Konjo's top 5 movies of 2019 so far

General Chit-Chat, Movies/TV, No Sports Discussion. Be that guy with his crew at the coffee shop at 6 am...
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Konjo's top 5 movies of 2019 so far

Post by konjo78 »

We are half way through the year and movies have had their ups and downs so far. The main story line if you go by box office success alone is Disney just winning the world and everyone else trying to grasp for any type of success. Disney themselves have the top 4 spots of the year Domestically so far and their only competition may be its sister project of Spiderman: Far From home. Though whether its blockbusters that deliver or smaller movies/stories here are my top 5 movies of the year so far.

1. Avengers End Game: Maybe I'm just way too into the hype and enjoy superhero movies too much but when I look back at what the MCU and End Game accomplishes its hard not to marvel, pun intended ;), at what we have here. The story throughout the movie was deep in so many ways. Whether its connecting to characters dealing with pain/emotion of losing the ones they love or those sacrificing themselves to save those same people it really tells a beautiful story. This isn't without mentioning the seamless writing that allowed anyone who has followed this 22 movie journey to be paid off. This was truly an experience that comes around once in a lifetime and fully deserves this spot in my eyes. 

2. Booksmart: To the biggest blockbuster of the year to one of the best smaller films to hit theaters this year. Booksmart was a pleasant surprise of a film that shows how two girls who spent all their high school careers focusing on school might be missing out on its fun. In a Superbad style movie we go on a night adventure with these two best friends as they let themselves loose and I loved it. 

3. Toy Story 4: Are the first three Toy Story movies the best trilogy ever? Quite possibly. Was I worried Disney/Pixar were just making number four so they could make a lot of money of nostalgia? Yes! Did they prove me wrong in putting together another masterpiece making this the best franchise ever with four or more movies in terms of quality? 100% Woody's journey in this movie is something I think we all find ourselves in from time to time. How it was handled and the message sent was nothing but top tier quality in cinema. 

4. Rocketman: The jukebox musical of Elton John's early years was a full roller coaster. From the exciting points of his music/talents to the downward spiral into drugs/depression this movie left in impact on me. The center of everything was a performance deserving of an Oscar nomination later this year with Taron Edgerton and his portrayal Elton John. I personally enjoyed this movie more than Bohemian Rhapsody last year but the advertising and buzz around the movie just wasn't the same as Queen.

5. John Wick Chapter 3: Or better known as the movie that was so good it stopped End Game's momentum from chasing down Avatar. John Wick has been a series that gets more eyes each passing movie and continues to grow and get better. I myself have never seen the first or second movie until I saw so much positive around this chapter. Finally after watching all three movies this trilogy has become one of my favorite R rated action movie series of the past decade. Keannu Reeves is having his best summer since becoming the Chosen one and the John Wick is a series you shouldn't be sleeping on. 

Below I am going to make a couple categories of movies that didn't make the cut. 

Good but nothing super special: Aladdin, Captain Marvel, US, Shazam, Fighting With My Family

Bad but not horrible: Men in Black International, Godzilla King of the Monsters, Detective Pikachu, Glass, Lego Movie 2

Disasters: Dark Phoenix, Replicas, The Hustle, Hellboy, Ugly Dolls
BlueYonder
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: Konjo's top 5 movies of 2019 so far

Post by BlueYonder »

Oscars next week.

The second half of 2019 has all of the Oscar contenders this year and may have made 2019 one of the best years for film in a long time (IMO).

The following is my (top 5) ranking for the year's best films and were all released in the second half (all of these are very good):

1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Nominated for Best Picture.
2. 1917. Nominated for Best Picture.
3. The Peanut Butter Falcon.
4. Parasite. Nominated for Best Picture.
5. JoJo Rabbit. Nominated for Best Picture.

My predictions for the Oscars (who I think will win - not who I would vote for) are as follows:

Picture: 1917 (don't be surprised if Parasite wins)
Director: Sam Mendes - 1917 (again Parasite director Bong Joon Ho)
Actor: Joaquin Phoenix - Joker
Actress: Renee Zellweger - Judy
Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt - Once Upon a time
Supporting Actress: Laura Dern - Marriage Story
Adapted Screenplay: JoJo Rabbit
Original Screenplay: Tarantino - Once Upon a TIme in Hollywood
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Konjo's top 5 movies of 2019 so far

Post by konjo78 »

Here are my Oscar predictions as well as who i should of gave the winner too.

1. Lead actor, Will win: Joaquin Phoenix (joker), Who should: Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)

2. Supporting Actor, Will win: Brad Pitt(Once upon a time in hollywood), Who should: Anthony Hopkins (The 2 Popes

3. Lead Actress, Will win: Renee Zellweger (Judy), Who should: Scarlett Johansson (marriage story)

4. Supporting Actresss, Will win: Laura dern (marriage story), Who should: Laura Dern (marriage story)

5. Animated Film: Will win: Missing link, Who should: Klaus

6. Cinematography: Will win: 1917, who should: 1917

7. Costume Design: WIll win: Jojo Rabbit, who should: Jo jo rabbit

8. Directing: Will win: Sam Mendes (1917), Who should: Sam mendes (1917)

9. Documentary: Will win: The Edge of Democracy, Who should: American Factory

10. Documentary Short: Will win: Life overtakes me, Who should: Life overtakes me

11. Film Editing: Will win: Tom Eagles (joker), Who should: Yang Jinmo (Parasite)

12. International Feature film: Will win: Parasite, Who should: Parasite

13. Make Up, Will win: Nicki Ledermann and Kay Georgiou (Joker), Who should: Nicki Ledermann and Kay Georgiou (Joker)

14. Original Score: Will win: Hildur Guonadottir (Joker), Who should: Hildur Guonadottir (Joker)

15. Production Design: Will win: Jojo Rabbit, Who should: 1917

16. Animated short: Will Win: sister, Who should: Sister

17. Sound Editing: Will win: 1917, Who should: Ford V Ferrari

18. Sound Mixing: Will win: Ford V Ferrari, Who should: Ford v Ferrari

19. Visual Effects: Will win: The Lion King, Who Should: The lion king

20. Adapted screenplay: Will win: Taika Waititi ( jojo rabbit), Who should: Taika Waititi ( jojo Rabbit)

21. Original Screenplay: Will win: Noah Boaumbach (Marriage Story), Who should: Rian Johnson (knives out)

22. Best Picture: Will win: 1917, Who Should: 1917

Lets see how I do. 1917 was my favorite movie in a while.