Albert Gallatin

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
natigers2005
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Albert Gallatin

Post by natigers2005 »

Albert Gallatin school board approves a plan to suspend its football participation in the WPIAL next season in favor of playing an independent schedule due to inability to compete vs 5A schools in the district.

This was tweeted this morning by @TheDonRebel of Trib Live HSSN.  I think we will be seeing this more and more.

They are 30-166 overall since 1997.  This includes being 25-124 in conference play.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Albert Gallatin

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Does it have much to do with classification or are they just bad at football? 
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

If they suspend play in WPIAL isn’t that District 7? If you suspend play in your district, wouldn’t you essentially knock yourself out of PIAA? Or at least any kind of playoff possibilities? Could they play in D-10 or 6? I don’t know where the school is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Perhaps they can apply to join District 8. Or maybe they can replace Saltsburg in the Heritage Conference.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Why are they locked into a schedule against such bigger schools? Why doesn't the WPIAL re-factor the schools' classification for this like they do every other year for a lot of other schools?
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Albert Gallatin is a 5A school. Mars is roughly the same size school also competing in 5A and they are 7-1.  Albert Gallatin played North Catholic which is a AA or AAA school to start the year and North Catholic beat them by 5 touchdowns.  AG just isn’t very good by the sounds of it. Doesn’t matter who or where they play.  

I think how the WPIAL does it’s scheduling is a bit antiquated anyway. They should allow more teams to play based on georgraphy than by class. I’m not saying having Single-A teams play 5A teams. But allow for more 5A and 6A teams to play each other to help balance schedules. 

The problem now is that the WPIAL schedules for the whole district save for one non-conference game. They just need to adapt to the six classes a little better and have smarter scheduling procedures to keep rivalries and competitive balance in check. 

They have one 6A conference. It doesn’t have to be that way.  Hempfield and Butler play each other because they are both 6A schools. They are an hour and a 10 minutes apart. Hempfield is 20 minutes away from Penn-Trafford, a more than capable 5A school but they don’t play each other.  To me that just seems dumb.  The WPIAL should maybe play the regular season intermingling the classes then they can separate them once playoffs start. 
Fballrules17
Junior
Junior

Post by Fballrules17 »

AG was 4A in 16/17,  they barely made the cut for 5A this cycle.  They did play a 3A team and a 4A team non-conference.  Lost to both.

They'll probably try to jump back in 2020, if they go back to 4A.  However the WPIAL won't be happy.  You'll have 9 WPIAL teams looking for games next year. 
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

My bad, like many others I thought they were a small school.
It ain't over until it's over.
dougkeklak
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dougkeklak »

Yeah, they were the former Tri-Valley, and if I recall correctly they are made up of a pretty large area of Fayette County near Uniontown. In the 90s we (JHS) played them and that was when we were a 4A squad under the old set up of four classes. They weren't very good in those days... we won 5 games total in my junior and senior years, 2 of which were against them.
Birda
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by Birda »

Outscored 414-32 so far this year. 326-7 if you take out non-conference games against 4A Laurel Highlands and 3A North Catholic.

But why is the WPIAL sending them two hours to a non-conference game at Armstrong or sending North Catholic an hour an a half there?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk