Penn State vs. Ohio State Open Game Thread.

The name says it all!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Big one for both sides. Beaver Stadium under the Lights.

Ohio State has beaten nobody, and they have a bad 14 point loss at home to Va Tech on their hands. I'm not sold on them in the least bit.

Penn State is coming off two straight losses, and they have looked bad in each of those games. Can the offense do anything this week?

You have to think the PSU players have revenge on the mind the way OSU embarrassed them last season, and playing at home you have to feel confident. OSU isn't all that great, so maybe PSU can keep it close with the crowd behind them. Ohio ST has way more talent and so much more depth up and down the roster, they should win the game by a few touchdowns.

I'll say Buckeyes 27-13
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Penn State vs. Ohio State Open Game Thread.

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Actually surprised the spread is only 11.5. Don't see PSU keeping it that close. Gonna need the D to play flawless.
You play to win the game!!!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I just don't know what to make of Ohio State. They have been very underwhelming this year.
KirkHerbstreit
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by KirkHerbstreit »

Underwhelming in the Virginia Tech game, yes. Other than that they have been steamrolling teams. I will grant you Kent State, Iowa, Maryland, and Rutgers are not great teams, but the last 4 games OSU has scored 66, 50, 52, and 56 points against them winning by an average of 38 points. They struggled early due to having to replace Braxton Miller, their RB, and some new starters on D. This new QB seems to have come into his own.

Penn State will get steamrolled unless Barrett plays like a deer in headlights in a prime time game on the road. Even if he does, Penn State will not score enough points unless those points are generated on turnovers.

OSU has been recruiting on an elite level for a few years now. Their national talent is starting to become a factor.

PSU's defense will keep them in the game for a few series. OSU 34-10
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I really don't see any route to a Penn State win outside of the entire Ohio State team getting food poisoning the day of the game. Penn State will not score 10 points on OSU's 1st team defense. Heck they would be lucky to score a point. The book is out on how to beat Penn State.

I'm not sure why Penn State has failed to get the TEs more involved to help against the blitz. I swear NW and Michigan blitzed up the middle 70%+ of the time. Wouldn't crossing patterns, middle screens, and draw plays have some success?

I know Belton and Zwinak are seniors but the only success running Penn State has come with Lynch in the backfield. I think his vertical threat keeps defenses from being quite as aggressive. He has to have more opportunities.

The biggest challenge in this game is surviving it healthy. Penn State has a winnable game the following week at home especially of CJ Brown misses extended time for Maryland. I know Kirk has been preaching it since the sanctions were lifted but 6 wins is a tough goal for this team. Temple hasn't been playing as well of late, Illinois is bad, Maryland/Indiana are both hot and cold. Best case scenario is 7 wins worst is 4. I don't see a game left on the schedule that Penn State is clearly a better team. If they lose an Offensive Lineman or Linebacker against Ohio State, they are in deep doodoo.

Ohio State 44 Penn State 9
SFB14
Senior
Senior

Post by SFB14 »

I just don't see any way PSU can win this game either. The talent gap and depth between the 2 teams is so wide. I can see PSU's defense keeping them competitive in to the late 2nd or early 3rd quarter (21-7, 24-10 type of score) but OSU will wear them down, break a couple of big plays in the read option game and pull away in the 2nd half. I'm honestly worried about Hackenberg's health because OSU's biggest stength (D-Line) will obliterate PSU's biggest weakness (O-Line). Joey Bosa looks like the J.J. Watt, Jr. and would look really good wearing a Steeler uniform in the future. I just don't know what PSU can call on offense that would give them much confidence of a successful outcome. As Franklin continues to recruit higher level talent this has a chance to once again grow in to a competitive game each year, but not this one. Call it OSU 38-10.

P.S. How is the line on this game only OSU -13? Am I missing something? I thought it would be 19-20 minimum. I'd never bet against my alma mater but if I would I'd be all over the Buckeyes.
Stater32
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Stater32 »

Ohio State has been rolling as of late. Though their last four games were verse teams that didn't rank inside the top 100 in defense. If there was any game that Penn State MUST flex their #1 rush defense's muscles it will be Saturday. If Penn State can make Ohio State at least semi one dimensional. Allowing them to pin their ears back and get after J.T Barnett make him turn it over a couple times like VT did, Penn State has a chance. Penn State CAN NOT settle for field goals if they do somehow move the ball, and get into the red zone. Giving that Penn State is coming off of a bye and a 63-14 romping in last year's game. I do believe James Franklin has a couple new tricks and wrinkles up his sleeve. If front of a sellout "whiteout" crowd. Penn State gives Ohio State a test. OSU 31 - 24
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I do see some similarities between Penn State and VT. They both have good defenses and offenses that can't get out of their own way. VT has an offensive line that at least allows them to attempt to run the ball but a QB that couldn't start for Slippery Rock. Penn State doesn't have anything that resembles a line but a QB that can break the game open with one pass.

The problem is IMO, if Ohio State played VT this week I think they win that game 44-9, as well. I seen that line and shook my head. I wouldn't put my money on PSU -28. The only time I bet on PSU this year is when I took them -9.5 against NW. I'm no making that mistake again.
Stater32
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Stater32 »

Another thing to watch in this game, is if Sr. Guard Miles Dieffenbach can attempt to play some. An 80% MG would greatly help that reeling offensive line. He has started the last two seasons, and would make an huge impact in communication and leadership just alone. Could be big lift for the lions.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

He might help a little, but the line as a whole hasn't been very good. I'm think OSU is going to throw all kind of things at Hackenberg and the way he's handled pressure the past two weeks, that won't be a good sign.