A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Johnstown leaving the LHAC

Post by DragonsDoExist »

BoStillKnows wrote:
BoStillKnows wrote:
GoldenRamsFAN wrote:With them now being the only 4a team in the LHAC would it be a smart move for them to maybe get out of the conference and get into a bigger one? I can’t see how playing mostly 2a schools will benifit them in the long run. Somerset is going down to 3a and FH is down to 2a while McCort is eligible to play 1a
FH is dropping to 2A??? Starting in 2018???
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
BigIke1914
Freshman
Freshman

Post by BigIke1914 »

If wanting out of LHAC Maybe the regional big schools could ban together and form a “big” school division, Essentially area 4A’s and above.. Also getting a team to crossover district wise. Travel is major component but may offer larger school experience to help with playoff run. Quite honestly no super powerhouses to deal with most of the time. D6 schools like State College & Mifflin county are apparently happy where they are at. Again band together, most of these teams in some way , shape or form have “bounced” to and fro the WPIAL. If joining bigger leagues (Mid penn, WPIAL) apparently you are not afraid to play bigger schools/areas, why not create your own. 6 games you still allow 3 OOC. That can be traditional rivalries or games of your choice. But overall may create a better balance.

Indiana-Not much success in WPIAL for Football. Would see if WPIAL would at lease release them in Football…if not travel within reason from Indiana east to D6. Were there once before.
Hollidaysburg – “Larger” school in region, should be interested.
Altoona- Struggling right now, Although considerably larger it offers them an alternative to the big, big boys to the east and west. For a few cycles I am sure they would enjoy the closer games and probably a better shot at winning.
Somerset – D5 rep but 4A school
Bellfonte – A little out
Central Mountain – same as bellfonte
Johnstown
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I'm a big proponent of playing a tougher schedule makes you a better team. That is absolutely a real thing. But Johnstown going to the Mountain or forming some big school league isn't going to make that kind of difference. Altoona and State College aren't really interested in playing schools smaller than 6A, so they're out right off the bat. So what you are left with isn't anything significantly better than what they are playing now.
BlackRock
Freshman
Freshman

Post by BlackRock »

I agree with you that to some degree it would not make that big of a difference for JTown, but it should.

A lot of people would argue bigger schools boast more competition due to their level of resrouces (kids, money - facilities, etc.) Of course that is not always the case but you'd think by JTown sizing up they'd find fiercer competition.

Iron sharpens Iron.

Then again there is a lot of value to the practical approach (especially for us taxpayers...)

If you lined up Jeanette vs. TJ I think you'd see a much different outcome.
BigIke1914
Freshman
Freshman

Post by BigIke1914 »

thanks Guys, Great Answers! As strange as it sounds some of these "Mid Size" big boys , even if momentarily weaker than their smaller school counterpart, may improve a little quicker if they did band together. I truly think confidence goes up if you are playing schools closer to your size and competing you gain confidence instead of getting beat consistently by a smaller opponent. I do feel worse for Altoona, Even with the 4A they are solid 6A size. Right now it seems they are in a no win situation, Do they fare much better in Mid Penn than they did the WPIAL? For them the opposite may hold true. They may be better off playing the 3A and 4A teams for closer games until that program heals. The teams are a lot closer, you can build more rivals and more interest locally which will bring back interest. Possibly win more, or at least come close without traveling 200 miles round trip to do so.
psu99
Freshman
Freshman

Post by psu99 »

Yes, an independent schedule would have been ideal for Altoona.  It seems to have helped Hollidaysburg's program.  Unfortunately our school board says our size and location is a problem, that most schools in our region won't play us, and that most teams are committed to conference play the latter half of their seasons which makes scheduling a challenge.  They say the move to Mid-Penn will allow us to compete for a District 6 title and add a little more flexibility to the schedule, but that is it.  We have pretty much just moved from west to east with the competition that we will face.  One of the biggest challenges each year is trying to keep everyone healthy to get through the season.