Didnt see that one coming....

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Didnt see that one coming....

Post by BigSkyCountry »

I think out of all of the results from this past opening weekend, the lopsidedness of the Central Cambria and Johnstown game surprised me the most. I know that Johnstown did not have an impressive overall season last year due to injuries and what not, but looking at the score, the Trojans were totally dismantled. I did not look at the stats to see if Johnstown had some drives and some miscues or if Central Cambria was just flat out dominant in this game. With some young buck Trojans gaining some valuable experience last season, I thought it would have paid its dividends. Granted, the season is young and your performance in the first game does not have to dictate your season. Just a surprise looking through my goggles. 
sportsfan1072
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Didnt see that one coming....

Post by sportsfan1072 »

Big sky, I was at the CC vs Johnstown game. Johnstown did have some miscues - 3 turn overs I believe (not including a snap over the punters head that CC recovered for a TD) - CC could have had a pick 6, the CC defender jumped the route but the ball went through his hands for an incompletion. But with that said, causing turnovers is part of the game so I have to give credit to CC for causing the fumbles and interception. CC also scored on a 75 yard punt return - again blown coverage by Johnstown or good blocking by CC?

Johnstown did have a few drives, but could not run the ball well. Johnstown did not score until about 6 minutes left in the game. Per max preps, Johnstown had 102 yards rushing with 70+ yards coming from one run late in the game.

CC seemed prepared and well disciplined. The CC QB threw the ball much less than I expected (4 times), but was, I believe, 4-4 with 2 td's and they used at least 4 different running backs in the first 3 quarters.

But with that being said, we have to remember that CC also scored 27 points in the second half of the game last year then went on to not win another game. Therefore, I have to give CC players and coaches credit for a very well played game and as much as I hope CC is turning the corner, am waiting to see what they do against other teams.

I will give both teams credit - both teams played hard, even though it was a lopsided score, no one was quitting on either side of the ball for either team. Hopefully Johnstown can work out their issues - it just may take some time with a new coach - even though the team I was rooting for won, I would much prefer to see more competitive games.
stownJohn
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Didnt see that one coming....

Post by stownJohn »

Johnstown’s current coaching staff won’t be able to save this sinking ship. There is talent on the roster but the folks leading them have no clue whatsoever.