College Hoops

The name says it all!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: College Hoops

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Sounds like UConn made it to over 3 million also.  If he prefers living in New England, not much you can do if the money is about the same.  We'll see who they go after next. 
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

It’s going to take money to get a top choice. I just don’t think this job is as coveted as many close to the program think that it is. A lot of things working against the next head coach including:

1) NYC and Philly pipeline is gone due to move to Big East. Now need to recruit Midwest kids to play in the ACC which means also competing directly against ND. 
2) The last guy got 2 years. They ran off (I know he technically resigned but the boot was coming) the coach prior after almost annual trips to the big dance for a decade. Not really the best track record.
3) The ACC isn’t exactly a conference where you can come in, get a stud or two, and expect to compete with the top half of the league. It took VT and BC years to slowly crawl their way to mid-pack in the conference.
4) This athletics department doesn’t have the best track record.
5) Louisville, Arizona, and potentially other higher profile jobs appear they may be open soon. 
6) This roster is absolutely destroyed. I think there are 5 that are returning and haven’t asked for the unconditional release. This may be a good thing too though because there wasn’t much ACC level talent on last year’s roster.
How much money does Pitt really have? The last I heard was Stallings lawyers turned down the $7.5 million buyout and Pitt was potentially on the hook for $9.4 million. Can they really go out and give yet another coach a huge contract with another big buyout? What if that guy doesn’t work out? 
Remember, 2018 is the last time Pitt gets that guaranteed revenue big home football game with Penn State (sorry, I had to). 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Since Hurley didn't take $3 million is the next guy on the list worth $3 million?  Nate Oats?  Earl Grant?  Eric Musselman?  Ryan Odom?  Bryce Drew?  John Becker?  Kevin Willard?  Porter Moser?  Bob Rukavina?  Etc?
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

The chicken should be forming inside the egg as we speak. But instead the egg was broken before the time was right. Haste makes waste, as they used to say. Fans know it all, right? Stallings should still be there. Patience is a virtue. Be careful what you wish for.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Stallings probably should have been given another year.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I do see your point Moldo (wow, did I just type that). I also see the fact Pitt went 0-19 against the ACC and lost by an average of 20 points.

That buyout, is a lot. Especially when you consider that they are going to need to shell out another $10-15 million for the contract of their new coach.

They CANNOT miss on this next hire. If they do, it could take them a decade to recover as a program in the ACC.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Boston College went 0-19 against the ACC in 2016. It went 2-17 in 2017 and 7-12 in 2018. It kept its coach.

Pitt went 0-19 and fired its. The new coach is starting from 0-19. Can he be 7-12 within two years? In the ACC?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Stallings returning for a third year wasn't an option. Pitt and Scott Barnes hiring him set them back years.  The new coach will be given more leeway given his starting point.  Stallings was hired under shady circumstances. It is what it is.  Vanderbilt wanted to fire him, he had a mutual friend with Scott Barnes, who happened to run a search firm.  It was garbage. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

It’s going to take money to get a top choice. I just don’t think this job is as coveted as many close to the program think that it is. A lot of things working against the next head coach including:

I think the job isn't as bad as some think also. Pitt was a one seed, three seed, and a one seed in a three year stretch not all that long ago, you can win here. SO it might not be a top 20 job/program, but it can be with the right coach, and it was for a good 15 year stretch.

1) NYC and Philly pipeline is gone due to move to Big East. Now need to recruit Midwest kids to play in the ACC which means also competing directly against ND.

Why would they have to recruit Midwestern kids? I'd say Michigan to NYC is still in play, as is DC. That's an overrated narrative. Also, NYC isn't quite as good as it used to be, kids play in prep schools in the South now. Kids play for coaches in college basketball not so much programs. It's different than football where geography can play a factor much, much more.

2) The last guy got 2 years. They ran off (I know he technically resigned but the boot was coming) the coach prior after almost annual trips to the big dance for a decade. Not really the best track record.

Money can erase things like that.

3) The ACC isn’t exactly a conference where you can come in, get a stud or two, and expect to compete with the top half of the league. It took VT and BC years to slowly crawl their way to mid-pack in the conference.

Again, money. and no pressure to win for 3 years.

4) This athletics department doesn’t have the best track record.

There's only like 12 athletic departments that have a good track record.

5) Louisville, Arizona, and potentially other higher profile jobs appear they may be open soon.

Chris Mack is going to Louisville, Pitt and Arizona likely aren't going after the same candidates.

6) This roster is absolutely destroyed. I think there are 5 that are returning and haven’t asked for the unconditional release. This may be a good thing too though because there wasn’t much ACC level talent on last year’s roster.

The roster would be bad with most of the guys still on it.

How much money does Pitt really have? The last I heard was Stallings lawyers turned down the $7.5 million buyout and Pitt was potentially on the hook for $9.4 million. Can they really go out and give yet another coach a huge contract with another big buyout? What if that guy doesn’t work out?

Boosters are paying the buyout, Pitt's ACC revenue share is pretty healthy. Pitt has money.

Remember, 2018 is the last time Pitt gets that guaranteed revenue big home football game with Penn State (sorry, I had to).

Always like to pad the schedule with easy home games.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Here are the things that make Pitt an attractive job...

1. Play in the best conference
2. School is willing to play a top 15 ish salaary
3. Recent track record of being a top 25 program
4. One of the best facilities in the country.
5. No pressure to win right off the bat.