NBA going full WWE

The name says it all!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: NBA going full WWE

Post by konjo78 »

I would agree travel teams for baseball has hurt the market. Younger viewership/interest is not there anymore and baseball is just getting older and older.

In reality every sport is just a niche following in the big scheme of things
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

An interesting study from a year ago shows that the NBA draws the youngest TV viewers amongst the four US majors.  The average age of NBA viewers is 42.  11% of viewers are under 18.  The average age of NHL viewers is 49.  The NFL is 50 and MLB is 57.  Only 7% of those viewing baseball games are under 18.

130-122 is an NBA score.  To match that action an NHL game would need to finish with a 42-39 score.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

konjo78 wrote:I would agree travel teams for baseball has hurt the market. Younger viewership/interest is not there anymore and baseball is just getting older and older.

In reality every sport is just a niche following in the big scheme of things
Baseball is also getting more Latin.  While travel teams have caused the price to play in the USA rise, it somehow isn't affecting those playing in poorer nations.  What happens when well off whitey has to report to Rookie League ball and ride the bus with few who speak his language?
hornets69
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by hornets69 »

1. the stars in hockey play about 20 minutes a game. 
2. the stars in football play 50% of the game (offense or defense) how many snaps a game? 50 or so?. 
3. The best baseball players bat about 4 times again and play the field for half the game.  may not even get a ball hit to them the entire game. A dominant pitcher only is on the field for half a game and usually can not hit a ball to save their life (exception:ohanti. lol). 
4.I think that alone summarizes why basketball is the most watched sport among young people.

the best basketball player is on the court for dang near the whole game.  literally puts the team on his back. non stop action back and forth. lots of scoring.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

knowitall, so why is soccer the most popular sport in the world?  The average MLS game is under 3 goals.  The average hockey goals per game is just over 6.  I think too much scoring in basketball can be detrimental.   I find it unique that the 2nd youngest viewership of the major professional sports is hockey.  I think both of these sports are better positioned than the NFL and MLB.  The NFL is dealing with some major issues like CTE.  MLB just refuses to adapt the game to something that fits today.  Also, I feel that NHL and NBA get a big advantage of being a winter sport.  For half the country, it is frankly too darn cold to do much of anything but sit around and watch TV. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

That's a good question. I personally don't know why anyone watches it. MLS has the youngest TV viewers in the US with an average age of 40 with 15% of them being under 18.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Soccer is another easily accessible sport. Locally, it seems to be cutting into football participation to a degree. So I can see why it would be popular.  Younger generation grew up playing AYSO which can lead to a building block of appreciating the sport down the line.

It’s never going to become a big deal in the US like some predicted in the past, mainly because MLS is effectively AA compared to European soccer. It’s just not that good in the grand scheme of things.  Still some cities have really adopted it anyway, which is cool. 
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I don’t watch any soccer but I think this goes to show why there is a variety of sports that are popular. Everyone seems to have their own opinion of what is most entertaining to them. It can even vary by league or level of competition. I watch hundreds of NHL games each year but less than a handful of college hockey games. I watch a handful of NBA games per year yet hundreds of college basketball games. I like to golf but really may watch a few rounds all year. I’ve never driven a stick shift but I watch almost every televised NASCAR sanctioned event. 

For my personal entertainment, my list would go as follows:

1) College Football - I watch multiple spring games. I have a problem. Attend all PSU home games and usually at least one on the road. 
2) NHL Hockey - I subscribe to NHL.tv and watch nearly every Penguins game, watch the other biggies like the winter classic and some Nationally televised games. Usually attended a few games each year.
3) NASCAR - Watch every Cup race (38 of them). Go to a few each year.
4) NFL. Watch all the Steelers games. May watch a Monday or Thursday if the game impacts the Steelers. I’ve go to a game every few years. 
5) College Basketball. Watch all of PSU’s games and the tournament. Usually go to a game or two. 
6) MLB. Watch the Pirates but rarely ever a full game.  Go to a few games a year but more as a social night out.
7) Golf. Watch Sunday of the masters and US open. Never been to a tournament.
8) NBA. Watch a game or two of the finals.

That’s about it for the sports that I would ever watch. 
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

My list of entertaining sports on TV (live is different)

1. NHL
2. College football
3. NFL
4. Golf
5. Soccer
6. College basketball
7. NBA
8. MLB
9. NASCAR
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2367 ... end-game-1

Another way the NBA handles itself just to try and put out the best product. A rule violation, as stupid as it is, that has gotten plenty of players suspended in the past gets ignored because its one of the star players for the Cavs.

The video on the link sums up my feeling on the issue