2015 Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason

The name says it all!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: 2015 Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I think Russell Martin helps the pitchers to a degree, but he isn't what is driving them entirely like some believe. Searage does a good job with these guys, but their individual talent is also what is carrying them here.
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

BM= before Martin
AM= after Martin
Staff ERA near 5 BM
Under 4 AM..... Searage there for both.
138steals 1year BM ...less than 25caught
Less than 138 even attempted in 2 years AM... 50%caught

Not to mention Russ is #1 in all MLB not just among catchers, at BA with 2 out Nd runners on base... For that reason alone he's worth whatever he wants.
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Diaz already getting rave reviews in the Arizona Fall League.
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

I liked him 2 years ago. Like I said.if I was making decisions (be thankful I'm not lol). Diaz would be backup now. Tony Sanchez would be working at 1st or 3rd(platoon or next JHay), Martin would have a 3/4 yr deal til the kid they drafted last year either ousts Diaz or diaz takes over in 2018
I'd like to know why they weren't high on Diaz. In the first place. His arm is a rocket launcher and his avg came up this year... But even when it was a lil lower he barreled everything up. I'd have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure his k ratio is pretty good(not positive) every game I saw, he was a contact guy.
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
crfball
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by crfball »

Martin got a 15.3 million qualifying offer extended to him....at least we'll get the draft pick
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

Still hoping but at this point I'd say Martin coming back is 50/50 at best. Lets toss some names out we'd either like to see or good possibility. Still think Cory hart has some big years left if he's healthy, and it won't happen, but would love markakis as insurance on the 2 star youngins if their development slows or with injuries. Plus he's a great clubhouse guy. Probably headed to mets though
.... A. Einstein
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PortagePride »

The Red Sox are the leading contender for Russell Martin from what I read.

Side Note: Kind of Ironic that Travis Ishikawa hits the walk off HR to send the Giants to the World Series after he started the season with the Bucco's.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Yeah. Davis was SUCH an improvement. I think his season highlight was his first game as a Buc. It tapered off from there.
It ain't over until it's over.
voncap
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by voncap »

Here is my outside the box thinking wish list.

I would offer Alvarez and Pimentel to the Phillies for Cole Hamel with the Phillies kicking in 10 mill in 2015, 8 mill in 2016, and 6 mill in 17 & 18 towards Hamel's ridiculous salary of 23 mill each year for the next four years. The Bucs can use the money saved from W. Rodriquez's salary (7.5 mill) and Martin's (9.5 mill) to pay their share of Hamel's salary.

I would add Alvarez's 4.2 mill salary and offer Liriano a two year 18. or 19 mill contract.

Then I would offer Hansen and a "B' level pitching prospect (Heredia or Cumpton if they want someone closer to major league ready) to the Padres for Ian Kennedy. He is up for Arbitration and his salary will probably go to 7.5-8 mill in 2105. A salary well within the Pirate FO's budget. The Bucs can cover his salary with the money saved by not resigning Volquez. Kennedy is a FA after 2015 so the Bucs probably won't be able to resign him, but by then hopefully some combination of Taillon, Kingham, or Glasnow are ready to fill spots in the rotation.
The easiest thing to do in sports is hustle.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Travis Ishikawa and Jayson Nix are in the World Series. Funny stuff if you really think about it.