Portage Girls Basketball

Hardwood chatter
stangin80
Junior
Junior

Re: Portage Girls Basketball

Post by stangin80 »

CMM52 wrote:So the plan is win more district titles bc of less competition, but know you’ll stand no chance after that?  That’s weird to me...
I’ll give you after districts, the Arch Bishops and Charters of the world should put it to Portage. But, there is no entitled district titles with this move..It’s still 5A..I’m sure the local teams at the class will be more than happy to get Portage in their gyms, instead of some AAU team from Pittsburgh or wherever...
CMM52
Junior
Junior

Post by CMM52 »

stangin80 wrote:
CMM52 wrote:So the plan is win more district titles bc of less competition, but know you’ll stand no chance after that?  That’s weird to me...
I’ll give you after districts, the Arch Bishops and Charters of the world should put it to Portage. But, there is no entitled district titles with this move..It’s still 5A..I’m sure the local teams at the class will be more than happy to get Portage in their gyms, instead of some AAU team from Pittsburgh or wherever...
Yea I’m sure, but that has to be the way the coaching staff is looking at it right?  I mean, they have to know they have no shot beyond a district title right?  Like I said, just weird to me.  Oh well, im sure they have thought it through...  
stangin80
Junior
Junior

Post by stangin80 »

CMM52 wrote:
stangin80 wrote:
Yea I’m sure, but that has to be the way the coaching staff is looking at it right?  I mean, they have to know they have no shot beyond a district title right?  Like I said, just weird to me.  Oh well, im sure they have thought it through...  
Agreed, Honestly, I’m not a big fan of the decision. Maybe another reason they’d do this is for stiffer competition (if they would happen to make it out of districts) to push the program forward.? 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Small Schools Girls Basketball in District 6 is among the best in the state, plenty of good reams in A and AA. Competition might not be stiffer there anyway.
stangin80
Junior
Junior

Post by stangin80 »

True. Quite obvious why they made the move within the district. Why they would decide to face a certain schlacking out of the district at the 5A class level..is beyond me.
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by upnorth »

The best team in the 5-A sub-region the last three years has been Obama Academy, but they graduated nearly everyone this past year including their star player that carried them the past three years.

Bellefonte may not make a lot of noise this year, but they are on the upswing and should peak during the two year cycle that the Lady Mustangs move up. They have two fantastic sophomores in Smith and Steiner and one very promising freshman in Tice. I wouldn't necessarily order any D6/8/9 5-A championship banners yet if I were Portage, but since the top two qualify for the state tournament, they should be a near lock to qualify considering the struggles of the other schools in the classification over the past 4-5 years.
Lionjacket
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Lionjacket »

If Portage does have some good players, this might be a way to get them scouted more. I would think scouts are more likely to go to a 5A playoff game, as compared to a 2A game
CMM52
Junior
Junior

Post by CMM52 »

Lionjacket wrote:If Portage does have some good players, this might be a way to get them scouted more. I would think scouts are more likely to go to a 5A playoff game, as compared to a 2A game
Nah, more talent lies at the lower classifications in basketball.  Also, most recruiting is done through AAU and off season show case tournaments and what not now in b-ball.  Portage just wants out of the 2A gauntlet 
no/excuses
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by no/excuses »

Altoona girls beat Bellwood by 26.  There is more talent at lower classifications? Smoke another one.
CMM52
Junior
Junior

Post by CMM52 »

no/excuses wrote:Altoona girls beat Bellwood by 26.  There is more talent at lower classifications? Smoke another one.
Or just keep living in your small town bubble...  collectively across the state, the bottom 4 classifications more talent.  Believe it or not there is a world beyond district 5 and 6...