McCort wrestling/athletic program gets probation.

Shoot the half!!!
Insight
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Corruption at Shawshank

Postby Insight » November 9th, 2017, 6:54 pm

Crushersports wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:
Crushersports wrote:The wrestling program has been a problem? Please elaborate if you would...

It was just placed on a 2 year probation, that's pretty much the story. 

You said since it's Inception and do you know the details of the probation?
Also three of that programs athletes just signed letters of intent to D-I schools. The kids are class acts all of them and so is Shad Benton.

First, please don’t pretend that those kids were not D1 athletes already before McCort wrestling ever got their hands on them. I’ll go as far as to say there never would have been a program at McCort if these kids weren’t already as good as they are. McCort did not want the accolades of their exceptional athletes hanging on Westmonts wall so they started a team to solve that. 
Secondly and this was sort of brought up but what does this probation even mean?  It sounds like all that happened is one coach was suspended and a couple of articles were written. I’m just curious if anything else is actually going to happen or if this is the punishment. 

• Advertisement
DCor50
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: McCort wrestling/athletic program gets probation.

Postby DCor50 » November 9th, 2017, 9:29 pm

This is just D6 telling McCort to tighten it up a little. Be careful when you're recruiting kids to do it a little better. Don't be so blatant about it. They won't get any penalties or things like that. It's a joke. The Tribune-Democrat and WJAC only made public what everyone besides McCort people have been saying for years. They RECRUIT!

JTMcMahonLV
Freshman
Freshman

Postby JTMcMahonLV » November 9th, 2017, 10:15 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAH I feel soooo bad for them...just kidding!!!!!!

Vidvuds
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Vidvuds » November 9th, 2017, 10:38 pm

boxer156 wrote:
Manfred wrote:
Crushersports wrote:Big surprise, the upper crust folks at Westmont have been crying for two years since they lose McCort in their co-opinion and certain parents have had a vendetta against them since. You never saw these parents **** and whine when Westmont had kids from three schools and was kicking everyone's asses.

You're probably right, but I think it had something to do with a kid from Bedford/ Florida/ Chestnut Ridge.

Funny, because the article i just read on line in the Trib said that YOUR school filed the complaint.  All over some middle school kids getting talked to, lol.
Guess you will now have to troll some new high school kid, or maybe you can start picking Forest Hills for crying  about a 7th grader for trying to better himself by getting a different workout, and trying to get better.  Idiot.

There were 2 schools who presented evidence of Bishop McCort approaching/contacting athletes with the potential to be champions.  It wasn’t sour grapes over a school casually talking to a wrestler at a tournament.  BM coaches targeted PJW wrestlers.  The 7th grader you reference may well end up being a PIAA Champion.  BM coaches weren’t after him to try and get him a better workout or better partner, nor should they concern themselves with a wrestler who doesn’t attend their school.  They were looking to bring in another high-level athlete to improve their program’s success.  Neither this wrestler, or his family reached out to BM for information on how he could “better himself” academically or athletically.  They were targeted based solely on athletic ability and the potential to win a championship.  Regardless, BM is in place to provide a catholic education, not provide better wrestling workouts or partners for potential standout athletes.  They are now on probation because the evidence provided was factual and in violation of the PIAA’s rules and regulations regarding recruiting.  Maybe your personal story doesn’t include recruitment, but this one did.

El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby El-Moldo » November 9th, 2017, 10:46 pm

On Channel 8 tonight, Mr. Fleming described the problem with "because the wrestling program was brand new, some of the coache(s) were a little over-zealous and over-excited about the prospects of the program". So let's go out and get some talent somewhere, right! Has everyone forgotten about the BM track recruiting problem several years ago?

Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Aiks19 » November 9th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Please let's not use the broad brush because of McCort. I haven't done it with public schools after seeing Juniata Valley girls go to states this past year.

Crushersports
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Crushersports » November 10th, 2017, 12:06 am

Anthony Walters was a parochial kid his whole life. Not a Westmont kid. Josiah was a Westmont kid up to what Junior high and has been a McCort kids. Carnell a Johnstown kid but at mccort all of his high school career.
Westmont didn't make those kids. Their hardworking and the coaching of many different coaches from their youth on up through the clubs is what made them.
Carnell has totally turned his life around at McCort. I'm talking academically.

I have seen several people showing social media posts from Lord Beaujon's sister trying get to take credit for the probation when in reality it had nothing to do with her.

Id expect since every wrestler on the McCort team but one plays football that all of the smack talking from the Westmont kids today and their parents will get played out ten fold.

If a parent chooses to spend their money on a private school education that's their business. Forest Hills got pissed because kids were practicing at mccort under a mat club in the off season, so they started their own after complaining about it. Two of their youth wrestlers who are very good are from United, who cares. Those parents moved and felt it was the best situation for their kids.

We can all go back and forth all day long but unless you're naive or you just don't pay attention public schools are just as bad and way more blatant...period

Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby Aiks19 » November 10th, 2017, 7:20 am

So , in the end what does this probation mean? What truly is their punishment?

boxer156
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Postby boxer156 » November 10th, 2017, 7:53 am

Vidvuds wrote:
boxer156 wrote:
Manfred wrote:You're probably right, but I think it had something to do with a kid from Bedford/ Florida/ Chestnut Ridge.

Funny, because the article i just read on line in the Trib said that YOUR school filed the complaint.  All over some middle school kids getting talked to, lol.
Guess you will now have to troll some new high school kid, or maybe you can start picking Forest Hills for crying  about a 7th grader for trying to better himself by getting a different workout, and trying to get better.  Idiot.

There were 2 schools who presented evidence of Bishop McCort approaching/contacting athletes with the potential to be champions.  It wasn’t sour grapes over a school casually talking to a wrestler at a tournament.  BM coaches targeted PJW wrestlers.  The 7th grader you reference may well end up being a PIAA Champion.  BM coaches weren’t after him to try and get him a better workout or better partner, nor should they concern themselves with a wrestler who doesn’t attend their school.  They were looking to bring in another high-level athlete to improve their program’s success.  Neither this wrestler, or his family reached out to BM for information on how he could “better himself” academically or athletically.  They were targeted based solely on athletic ability and the potential to win a championship.  Regardless, BM is in place to provide a catholic education, not provide better wrestling workouts or partners for potential standout athletes.  They are now on probation because the evidence provided was factual and in violation of the PIAA’s rules and regulations regarding recruiting.  Maybe your personal story doesn’t include recruitment, but this one did

I appreciate your response....but we may be talking about a couple different kids.  I know a lot of these parents--and without giving names--I can say for a fact that various FH kids reached out to BM about going there.  Hell, there was a group of younger kids that voluntarily showed up at an open mat a few times.  To be even more honest, I don't know how much of an effort should be made to chase down any kid Jr. High kid---as too much can change with puberty.
Bottom line is when your kid is good, you always get the 'wish you would be at XXX school'--and this is from public schools.  But, until a kid proves himself in HS, it is all speculation.  This is why it is so laughable that this entire story is based from supposidly chasing JH kids. 

ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Postby ChrisKentRam » November 10th, 2017, 8:50 am

So it is okay to recruit a kid that is in junior high since they might not pan out anyway? I'm just trying to understand your perspective and what you are saying. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but that's what I am hearing. Is that what you mean? 

Return to “Wrestling”