Playoffs are just around the corner...

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
lhacbigfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Playoffs are just around the corner...

Post by lhacbigfan »

Here is a nice article from Philip Cmor from the Altoona Mirror about the upcoming playoffs...

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/conte ... ml?nav=751
VAD1
Junior
Junior

Re: Playoffs are just around the corner...

Post by VAD1 »

Cmor screwed up at the end.
The Class A picture in District 5 is more clear cut. Windber and North Star are in the driver's seat, and the winner of their meeting on Oct. 21 will probably decide the top seed.

However, should Windber win that game and then lose to Conemaugh Township, Northern Bedford has a chance to end up first.
Windber already lost to CT, so I'm not sure what he's talking about.
rainmaker
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by rainmaker »

Windber beat CR and Township lost to CR. Those AA points mean with the same record Windber will be seeded higher.

The top 6 as I see it.
1. North Star 9-0
2. NBC 8-1
3. Windber 7-2
4. Township 7-2
5. Berlin 6-3
6. Meyersdale 5-4

If NBC loses a game (to anyone other than Mt. Union-AA, they'll be ahead of Township as well if NS beats Township).
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

After last nite things got clearer and fuzzier at the same time in AA. Richland,P-O,Tyrone,FH,LV,and PC all won and remain the top 6 and barring a big collapse look to make it in, which leaves, Ridge, Bedford,Central, Somerset, CH and MU all with a shot at the 2 remaining spots; Central and Bedford are my guesses to fill those spots.
The top 6 though is where it got way fuzzier. With P-O's huge upset of Clearfield, the winner of the Tyrone/P-O game will most likely get the top spot (provided that team wins out), however Tyrone plays BEA(2-4),p-o (5-1), Juniata (4-2), and Penns Valley (1-5)....doable but not a given. While P-O is @ Central, home vs Tyrone (5-1),@ H-don(1-5), and home vs Ligoneir Valley(5-1)...That won't be easy.
The Rangers could make a big push for a top 2 spot with 4 wins but they have a meat grinder remaining, @ Penn Cambria (5-1), home vs McCort (5-1), @ a scrappy Somerset (2-4), and home vs Johnstown (6-0). If it don't kill 'em it'll make 'em better.
While Richland plays Westmont(1-5), BG (0-5)BEFORE TONITE, home with Penn Cambria (5-1), and finish up with Central Cambria (0-6)...not alot of bonus points left on the table for the Rams. PC has Bedford,Westy, FH left. not sure about week 9 couldn't find it, but they should fall in the 3-6 range for seeds. and LV winds down with B-ville,United, PL and P-O (3/4 on the road) will more than likely fall into the 2 or 3 spot.

No real point, just that there are a plethora of BIG games the next 4 weeks that will decide some interesting road trips in the playoffs.
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
davesandstorm
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by davesandstorm »

The way I'm looking at it, the playoffs will end up with Tyrone, Penn Cambria, Philipsburg, Central, Forest Hills, Richland, Ligonier Valley, and the winner of Bedford/Chestnut Ridge at the end of the year. Both of those teams should probably head into that matchup at 5-4 with the winner getting in at 6-4.

Juniata will fall off the map with their remaining schedule. Mount Union could end up at 5-5, but we don't have enough points to get in over any other 5-5 teams. Somerset is scrappy and could get back into it, but I doubt they make it in if Ridge, Bedford, and themselves all end up at .500.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

FH is 5-1. Didn't look good against CC. The rest of the way is PC, BM, Johnstown, and Somerset. If they go 9-1, I'm ecstatic. 8-2, they earned it. 7-3, the most realistic finish, and 6-4, not a too far reach.
It ain't over until it's over.
sportsfan1000
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by sportsfan1000 »

Manfred wrote:FH is 5-1. Didn't look good against CC. The rest of the way is PC, BM, Johnstown, and Somerset. If they go 9-1, I'm ecstatic. 8-2, they earned it. 7-3, the most realistic finish, and 6-4, not a too far reach.
Wait just a minute. Didn't you say they would go 9-1 after the Johnstown srimmage?
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Maybe. I don't really recall. That was before a lot of unknown variables came to pass. Not that you really care.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Forest Hills is 5-1. They will beat Somerset, and I feel they should beat McCort too. That's 7. I think they win Friday, thats 8, and they'll lose to Johnstown. 8-2 finish.
sportsfan1000
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by sportsfan1000 »

Manfred wrote:Maybe. I don't really recall. That was before a lot of unknown variables came to pass. Not that you really care.
Well, that was my original point waaaayyyyy back then. Don't read too much into scrimmages. Plenty of things can/do unfold throughout the year. Not that you really care.