Saltsburg forfeit

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Saltsburg forfeit

Post by Manfred »

The poster child for a district that should combine with one of their closer neighbors is Ferndale. Enough said.
It ain't over until it's over.
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

Is it an advantage for Ligonier to have more kids in our school? No doubt it definitely is.  However, it is my understanding that all of these kids are Ligonier kids.  It's not like the coaches are recruiting from other schools, or we are a school that can pull kids in from all over the area.  We also don't have  kids coming to Ligonier to play with their AAU friends, like what goes on in high school basketball at private and public schools.  

Furthermore, these kids have worked their tails off, and the coaching staff, like them or hate them, have created a winning culture that kids want to be a part of.  We are also going through a phase, where we are blessed with some special athletes.  As many others have said, we haven't been this good for that long.  It has taken time for us to get this good.  When our string of great athletes ends, we might not be this good anymore, but we will still be solid because of the winning culture that has been created.  

I'm not sure why the Heritage would want rid of Ligonier.  It's not like we have won that many championships in football, or any other sport for that matter.  In order for your conference to be successful you need to have good teams.  If Ligonier wasn't in the conference, Homer never would have been tested last year.  I really don't think Homer beats Guilfoyle if they didn't have that game against Ligonier in the regular season.  Homer playing Ligonier in the regular season helped prepare them to be able to beat Guilfoyle.  In the Ligonier-Homer game last year Homer was shell shocked.  They would have been shell shocked by Guilfoyle too, if they hadn't already played a Guilfoyle caliber team in the regular season.    
sasquatch260
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by sasquatch260 »

You can tell a lot about a person or team by the level of competition they want (or don't want) in their conference. I'm impressed with Heritage Conference President Jody Rainey's perspective and desire to make the conference stronger. He's from Homer Center, so he knows the value of having Ligonier in the conference like ChrisKentRam was saying.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

RamFan1,
I must have misunderstood Glenn Richards. He said that Ligonier’s boys lift and that Saltsburg’s kids don’t. He said that the Trojans don’t have the luxury. I made the assumption that they had no weight room.
Lionjacket
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Lionjacket »

Manfred wrote:The poster child for a district that should combine with one of their closer neighbors is Ferndale. Enough said.
The actually reality, which most people don’t know, is that Ferndale is more financially stable than either of its neighbors that it would combine with (Westmont and Johnstown). So if anything, they should combine with Ferndale. 
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

Johnstown should have 1 public school.  Having Westmont, Johnstown, Ferndale, CV, and Richland is really something.   Put all those schools together and you still don't have the Altoona enrollment.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Why stop in Johnstown. There’s no real need to have 13 public high schools in Cambria County. 
tmlaur
Freshman
Freshman

Post by tmlaur »

ChrisKentRam wrote:Is it an advantage for Ligonier to have more kids in our school? No doubt it definitely is.  However, it is my understanding that all of these kids are Ligonier kids.  It's not like the coaches are recruiting from other schools, or we are a school that can pull kids in from all over the area.  We also don't have  kids coming to Ligonier to play with their AAU friends, like what goes on in high school basketball at private and public schools.  

Furthermore, these kids have worked their tails off, and the coaching staff, like them or hate them, have created a winning culture that kids want to be a part of.  We are also going through a phase, where we are blessed with some special athletes.  As many others have said, we haven't been this good for that long.  It has taken time for us to get this good.  When our string of great athletes ends, we might not be this good anymore, but we will still be solid because of the winning culture that has been created.  

I'm not sure why the Heritage would want rid of Ligonier.  It's not like we have won that many championships in football, or any other sport for that matter.  In order for your conference to be successful you need to have good teams.  If Ligonier wasn't in the conference, Homer never would have been tested last year.  I really don't think Homer beats Guilfoyle if they didn't have that game against Ligonier in the regular season.  Homer playing Ligonier in the regular season helped prepare them to be able to beat Guilfoyle.  In the Ligonier-Homer game last year Homer was shell shocked.  They would have been shell shocked by Guilfoyle too, if they hadn't already played a Guilfoyle caliber team in the regular season.    
[font="Lucida Grande", "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"I don't think Homer beats Guilfoyle if they didn't have that game against Ligonier."   That's pretty laughable but if true, maybe Ligonier should follow the example and play schools at least their size or using that example play schools much larger.  By following that theory maybe they get to a state championship game, something they've never done.  Just shut up and play.  That's why HC gets the respect they deserve win or lose. They go about their business like many schools do and worry about their own.  You can't blame Glen Richards for looking out for his own student-athletes. [/font]
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

I wonder if Saltsburg will play their game against Penns Manor on Friday? According to Mark Bertig, of WCCS, Glenn Richards told him that the Trojans lost five players, due to injury, in their game last week. It is time for the BSSD school board to step up! They should require the Trojans to forfeit the remainder of their varsity games. If Glenn Richards, is truly concerned about the safety and welfare of his players, then he should agree with my assessment. It just isn’t fair to the remainder of the teams on Saltsburg’s schedule. Richards should at least give his team’s remaining opponents the courtesy of finding a team to replace Saltsburgh on their schedule.
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

tubmill wrote:I wonder if Saltsburg will play their game against Penns Manor on Friday? According to Mark Bertig, of WCCS, Glenn Richards told him that the Trojans lost five players, due to injury, in their game last week. It is time for the BSSD school board to step up! They should require the Trojans to forfeit the remainder of their varsity games. If Glenn Richards, is truly concerned about the safety and welfare of his players, then he should agree with my assessment. It just isn’t fair to the remainder of the teams on Saltsburg’s schedule. Richards should at least give his team’s remaining opponents the courtesy of finding a team to replace Saltsburgh on their schedule.
How would that work for playoff points? If a team were to find a replacement game? Do they still get points from the forfeit? Making the makeup game a gloried scrimmage. I was just wondering how that would work.