Clairton vs Dunmore PIAA Class A final

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
animus
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Clairton vs Dunmore PIAA Class A final

Post by animus »

billmurray wrote:hats off to both teams. This game was not decided until the fourth quarter. Boyd was everything expected of him. The big surprise wasn't the speed, it was Clairtons line. They accepted the challenge and performed well above expectations. Congrats to Clairton.
Understandably the game was 14-0 through most of the 3rd and 4th Q. And one play could've flipped the momentum. But truthfully this game felt a lot more lopsided than the outcome actually was. I don't know what the T.O.P. was but that completely had to be in the Bears favor. Dunmore had something like 6 out of 8 drives resulting in a 3 and Out. I just never felt that Dunmore was a threat to point 6 points on the board esp in the 2nd Half.
justafan017
Freshman
Freshman

Post by justafan017 »

T.O.P. was in favor of Clairton by almost 31-17. They outgained them 400+ to just over 100. Technically bill it was only a two score game the entire second half but it wasn't that close...Dunmore had nothing going.
AnthonyK
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by AnthonyK »

If you go online and read the Scranton Times nobody in Scranton, on Dunmores team or the head coach himself thinks 430-115 total yards and 70 yds rushing was a contest. It was physical domination. Howard playing and/or Boyd playing offense 2nd half and it ending up 35-0 wouldnt have added to it.
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

The tale of the tape is strange indeed. I had the first quarter even but Clairton totally dominated the second and third quarters. At 14-0 in the fourth Dunmore missed a huge opportunity that could have changed the outcome when Kujawski just missed a wide open Mike Kolcharno heading into the endzone.

But as they say, "ifs" don't win games. I hated to see Boyd get hurt in the 4th, you want a kid to finish on the field. Clairton is a great program. Dunmore needs to work a little on speed and passing.
animus
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by animus »

billmurray,

This may come as a surprise to you, but I think the Dunmore Lines needs to do more work to improve on the footwork. The Lines was slooow. Stuff like this happened to Clairton over the years. You bully 90% of the teams you play in the regular season and never need to make those type of adjustments in the off season. Then you get punched in the mouth in the State Finals(Clairton had that happen too) then you realize to get over the top more work has to be done. If I was Dunmore I would go to the Pistol Set. With a Pistol you can still run the same power run plays but develop the passing game a little more.

Hell if was a HC at any Wing T type school like Wyomissing, SCA, and/or Wilmington I'd go to the Diamond Pistol. You can utilize the same concepts as the Wing T, and make it so much deadlier adding in power run with the deception.
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

that doesn't surprise me at all. Boland was flat on his face in the backfield several times.