McCort '09 Recruiting Class

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
I wear stripes
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: McCort '09 Recruiting Class

Post by I wear stripes »

Oh yea Portage Alum Altoona Area High School is at an amazing 58% I say that's under achieving my friend
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

You're funny.
once a runner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by once a runner »

Basing the success of a school based on percentage of graduates or percent of those going on to higher education are just small pieces on how a school should be judged. Not all students can or should go to college. Suppose a person goes to vo-tech for welding and gets a good job right out of high school. Are they to be judged inferior to the person who graduates from a college as a poetry major and now works managing a fast food restaurant? Is a school considered inferior if they send graduates on to the military?

A private school should have a very high graduation rate. They don't have to take on students with behavior problems, students with academic problems or special education students. When you can pick and choose your students and the majority of your students are from above average income households your academic standards better be high.
vman
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by vman »

why, when I read these threads am I reminded of the Motley Crue tune - Girls, Girls, Girls :!:
I have to say thank you to me ..." for not being stupid enough to go to Penn State."
Dfense wins games
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Dfense wins games »

Man, I thought we still had a few weeks of summer vaca left??? After reading this topic, I feel like I'm back in the classroom!

The fact this topic turned into an argument over how well these schools perform in the classroom shows how much you are not looking forward to playing BM this year (sigh of relief over in Sidman).

Please, argue over who has a better Science Club or trivia pursuit team under the subject "My life is miserable!"

I've heard very little about Richland this season. They lost some good players at WR, any insights on who is ready to step up?
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

I would like the McCort or Carroll folks to give me examples of students that transferred for the good education and did not participate in athletics. I know that all of the kids from the Ligonier Valley School District (Ligonier and Laurel Valley) went there for two reasons. They were devout Catholics or they thought their children were better atheles than they really were.
wickedcrossover
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by wickedcrossover »

Everybody on this thread should just google NCES. From there you can make up your own minds why some kids go to private schools.

Legion or portage alum posted about catholic credits to catholic colleges. Yes, that's true. What a great opportunity. Don't you think it's worth taking advantage of?

Not everything in life is fair. However, there are ways for most to find out what is available and to use those opportunities to better their position in life, school, athletics.

Does a private school provide a better education? I don't know. Over some publics maybe, over others maybe not. But I do know, having gone through the recruiting process, that there is at the very least a "perceived" belief by officials at higher education institutres that private schools offer a better education and also a more disciplined student. Those two perceptions along with being a solid athlete gives an advantage. The perception and quite possibly the past experience lessens the risk to a university Fair? Probably not. Worth taking advantage of for the student? I would think so.
underdog1
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by underdog1 »

I love how people on here act like private schools are the only schools that get transfer students. And act like public schools never get transfer students.
Prince Sidewinder
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Prince Sidewinder »

Underdog1 - I believe public schools get transfers too but it always seems like the private schools get impact players. I think that is what causes the stir. History proves that.
Dfense wins games
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Dfense wins games »

I seem to remember 2 accounts where students were asked to leave BM and weeks later started for the Trojans against BM. One as a lineman the other returned a punt for a td. I guess a few kids that left BM to Richland a couple years ago weren't impact players, one just led them in tackles his senior season. And if you really want to open up the can of worms on WH's success in basketball I'm sure everyone can name the starters and where they went to 8 years before high school.

History def. does prove something....