Ligonier Valley

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Ligonier Valley

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Ligonier is really good and head and shoulders above everyone in the Heritage. So we need to restructure the rest of Districts 5 and 6 because of it? Wouldn't it just be easier to do something about Ligonier than changing everyone else's schedule?

Sure a Portage-Forest Hills game or a Richland-Windber game sounds good to fans. Does Windber actually want to play Richland?
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Ligonier is really good and head and shoulders above everyone in the Heritage. So we need to restructure the rest of Districts 5 and 6 because of it? Wouldn't it just be easier to do something about Ligonier than changing everyone else's schedule?

Sure a Portage-Forest Hills game or a Richland-Windber game sounds good to fans. Does Windber actually want to play Richland?
Dont restructure districts.  Please play within your district. By size preferably. But leave a game or two up to own districts to schedule.  I did not say restructure districts, I recommend leave out the conferences.

Go down the hallway, grab the athletes at Windber.  Ask them if they want a shot at Richland.  Hmmm.  May get pounded, may not.  Bet they would like to find out for 1 game.  The 9 other games could be "district" opponents.

I just don't like the current status quo and think better things can be done.  And I think it starts with conferences and athletic directors.
Thanks!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Ligonier is really good and head and shoulders above everyone in the Heritage. So we need to restructure the rest of Districts 5 and 6 because of it? Wouldn't it just be easier to do something about Ligonier than changing everyone else's schedule?

For me this isnt as much about Ligonier as its something Id like to see work that way in general. You get 5 core class games in a division and you get an extra 5 games to challenge your squad. These conferences almost all have 1 or 2 teams you can point to as the dominating school for years. Why not do something fresh and new? 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Most conferences include border school rivalries.  It's not 1975 anymore.  Richland-Windber would draw no more fans than Richland-Chestnut Ridge or Windber-Berlin does today. 
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Rivalries aren't what they used to be. With B-A and Tyrone we all work together in the factories and places around here. A lot of respect between the communities. Once that game is over I hope B-A wins the rest of there games. Now this Friday with Central there's more of an intensity to that game than B-A.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

knowitall wrote:Most conferences include border school rivalries.  It's not 1975 anymore.  Richland-Windber would draw no more fans than Richland-Chestnut Ridge or Windber-Berlin does today. 
Sorry knowitall, I strongly disagree.  Check crowd for Richland vs Chestnut Ridge, then compare to Chestnut Ridge vs Bedford.  Forest Hills vs Richland against Richland vs Somerset.
Thanks!
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Anyone seen  Coach Foust, funny he has not posted in this yet.
RZBZNZ
Freshman
Freshman

Post by RZBZNZ »

Good discussion, but I do believe it is a different time nowadays and that no matter the matchup you aren't going to get thousands in attendance at any local game. Too many technology related things for kids and parents to do and only people who go to the games are those with kids or just an overall interest in sports. Even AAABA tournament is lucky to get 3500 at a game anymore and that is with tons of free tickets floating around.
footballguy99
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by footballguy99 »

Maybe it is Ligonier's approach and how their program is viewed?
Bellwood really isnt much different than Ligonier.  For decades they have run the ICC.  People don't beat them.  They are usually the biggest school in the conference and they usually dominate whatever team they play.  Claysburg, Juniata Valley, Northern Bedford, Tussey Mtn, Williamsburg, Glendale, Moshannon Valley- These teams face Bellwood in most sports (outside of wrestling) and they can't compete.  This is true in football, basketball, track, and often times baseball.  Bellwood has made a living being the biggest and best sports school in the conference.  It has given them an identity and people have a positive association with Bellwood.
How is Ligonier different?  It seems like people despise them, but they don't despise Bellwood.  Perception?  How they handle things?  I don't know.

Bellwood and Ligonier could both be in a conference with Bellefonte, Tyrone, Central, Bald Eagle, Huntingdon, and Penns Valley.  They would find success there, but maybe the success would look different than it does today.  Chestnut Ridge was once a Bellwood/Ligonier.  Their school is growing and they found a home in the LHAC.  They are new to the conference, but it is a league that fits them well.  Would BA and LV see the same success they have today if they were to leave their conferences? No, but they'd still be rock solid and the perception of them would start to change.  They are good because of good coaching, years of tradition, and programs that are built the right way.  They are also good because they are bigger schools and even when they are weak, they are still stronger than a lot of the teams they play.
ICCFan
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by ICCFan »

I believe that Everett and Mount Union are bigger schools based on enrollment than Bellwood in the ICC