1-29 thru 2-3 scores, etc., etc.

Hardwood chatter
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: 1-29 thru 2-3 scores, etc., etc.

Post by Manfred »

Rangers now 12-6, having dropped last 2 games to teams they PROBABLY should have beaten. One had 4 or 5 wins going in, the other 6. Hope the ship finds its way out of the maelstrom it's been in.
It ain't over until it's over.
pahoops
Freshman
Freshman

Post by pahoops »

Just a fan,

Appreciate your well thought out criticism of my 16 year old daughter. You're right, she is struggling from 3 this year. Historically, she's a pretty good 3pt shooter. She'll get that figured out. You're also right that she needs to be a little quicker. She's working on that as well. As far as her grades, both Stanford and Notre Dame have recently asked for and signed off on her transcripts. I'm pretty sure Muffet McGraw and Tara Vanderveer are decent evaluators when it comes to women's basketball. I could be wrong though...
She is also aware of grown adults that hide behind screen names and bash kids for no other reason but to just bash kids. Unfortunately, there's nothing she can do about that. That just comes with the territory. I'm just glad you're not a college coach who has to make decisions on who to offer and who to not offer. She'd be in trouble if that were the case! Haha! But I'll be sure that you are the first to know when her 20 yard shuttle time improves.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Justafanwholovessports wrote:
DragonsDoExist wrote:Bellwood's Alli Campbell hit the 1k point mark last night. Pretty impressive for a sophomore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I'm not sold on all the hype for the Campbell girl yet. I've watched some of their games and have reviewed the maxprep stats. A few games back she was shooting 2 1/2 times more than anyone else on the team. Bellwood has a capable scorer at all positions. I know that social media has changed the way things are communicated but it could too much self promotion this early in her career. I see a coach full court pressing on inferior teams, keeping her in games to get 8-10 garbage points a game. When I looked at the stats, I don't see a great three point percentage and if you take 8-10 she gets off of easy steals, not necessarily a great 2 percentage. I understand bellwood is limited in its schedule and I'm sure she has caught the eye of some of these aau summer tournaments but to me even some of them are watered-down.  That's like the juniata valley girls that she has played with, how many games over the past 5-6 do you think those girls have played together? Then you go play these travel teams that were put together at the end of the season and playing a team that has played 200-300 games together. I guess I'm trying to get other people thoughts on some of this. I have seen the Bellwood coach switch her off other teams best players because she isn't quick enough to guard them without getting into foul trouble. I just don't see the explosiveness or quickness of some other local players from the altoona, bg, or hollidaysburg teams that played at pitt, saint francis, and some of the local division one teams. There are some very good basketball players in the area, but also there are a lot of one trick ponies out there who only perform against inferior or over matched opponents. I say that not necessarily against the Campbell girl but as general statement of all the hype with the data that is now collected. Guess I'm just old school where you contest every shot, dive on the floor for every loose ball, stood in and took the charge, and made that one extra pass to get all your teammates engaged. Where you put TEAM goals above personal goals.
Haha, I don't agree with the assessment at all, sounds a little on the personal side.  I covered the D6 title game between Bellwood and 
McCort last season.  Both teams had seniors who were going to play Division One basketball.  Heck, Haley Thomas was the state player of the year in class AA.  And...It was so clear Alli Campbell was the best player on the floor....as a freshman. She was outstanding.  

Very good shooter, long and athletic.  Great court awareness, fearless.  You don't see freshmen playing like that on a stage like that.  She has everything you would want in a basketball player.  

There's a reason she's a five-star on ESPN.com and ranked among the top 20 players in her class.  There's a reason why the likes of South Carolina and Maryland have offered.  I don't know what you don't see, but Alli Campbell is a fantastic player.  
Hoopfan
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Hoopfan »

Maybe they record those 20 yard shuttle times at those junk AAU tourneys that she goes to!
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

I don't know anyone involved with this, but disparaging young people because of envy is a sad trait.  
commonsense
Freshman
Freshman

Post by commonsense »

Pahoops, Some well intentioned albeit unsolicited advice for you. Enjoy every minute with your girl. The world today can be an ugly place populated by mean spirited souls. Haters hate and the anonymity of message boards makes them feel they can say things with impunity they would likely never say to you in person. As her career progresses this will only get worse. People are envious and so many have lost the ability to truly appreciate a wonderful talent, rather surrendering to their dark sides. No other local player has had this degree of success so early. That's a fact. To be able to overlook the opinions of national powerhouse coaches and schools and make critical remarks on here shows this could happen to any player. You can't wrestle with the pigs and not get muddy. My advice to you is ignore these types of folks. Don't let anyone make you feel you have to defend your girl or it can become a full time job once they see they are getting a reaction. For myself I love it when local kids do well, no matter what school they go to. The next 2 years will pass so quickly. Enjoy every minute.
Safetyblitz
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Safetyblitz »

pahoops wrote:Just a fan,

Appreciate your well thought out criticism of my 16 year old daughter. You're right, she is struggling from 3 this year. Historically, she's a pretty good 3pt shooter. She'll get that figured out. You're also right that she needs to be a little quicker. She's working on that as well. As far as her grades, both Stanford and Notre Dame have recently asked for and signed off on her transcripts. I'm pretty sure Muffet McGraw and Tara Vanderveer are decent evaluators when it comes to women's basketball. I could be wrong though...
She is also aware of grown adults that hide behind screen names and bash kids for no other reason but to just bash kids. Unfortunately, there's nothing she can do about that. That just comes with the territory. I'm just glad you're not a college coach who has to make decisions on who to offer and who to not offer. She'd be in trouble if that were the case! Haha! But I'll be sure that you are the first to know when her 20 yard shuttle time improves.
My advice stay off this forum for the next two and a half years and enjoy a very good basketball player!!! Then when she makes it to a big time program you can have the last laugh on the haters and neigh sayers!! Enjoy it, it will go way to fast!!
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

commonsense wrote:Pahoops, Some well intentioned albeit unsolicited advice for you. Enjoy every minute with your girl. The world today can be an ugly place populated by mean spirited souls. Haters hate and the anonymity of message boards makes them feel they can say things with impunity they would likely never say to you in person. As her career progresses this will only get worse. People are envious and so many have lost the ability to truly appreciate a wonderful talent, rather surrendering to their dark sides. No other local player has had this degree of success so early. That's a fact. To be able to overlook the  opinions of national powerhouse coaches and schools and make critical remarks on here shows this could happen to any player. You can't wrestle with the pigs and not get muddy. My advice to you is ignore these types of folks. Don't let anyone make you feel you have to defend your girl or it can become a full time job once they see they are getting a reaction. For myself I love it when local kids do well, no matter what school they go to. The next 2 years will pass so quickly. Enjoy every minute.
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
lgb87cape
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by lgb87cape »

Manfred wrote:Rangers now 12-6, having dropped last 2 games to teams they PROBABLY should have beaten.  One had 4 or 5 wins going in, the other 6.  Hope the ship finds its way out of the maelstrom it's been in.
Oh really!!! CH has some decent players don't know much about them. PC on the other hand has way better athletes they proved it last night with a strong press and tenacious defense. PC showed up and wanted it more. Just like in baseball last year beat the District six 4 A champs twice.  And if it weren't for cut off dates PC won the LHAC Baseball conference outright . So mention to the person in Ranger land that handles the banners that the banner should read co- champs. Don't make it look like FH won it out right on a pre made champion banner where all you do is add a year to it without telling the whole story.  :))
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

All I have to say is hitting a 1000 points during your sophmore year.. Dang great for her!!!