa. After a game a lady and her husband walk up to a fan and say I dont know why we cant win here. Our team is huge we have good athletes, we win a junior high then we lose at varsity. He has to be that head coach he has no idea what he is doing. Ok yes it could be the coaching, but how bout the fact that maybe your kids arent getting better, maybe kids at other schools are putting in time in the summer and improving, while your kids stay the same. At what point are the parents going to be parents and hold the kids accountable. Thats what wrong with society today... Everyone wins... Everyone plays... Everyone is happy...Everyone gets a trophy. This isnt how life works get a clue people!!!!!!! I know I kind of got off topic, but Sam is a good coach, good guy, and he has won more games than some of the bleacher coaches in this site.
RamblinMan
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by RamblinMan »

CharlieTweeder wrote:Sam is a great coach and has been around for years, maybe he used it for a motivational tool, but I know some coaches have used it before and sometimes it works. I highly doubt there is anyone who wants to win more than him. I am going to tell a story here that I heard about a district here in pa. After a game a lady and her husband walk up to a fan and say I dont know why we cant win here. Our team is huge we have good athletes, we win a junior high then we lose at varsity. He has to be that head coach he has no idea what he is doing. Ok yes it could be the coaching, but how bout the fact that maybe your kids arent getting better, maybe kids at other schools are putting in time in the summer and improving, while your kids stay the same. At what point are the parents going to be parents and hold the kids accountable. Thats what wrong with society today... Everyone wins... Everyone plays... Everyone is happy...Everyone gets a trophy. This isnt how life works get a clue people!!!!!!! I know I kind of got off topic, but Sam is a good coach, good guy, and he has won more games than some of the bleacher coaches in this site.
I agree with you. Way too many parents are sheltering their kids...protecting them to the point that they don't even want their kids to be told the truth in case it hurts their feelings. I'll add something else, in todays age with all the social media, our kids are not going to be able to interact out in the real world. Heck, most of them have their face buried in a phone or computer screen more than than they communicate like we did in the old days...face to face.

I want my sons coaches to be real. Stopping short of "real" physical punishment, I want them to chew their behinds out when they need it. I want them to be honest with my boys. Call a spade a spade...if they stink...tell them they stink. I don't the boys having any false illusions. Being told the truth may actually help them become better men..
CharlieTweeder
Freshman
Freshman

Post by CharlieTweeder »

I agree with the aspect of social media as well. I know I am beating a deadhorse here, but if you look at the numbers of teams in the area all of the numbers are down, so that mean people are not playing football. 25 years from now these parents that didnt play football will think their kids are awesome and yet they will have no idea what its like to be in a locker room getting chewed out because the parents were in the band or some other activity. I played in the 90s for a coach that I am not going to name, but he taught me more than any textbook or teacher every could. He chewed me out numerous times, hit me a few times well more than a few times, and threw things at me during films. I guess those things are not politically correct these days, but it got you results.

Here is a little story, playing in the second game of the year my senior year, I came through on a trap and didnt use the technique taught to me and I got destoryed game up a 60 yard td. So I stared the next D series on the bench, they broke a 20 yard run and he turned and punched me square in the chest, it almost knocked me over. Some parent said to my dad I cant believe your letting him do that to your son and "my dad responds with did you see what he did, he was selfish and left his teammates out to dry." "He deserves it and will get more of it when he gets home" I guess thats how times are changes and those old school parents are far and few between.
Blue Blood
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Blue Blood »

May playing days were eons ago, but when my team was losing at halftime of an early season home game my senior year, to a team that was in the midst of a very long losing streak, our head coach only said one sentence to us; "If you want to be the first team to lose to them in three years, you're on your own" and then turned around and walked out, with the assistants right behind him. It was EXACTLY what we needed at EXACTLY the right time. Does that one example make it a valid tactic in EVERY case where it is employed, probably not, but it sure did work for him that night, because we came back in the second half and won easily.
Prince Sidewinder
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Prince Sidewinder »

Don't you love participation trophies!! Unbelievable! Now they are giving choices, do you want a t-shirt or a trophie? In regards to winning in Junior High and not in Varsity, when you think you are good enough some quit working hard.