Sid Bream curse is OVER!!

The name says it all!
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Sid Bream curse is OVER!!

Post by Eaglealum »

See what happens, I open my mouth and the bucs got a run on that situation.... Although the ball bounced off pitcher first and bucs got benefit of bad call.... But hey, we'll take it
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Locke is back, Wandy is coming back, maybe with 2 or 3 starts before the end of season, Grilli is working his way back into shape, Marte is almost back. Everything is looking rosy in 'da 'Burgh!
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I wouldn't say Locke is "back". But that was a very encouraging start. A lot of Locke's success is based of whether he gets the calls on the corners. He doesn't miss by much but he ran into some umpires that refused to give him the calls. Locke, like any pitcher, needs to not be so afraid to pitch to contact. Not saying throw meatballs down the middle, but throw more hittable pitches and try to induce more grounders. Clearly the scouting report on Locke is lay off pitches and make him work. It certainly has worked for 2 months. Hopefully he can adjust over the offseason and come out strong again next year. I am confident in saying Locke should not start a playoff game, and that includes the last 3 games against Cincinnati.
S Cube
Administrator Team
Administrator Team

Post by S Cube »

My thoughts exactly on Locke, Crimson. He nibbles on the corners so much. If he's nipping the black and getting those called strikes, then he can get chases on his changeup and curve in the dirt. When he's just missing those corners and falling behind, it's easier for the hitters to lay off his offspeed stuff.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Good points. My use of the expression "he's back" was a gut response to previous performance. It shows what he's capable of, but you have to wonder on a start to start basis what you're going to get.
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

The curse is truly broken now that the PIRATES are promised game 163 which is officially a playoff game after 20 years of frustration!! We'll see what happens in the next 5 games. Whatever happens I think this team has accopmplished a lot. Hopefully it doesn't end for a while
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

Amen. And how appropriate is it that the final out of the game that broke the curse of Bonds lollipop throw that couldn't get bream at the plate, started with a strike from the outfield from a true MVP to a relay from a former AL MVP ( who made 2 nice defensive plays in last inning himself) to peg the guy at the plate.... AWESOME
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
S Cube
Administrator Team
Administrator Team

Post by S Cube »

I would have rather seen a Cardinal loss and a celebration tomorrow, but hey it's always nice to pop a few bottles.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

What is it with Melancon all of a sudden? THREE consecutive blown saves. Throw a few pitches inside, for Pete's sake. Give him the next week off to think about it. We can get by OK with Watson, Wilson, Grilli. Where's Mazzaro been? Throw him in the mix too. It's a good thing Morneau is so good on defense, because his O has been almost non-existant. Change the batting order too. Move Byrd and Pedro up a spot each, drop Morneau to 6. Or 7, w/ Martin or Mercer 6. I say 2w-3l out of the next 5.
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

Melancon hasn't been great but think about last 2 outings... Mercer doesn't airmail the one and none of those runs or hits happen... And last night if hurdle didn't have Pedro and Barmes at the edge of the grass ... Same deal... He's been getting hit but he's using his defense and they hosed him
.... A. Einstein