Local sports coverage leaves a LOT to be desired

Feature Articles, General Announcements, Etc.
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

Local sports coverage leaves a LOT to be desired

Post by ERAChamp »

The local sports coverage in Johnstown is very poor. I will say that the TD does do a pretty good job, except they don't publish on Tuesday or Sunday. Good luck if there are local games on a Monday night or Saturday. The Mirror in Altoona does a good job on half the coverage area, but covers very little on this side of the mountain. One example, they covered the boys LHAC championship basketball game extensively, but had no mention of the girls game that was played at the same venue, immediately before the boys game!!

WJAC is a joke. They haven't had a sports anchor since around Christmas time. The very few sports reports they do are done by the news anchors, and usually on national events - Super Bowl, etc. Rarely ANY local sports events. WTAJ, does cover sports, but like the Mirror, focuses on that side of the mountain.

God forbid, there is no sports anchor for WJAC come football season and Friday Night Lights. I get that football is THE sport in Western PA, but it is a shame that the other sports get so little local coverage. There are several hoops teams, both boys and girls, still alive in the state playoffs, wrestling championships in Hershey and baseball season is right around the corner. Two former local baseball players are enjoying success at WF and LSU, respectively but there is little to no coverage of them. It's crazy that Twitter is one of the few sources that you can at least get up to date scores on local events!!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Local sports coverage leaves a LOT to be desired

Post by Manfred »

Gee, someone who echo's my thoughts on the local waste of airtime and newsprint. Whodathunkit? I've been saying the same thing for at least a couple years now. I got your back.
It ain't over until it's over.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Bring back the days of Sports Page with Bill Wilson on channel 6. Had a sports show every weekday at 6PM before the weather and news. He had it all, just like Bogey and Bacall. Local scores, interviews, ..... Ate supper, then went out to play. Didn't come back till after dark. Unless we slept out on someone porch while listening to the Pirates on someone's transistor radio. Then watched Bill Wilson in someone living room at 11 o'clock.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Hey, what can you say about WJAC? Longtime RETIRED Ch. 6 newscaster Marty Radovanic is now working @ WTAJ. Guess Tim Rigby will be next.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Did Bill Wilson cover Shade-Ferndale basketball games?
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Bill Wilson was a freak. He covered everything! R.I.P. Bill
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Back then it was Shade-Central City vs Ferndale-Dale.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

ERAChamp wrote: March 13th, 2023, 10:55 am The local sports coverage in Johnstown is very poor. I will say that the TD does do a pretty good job, except they don't publish on Tuesday or Sunday. Good luck if there are local games on a Monday night or Saturday. The Mirror in Altoona does a good job on half the coverage area, but covers very little on this side of the mountain. One example, they covered the boys LHAC championship basketball game extensively, but had no mention of the girls game that was played at the same venue, immediately before the boys game!!

WJAC is a joke. They haven't had a sports anchor since around Christmas time. The very few sports reports they do are done by the news anchors, and usually on national events - Super Bowl, etc. Rarely ANY local sports events. WTAJ, does cover sports, but like the Mirror, focuses on that side of the mountain.

God forbid, there is no sports anchor for WJAC come football season and Friday Night Lights. I get that football is THE sport in Western PA, but it is a shame that the other sports get so little local coverage. There are several hoops teams, both boys and girls, still alive in the state playoffs, wrestling championships in Hershey and baseball season is right around the corner. Two former local baseball players are enjoying success at WF and LSU, respectively but there is little to no coverage of them. It's crazy that Twitter is one of the few sources that you can at least get up to date scores on local events!!
wow i had no idea it was that bad at wjac agree with the rest of what you said
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

Manfred wrote: March 13th, 2023, 11:19 am Gee, someone who echo's my thoughts on the local waste of airtime and newsprint. Whodathunkit? I've been saying the same thing for at least a couple years now. I got your back.
im of the same wavelength
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Wrasslerfan wrote: March 16th, 2023, 12:54 am
Manfred wrote: March 13th, 2023, 11:19 am Gee, someone who echo's my thoughts on the local waste of airtime and newsprint. Whodathunkit? I've been saying the same thing for at least a couple years now. I got your back.
im of the same wavelength
Plenty of room in the wagon. Sadly.