District Six Boys Basketball Power Rankings 2/5/2017

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
clueless
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: District Six Boys Basketball Power Rankings 2/5/2017

Post by clueless »

I realize the discussion is about .500 teams playing or not playing, but the one thing  that should be taken into consideration is the format change.  In past years, it was an open tournament.    There was no criteria set by the District for a school/team to qualify so many schools set their own standard (ie; a .500 record).  

By having a certain amount of qualifiers in each classification, the district has set the criteria.  Whether or not the district established the number of qualifiers too high or too low is another discussion, but if a school qualifies for one of the district's established spots why not play?  I guarantee there is more than one or two coaches out there with losing records who are looking at the standings the last week or so thinking we only need to win this game or that game and we can qualify.  

In regards to BC, I would bet they have set their standard of success at a minimum of winning a district championship.   You can't win it if you don't qualify or decide not to play.
Skippy
Senior
Senior

Post by Skippy »

theprophet wrote:Well I support BC and always will, but here is my problem in sports you can’t go by what if’s.  When the 64 tournament is picked we don’t say well if this team played in this conference they would make it so they should be in.  You play the schedule you have and you earn what you get.  We have 1 win over a team with a winning record and in the game of basketball that is not good enough because we all know on any given night anyone can beat anyone the CAVS just lost to the Pelicans!!!!!  I know someone is going to say well they beat Ferndale but we also got blown out by them too. Cosie has built a standard for our program and if we lower our standards to allow a team with 6 wins and let me remind you 4 of them came against CH, Northern Cambria, Bedford, and Saint Joseph to enter we lower our standard for future years.  This is just not what we our about in my opinion.  There is no seniors on this team, we need to take this one on the chin and realize we have to do better next year.
I hate to disagree with your analogy, but when the 64 is picked conference tourneys have already been played, which means several sub .500 teams just have played for the opportunity to get into the 64.  If you look at it like the districts are similar to conference tournaments for an opportunity to enter the state tournament it is similar to how NCAA is set up.  Also, teams do get in to the 64 with at large based on their conference....how may times has a 16-12 Big 10 team received a nod over a 23-5 big Sky team who happened to lose in their conference championship game?  Just a different perspective. 
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

theprophet wrote:Just my opinion if you don't have a winning record you shouldn't go to the playoffs.  It's like giving out participation trophys.
Exactly.  And if it's the school policy, then it's the school policy!!!!
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Westmont 53
Bishop McCort 50

Somerset 54
Johnstown 52

Richland 71
Bedford 39

Central Cambria 67
Bishop Carroll 60

Penn Cambria 61
Bishop Guilfoyle 53

Forest Hills 64
Cambria Heights 48
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by GoldenRamsFAN »

Can't believe the games were played tonight with the weather we're getting
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

GoldenRamsFAN wrote:Can't believe the games were played tonight with the weather we're getting
That weather won't hit the Johnstown area until midnight.  Leaving the gym it was only drizzling, but school is already cancelled tomorrow. 
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by GoldenRamsFAN »

I live 15 miles outside of Pittsburgh and we are getting hammered right now with snow, started about 8 and they are only calling for 1-3...we got all 3 already
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Huntingdon beat Central tonight. That combined with Jtowns loss should knock Jtown out of a top 2 seed and 1st round bye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

District Six Boys Basketball Power Rankings 2/5/2017

Post by DragonsDoExist »

In AAAA looks like Somerset will head to Johnstown and Forest Hills to Tyrone with Central & Huntingdon receiving byes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
dougkeklak
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dougkeklak »

GoldenRamsFAN wrote:I live 15 miles outside of Pittsburgh and we are getting hammered right now with snow, started about 8 and they are only calling for 1-3...we got all 3 already
For once they under-estimated for us!  Went to bed thinking we were getting 2" and there was at least 5" out there this morning.