Tribune Democrat all area team

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
CoffinCorner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Tribune Democrat all area team

Post by CoffinCorner »

What a joke.

Sheredy from NC deserved player of the year over Prosser. Or at least defensive POY over Hite more tackles and more tackles for loss by double. McCracken missed at least a third of the season, but when healthy was the best player.
Not a Northern fan but kid should have been recognized as one of the top 3.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Re: Tribune Democrat all area team

Post by Coach »

Using tackles as a stat for these awards is no bueno. Some kids have 150+ tackles on a season with teammates also well over 100. That’s completely absurd. I don’t know if that’s the case here. I didn’t look, but we usually have a leader around 60-80 and then kids are out there with 160+.

1 tackle should be awarded per play.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Most stat programs only allow two tacklers per play. You either get a solo tackle, or two guys split the tackle. That's it. That's how it works in college football and some high schools around here use the same program, which cuts down on inflated tackle stats.

Wasn't it Northern Cambria 10-12 years ago where they had like the four leading tacklers in the area all with over 100 tackles?
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Thats no different than a DB being 'recognized' for leading the area with the most interceptions. If you are not that good a DB, and teams know this from studying the films, and throw his way a ton of the time, yes, he's going to get enough picks to lead everyone else.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

The interception thing seems a little more prevalent in college and pro. Been a few NFL cornerbacks to make a few extra bucks that way. If you're hauling down a bunch of picks in high school, I tend to think you're mostly making good plays.
LeeCorso
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by LeeCorso »

The problem is the data entry on Max Preps. I was always taught 1 for a solo and 0.5 for an assist. Two or more people in on a tackle and each person should get a 0.5. I’ve talked to coaches at clinics and other places that if 5 people gang tackle someone everyone gets 1 put in the assist category. Max Preps counts 1 in the assist category as a full tackle. That is why you see these ridiculous stats of 150 or more tackles.

With all that said even if the young man was entered for 150 tackles by a coach who was “padding” or truly didn’t understand the unwritten rules I am more than certain that he probably was in on 100 tackles which is impressive.

Also I know the Heritage conference is not known for its stiff competition he still had nearly 2,000 total yards and 29 touchdowns. I didn’t see him play but that is a hard stat line to ignore when handing out awards.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Getting through a full season is half the battle in football. I'm not crazy about rewarding someone based on what they would have done if they hadn't gotten hurt.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

Colonel Mustard wrote: December 27th, 2023, 7:29 am Getting through a full season is half the battle in football. I'm not crazy about rewarding someone based on what they would have done if they hadn't gotten hurt.
I'll disagree to a certain extent
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

Colonel Mustard wrote: December 27th, 2023, 7:29 am Getting through a full season is half the battle in football. I'm not crazy about rewarding someone based on what they would have done if they hadn't gotten hurt.
I'll disagree to a certain extent
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Care to elaborate since this is a discussion site? No offense to the kid, injuries happen and they suck. BUT, the kid from NC had 700 more yds rushing and more TDs. Not to mention missing 4 of his teams biggest games. It seems to be lifetime achievement awards moreso than 2023 season awards.