Outstanding Athletes of All-time by sport, by school

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Outstanding Athletes of All-time by sport, by school

Post by Head Roadie »

In an off-shoot of a thread on the LH Sports message board, I offer my choices for best athlete ever at three schools I'm most familiar with by sport. I've copied and pasted my choices below from the LH board.
This should be a very interesting and informative thread. Add your choices from schools you are familiar with and feel free to add your own list for the three that I offer...

EVERETT
Boys Basketball- Shawn Tewell '89 All-time scoring leader; 3rd team AP All-State; led Warriors to Sweet Sixteen in '89
Girls Basketball- Krista Jay '93 All-time scoring leader; Played at Geo. Mason and Professionally in Europe; now an ****'t Coach at Duquesne
Football- Jamie Eichelberger '95 AP Small School Player of the Year
Wrestling- Paul Clark '83 State Wrestling Champion
Baseball- Jamie Eichelberger Scholarship to PSU but finished at Shippensburg
Boys Track- Jeff Mills State Champ LJ, medalist in TJ and HJ...starred at Lock Haven
Girls Track- Wendy Clark State 3rd Place TJ and also 4 X 400 Relay. Held school records in 6 events at one time. Starred in TJ and sprints at Shippensburg were she was a D II National qualifier.

NORTHERN BEDFORD

Football- Fred Glasgow '74 HS All-American; At one time held the Pennsylvania Single game, single season, and career rushing records. HM to Joe (PSU) and AJ (WVU) Nastasi
B.Basketball- AJ Nastasi; State career scoring leader who went on to WVU on football scholarship
G. Basketball- TIE Robin Imler '80 (went to PS-Altoona) and Amy Clouse '88??
Wrestling- Jan Clark; HS All-American, 3 time state champion, current head coach at NB
Baseball- Toss up between pitchers Jason Drenning (WVU) and Dave McIlnay (California U. Pa) and Brandon Bowser, shortstop/outfielder now at James Madison
Boys Track- Mark Morningstar, current SR who placed 6th in HJ last year at state meet for only medal in school history NOTE: Brian Sell, NB grad is one of the top 10 road racers in the nation and has a legit shot at earning an Olympic berth when the Marathon trials go in Brimingham, AL in mid-Feb...He had no school records and although he went to states in the 1600 he blossomed in college at St. Francis.
Girls Track- Kristen Miller- State placewinner in sprints

TUSSEY MT.

Football- Craig Enyeart '72 WR who played at Penn St.
B.Basketball- Pat Snyder '93 Career scoring leader who played at Ship.
G. Basketball- Lindsey Baker Played at UPJ
Boys Track- Jerry Rasmussen - State Runnerup in 400 meter run
Baseball- Dave Runk (Pitcher) Played in minors for a while
Last edited by Head Roadie on December 18th, 2003, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Here are a few

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

From my Alma Mater:

Football

Bob Mardula-starred at Penn as a Defensive End in the 70's

Carmen Felus- QB and three sport standout, Attended Lock Haven and is Western Maryland College's all-time leading receiver in only 2 years there. Current O-Coordinator at IUP.

Justin Wheeler-Walk-on LB at PSU

Basketball

Ron Muffie-Played at IUP in the early 80's, 1000 point scorer

Carmen Felus-See above, one of best PG's in District 5/6 area in last 25 years.

Baseball

Jon Szynal-ACC and WVU grad, A-10 player of the year in 1988, had a cup of coffee in A ball with the Phillies in Spartanburg, SC

Ralph Rabish-Played at Juniata

Jim Ronan Jr.-Didn't play much in college, but good Altoona GCBL player

Matt Martynuska-see Ronan, Jr.

Ben Gibbons-Plyed at AlabamaU for 1 year, then at IUP, also a good GCBL player

Other

Kerrie Karabinos--PIAA AA record holder and state champ in Javelin, Olympic Trials participant and qualifier

Kelly Campagna--Top Javelin thrower for PSU a few years back

Mike Holsberger-One of top javelin throwers in PA

Marty Martynuska-All conference runner and 4:17 miler at D3 SusquehannaU

Best Athletes from Shaler Area, where I live:

Football:

Steve Scuillio--All-American at MarshallU, currently starting OG for playoff-bound Indy Colts

Bob Dzvonick--All-MAC DE at BuffaloU, signed with Cincy Bengals before being injured

Chris Seigel--Rifle armed QB, full ride to CincyU, never played much

Basketball

Danny Fortson--CincyU, NBA via 'Toona

Yuri Demetris--Current 7th man on Pitt's basketball team, 2,221 career points vs. difficult AAAA competition, Best outside shooter I have ever seen at hs level.

Matt Weisinger--Currently on full ride at D-2 Southern New Hampshire

Baseball

Jason Rakers--Played in The Show for 3 years with Cleve, KC, and Pitts

Art Howe--Current manager of NY Mets, long career in MLB

Other Sports

Wrestling---Shaler has way too many to mention, numerous PIAA champs, etc. Most current in mid-weight Troy Letters, NCAA D1 runner-up last year as a redshirt frosh in his weight class...Currently at LehighU

Track--Sam Bair, 2 time PIAA 1600m champ and record holder in AAA in 1600m, Ran 1:50 as a junior in 800m and 4:07 in 1600m as a hs junior. Prestigious Gatorade Track athlete of the year for PA in 2002. Injured his senior season. Currently on full ride at Kent StateU.

XC--See track, Sam was a 3 time all-stater
Sneakers
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Sneakers »

Northern Bedford- Girl's soccer- Britta Snowberger '04, 100 goals.
Softball- Kim Smith '87 I think, paved the way for the other NB pitchers to follow, of course Shawna Clark "03 is there too.

Tussey Mountain wrestling- Jeff Husick '84 state placewinner 3 or 4 times, coach in Northeast Pa. somewhere, showed 3 little brothers how to get it done!
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

Copied mine over too, with some corrections/additions.

BEDFORD

Boys Basketball - Ryan Wilt ('94?) is the best player I saw play. Helped Bedford to the sweet 16. Went to Lebanon Valley, but I'm not sure if he ever played. I never saw D. Mumma, but he went to PSU, so he must have been decent. After pawprints clarification, must go with Mumma. According to paw, played in Roundball Classic, 10th team All-American, and drafted by the Clippers.
Girls Basketball - Missy Raab(80's). I vaguely remember watching her. HM - Jessica Reitscha (sp?)(90's)
Football - On pure numbers I would go with Bill Benbow('93). 2500 yards of offense senior year. Ran, passed, and caught touchdowns in having a hand in all 6 touchdowns for Bedford against Westmont. Others that come to mind are Mike Cottle, Rick Cottle, both Mike Marshalls, and Dan Caro. Many others.
Wrestling - John Hamilton(60's). 2 time state champion I believe. If considering after high school career, then Glenn Burket, who I believed finished 5th in the NCAA tourney, and Irwin Brambley, an outstanding wrestler for UPJ.
Baseball - Keith Williams('90). Scholarship to Clemson. Played for many minor league teams and spent two weeks in the majors with the San Francisco Giants. Also a 1,000 yard rusher his senior year along with Greg Washington on the undefeated, #2 state ranked football team.
Boys Track - Bill Benbow. Gold medal his senior year in one of the sprints. Had several other medals, but I don't remember how many.
Girls Track - Jen Washington. Can't recall if she won any medals.

Thought about attempting Chestnut Ridge, but just can't think of enough kids. The ones that come to mind are:

Football - Ryan Emerick. Passed for over 2,000 yards his senior year. And Garrett Washington. Played college ball (James Madison??) and played for a while in Europe and the Arena League.
Girls Basketball - Shannon (her first name). Played in the late 80's. Can't remember her last name, but I do remember she was a good looking blonde.
Cheerleading - State coed champs, late 80's I think. But does this really count?
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

Anyone care to add best all-time coaches in each sport for their school?
Sneakers
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Sneakers »

Northern Bedford has recently honored several awesome coaches that have all retired in the last several years.
Wrestling- Rod Hoover
Football- Joe Nastasi
Basketball- Lew Ewart
Baseball- Ed King
An Assistant who gave his all, Bill Reed, Football.
To anyone I'm forgetting, I apologize.

Not saying they are all the best all-time in their sport (some are) but these men paved a golden path for the Jan Clarks, Dan Foors, Barry Crawfords and Kevin Gables to follow. And may I say all these current ones and others are following just fine.
voncap
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by voncap »

To add to Head Roadie's list:

not that I'm expert on Tussey(maybe sneakers can help) but what about Dave McDonald in baseball. I believe he made it to the big leagues at one point in time.

From NBC one of the best baseball hitters has to be Leon Pepple. That guy could just crush a ball.
The easiest thing to do in sports is hustle.
Sports999
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Sports999 »

Short list from CC:

Football: Ron Kostelnik(Green Bay Packers), Randy McKavish.

Basketball: Randy McKavish, Dave Fedorka, and I forget the other one's name but I remember him like it was yesterday.

Baseball: Vetok, Mike Holtz(MLB)

Best overall Athlete: Randy McKavish

There are more that I may add later but I am lazy right now.
4him
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 4him »

Best Coaches from Everett:

Girls Sports (volleyball, basketball, track)-Sue Conner
Numerous state playoff bids in both basketball and volleyball, along with several state medalists in track. Possibly the record for most district championships in the county.

Baseball-Bobby Foor (was kind of senile towards the end of his era but was good in his prime)
Numerous district titles and some really spectacular teams as well as players produced.

Wrestling-Pat Crawford
59-11-1 career coaching record, with an undefeated team in 80-81
numerous state medalists
The angel of the Lord appeared to him and said to him, "The Lord is with you oh valiant warrior." Judges 6:12
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

Sue Conner w/o question best bball and vball coach in girls county history let alone Everett but she was never a head track coach. Helped as an assistant on/off for most of her career but never was the head coach. Girls Coaches there were Lee Roberts (70's) Batzel (80's-late 90's), K.Koontz (about 2 yrs.), and Woy-Robertson