Moderator Team

Mark Appel

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Mark Appel

Post by Eaglealum »

I'm up in the air here. Two 1st round picks next year would be great with a more talented draftclass projected. Or a sign and trade with Appel would be good too. I'm not sold on the kid and really like none of the choices he's made since I started paying attention to him. Pouts about not being picked higher, blows off press conf., then goes out and gets shelled by FSU 18-1, and he has the worlds biggest snake for an agent. Either way, I'd use this guy to build with...either by trade or let him go back to school and take 2 top picks next year. And for Gods' sake use one of them for a shortstop or a corner guy with some power.
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I know its short-season low A Baseball, but how about Luis Heredia.

19 innings pitched, 2 earned runs, 14 strikeouts to just 3 walks. .095 ERA. Those are OUTSTANDING numbers for a 17 year old.

Appel is like Cole in the sense, they were not dominant college pitchers like Strasburg. They were really, really good though. Cole projected out higher than some pitchers with better college stats, and I think it will work out well for the Pirates. A general comparison for Gerrit Cole is Justin Verlander. He may not be that good, but has similar "stuff". Cole is going to be special.

Mark Appel is not as good as Cole. If he was, he would have been drafted higher. He still has a 95 mph fastball and could be a really good pitcher. I'd love to have him around, because I think he can move through the system quickly.

Question for everyone, Can Gerrit Cole help the Pirates THIS year? That notion is being thrown around. Teams will sometimes bring up their top pitching prospect and put him in the Bullpen, and it has paid off before. Cole will likely be here next year, so it is not far fetched to have him up this year.
S Cube
Administrator Team
Administrator Team

Post by S Cube »

This is a win/win for the Pirates. If we sign him, great. If we don't then next years draft should be very productive.

As for Cole, I feel he can help in the pen down the stretch. His innings can be monitored and he can come in and let it fly for an inning or two. Putting him in the pen makes Lincoln expendable for a bat.
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

By not getting Appel by yesterdays deadline, I honestly think it killed any chance we had of Huntington going after Justin Upton. Without the added depth they probably won't attempt to land him...Josh Willingham is even doubtful seeing how the Twins biggest need is mound help. Quinten is probably a best bet .
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Yeah agreed, definitely ahrder to part with Taillon without the insurance of Appel there.

Appel is a quick to the majors type guy like Cole, so he would not have spent much time in the majors.

Tough to lose. But not the Pirates fault in any way. It was a high risk high reward pick, just didn't work out. All 29 other teams in that same situation likely would take him at the 8 spot.
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

after last years' two "mini-moves" of Lee and Ludwick..I honestly think Huntington is gonna make a splash this year.. The bucs have had scouts watching Upton, Hamels, Garza, and Dempster...I know it's routine in alot of cases, but I got a feeling about this one. I'm pretty sure they are looking for somebody under contract past this year. Considering the Yankees are paying most of Burnetts salary to pitch for the Buccos, they may feel like it's "found money" they are shopping with. Wait and see I guess but I got a feeling we are all gonna have something to talk about in a couple weeks.
.... A. Einstein
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Also, the Pirates have some found money with Appel. That is close to 4 million not being used to sign the first round pick.

I think making a splash would be the way to go. Upton means the Bucs are players in the Central division for the next five years.

The Reds are set with Votto,Philips,Bruce,Cueto,and Chapman.
The Cardinals will pay to be good.
The Brewers have Braun to build a team around for years.
The Cubs have a long way to go, but Starlin Castro is legit.

I like the Bucs with McCutchen,Upton,JMac,Alvarez, and Gerrit Cole moving forward vs. the rest of the division over the next few years.

Make the splash for this year, and solidify some runs for the next 3-4 years.