Does highschool need a shot clock?

Hardwood chatter

Does highschool basketball need a shot clock?

Poll ended at March 12th, 2018, 12:15 pm

yes
56%
no
40%
stalling warning
4%

Total votes: 25

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Does highschool need a shot clock?

Post by knowitall »

Instead of a shot clock i’d Rather see the three point line be erased.
pahoops
Freshman
Freshman

Post by pahoops »

Yes. And I thought this before Bellwood played Blairsville. My question, what's the real benefit to NOT having a shot clock?
pahoops
Freshman
Freshman

Post by pahoops »

Don't get me wrong, Coach McGinnis is a great coach and his players are unbelievably disciplined. A shot clock would improve the flow of the game. IMO
LoneRanger
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by LoneRanger »

I think they should have a shot clock in high school. I have been to several games at Kiski Prep and they utilize a 30 second shot clock and it gives the game better flow. You can't sit on the ball for 50 seconds to 1 minute and slow it down. It also rewards the defense for playing hard and forcing a bad shot as the clock expires. Slowing the game down like some teams do, is like watching paint dry. Not fan of 35-32 final scores.
LoneRanger
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by LoneRanger »

knowitall wrote:Instead of a shot clock i’d Rather see the three point line be erased.
I don't agree with this at all.  The 3 point line forces teams to have to move out of the paint and open up the middle.  In addition it is the great equalizer.  If you don't have the size to compete against a 6'10 kid that 3 point shot is a great equalizer .
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

The 3-point shot is the safest thing in basketball, it's never going anywhere.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:The 3-point shot is the safest thing in basketball, it's never going anywhere.
Like LeBron said..."Chicks dig the long ball."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

The 3 point line should be moved back in all levels of play. Teams are shooting/making more 3s than 2 point buckets. That is a sign a change has to be made
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

I haven't seen any teams stall, but I've seen a few up-tempo games that were painful to watch. Kids out of control, forcing bad shots, and even worse passes. And constant fouling, called and not called. Its ugly basketball. Not a fan of watching teams chuck 3 after 3. Can't anyone shoot a mid-range jumper?
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

konjo78 wrote:The 3 point line should be moved back in all levels of play. Teams are shooting/making more 3s than 2 point buckets. That is a sign a change has to be made
The only problem is you already have small gyms such as conemaugh township where you have about 12" of space between out of bounds and the 3 point line. That, and most HS teams probably only shoot about 30-35% from beyond the arc compared to 35-40% for D1 schools. Then you have Steph Curry who probably is 70% from the half court line (exaggeration). If you move it back, you'd see an initial dip in percentages, but with practice I think it would go back to what it was.