New Year's Thoughts

Hardwood chatter
knightfan
Freshman
Freshman

New Year's Thoughts

Post by knightfan »

what does everyone think about district 5 basketball right now, who have you been suprised by, who have you been let down by up to this point in the year, what players have been standing out, what teams do too?

just looking for your thoughts :?:
my cat's breath smells like cat food........
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

Biggest shock is that C.Ridge holds a two game lead in the Boys SHL race. Granted they must travel to SF and play both TM and Evt twice, their reign at the top could be short lived, but who would have thought they would hold a two game lead over heavy favorite Everett and bridesmaid S.Fulton at this point?

As for players, Dan Zimmerman has stepped up and become a guard right in the limelight with the big 3 (Harris, Barefoot, Miller) this year and with Clapper might form the best one-two punch in the county and SHL. Wes Garland, often overshadowed by Miller and Clingerman in Warriorland, has been very impressive. And Randy Meck might be an early season pick for Coach of the Year as he won in the terror dome and has a Forbes Road quintet that many thought would still be rebuilding and near the cellar, "in the hunt".

Mild surprises include S.Fulton's ability to replace graduates from 5-A title team without missing a beat and Barefoot getting some good help from a well rounded and balanced supporting cast at Ridge.

Major Disappointments...Claysburg 1 and whatever with nearly everyone back from a team that flirted with .500 last year, went nearly unbeaten in Elem. and JH...oh well, that's been there history.

Minor Disappointments....Bedford's sub .500 start is one I can think of although Everett losing 4 in a row is disappointing to them, and S.Fulton's "fold the tents" act with a 12 pt. lead late at the terror dome had to be disappointing to the Warfodsburg faithful. Both E and SF had to have figured to have a lead on the pack by this point instead of being in it and chasing the Ridge Lions from behind. NB has to be disappointed to only have 1 win at this point but they are young and can be encouraged by the fact that they have been extremely competitive.
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Good SUmmary

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

Niec D-5/SH League summary, HR.

Hey, my SA Titans delivered a massive beating AT North Allegheny Tuesday night, 61-45. We erased a 12 point first half defecit by going on a 42-12 run from 2:00 left in the half to 4:00 left in the game. It was exciting to see our team be injury free and play great basketball. The Titans are now 5-1 in section, 9-4 overall, and sit in the driver's seat in WPIAL AAAA section 3 after one half of section play. The second half of section play features most of the Titans difficult game at home, so if we take care of business at home and win a game or two away, we could win the section.

Shaler has a big non-conference game this Friday night at home vs. Connellsville and their D1 prospect James Hairston (plays like a poor man's Drew Schifino). Cville is something like 12-2 overall and ranked in the top 5 of WPIAL AAAA according to the Post-Gazette and Trib-Review rankings. BTW, Cville played us down there last year (we had 3 starters out due to injury) and ran up the score beating us by 30. Their coach re-inserted JH into the game vs. our reserves so he could get his highlight reel slam dunk, and then took him out for a "curtain call", a clear and classless attempt to embarass our team. WE definitely remember this and plan to do something about it. Should be an intense game Friday night.

Also, I am still working on those Pitt men's hoops tix. Keep next Sat. Jan 17th open. Pitt plays Rutgers at 12PN noon. I'll let you know for sure in the next few days.

W~T
Last edited by WPIAL~Titan on January 8th, 2004, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
byrd cage
Junior
Junior

Post by byrd cage »

Everett losing 4 games in a row is a shocker,,,I didnt think they would lost 4 games all year
ham55
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ham55 »

I PREDICTED THE COLLAPSE, AND LOW AND BEHOLD, HERE IT IS!!!!
foghorn
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by foghorn »

Don't hold your breath. AH won't let this streak go on much longer. In fact, it's probably good the Warriors get it out of their system now.
"Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much."
-- John Wayne
CalleighDuquense
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by CalleighDuquense »

Hetrick is too good of a coach to let this go on much longer. Everett has been in the last 3 games they lost, in fact they held a lead until a minute left tuesday night.

Look for Everett to finish strong and have a very nice record/ run in the playoffs.
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

I agree...a collapse will not be tolerated in Bloody Run. They will finish strong...should actually win out but might get upset 1 more time and should get to the District Finals. And as for the 4 game skid...better now than in February.
CalleighDuquense
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by CalleighDuquense »

Should have a good chance at Districts Head Roadie. Can they compete with a team like North Star thought. Shubik and North Star, very good team.