THERE ARE NO BAD COACHES

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

THERE ARE NO BAD COACHES

Post by say_oww »

This post could be applied to a couple of threads on here. ON BAD TEAMS THE COACHES DON'T SUCK. THEY MIGHT BE JERKS, BUT THEY DON'T SUCK. The players just aren't very good. The parents who try to blame everything on the coaches and not the kids are the ones who suck. Its the same at every school that has a lousy team. Ever try teaching something to a kid who is either too slow, too small, uncoordinated, or just plain stupid? (times 30) Then you haven't tried coaching.

EVERY PARENT WHO YELLS AT THE COACH SHOULD BE YELLING AT THE KIDS TO WORK HARDER IN PRACTICE AND IN THE WEIGHT ROOM. SAME GOES FOR THOSE WHO **** THAT THEIR KIDS AREN'T PLAYING. Why isn't he playing? Because he isn't any good. Don't get mad at the coach who tries to run instead of trying to pass on third down. He is just trying to make the best decision he can... 'get stuffed with my small and slow offensive line, or get my quarterback killed with my small and slow offensive line. or try to pass with the kid who can't see over the line and throw the ball ten yards.'

Put McCorts coaches at Ferndale or Westmont and they don't win any games either. Put Westmont's and Ferndale's coaches at McCort and they will still kick your ****. When a team graduates a bunch of kids you say they will be a down year because the good kids left. It has nothing to do with the Coach.

One final note - parents quit giving coaches advice. Instead, try asking them for some advice. Not only do they know more about football, they also know more about kids. You raise 2, maybe 3 kids. And you are an expert???? BFD. Coaches raise 20-50 kids a year on the football field. You are with them ten minutes a day, then they go to their room and play with their phones. Coaches are with them four hours a day and even longer. They know which kids are the brats, which kids listen, which kids are loyal, and which kids don't give a crap about the team. And they manage to get them on the field and play a game together without getting in fist fights when things go bad.

AND GUESS WHAT, I DON'T EVEN COACH.
D6Guru

Re: THERE ARE NO BAD COACHES

Post by D6Guru »

I agree, the parents are the biggest problems. But, there are definately good coaches and bad coaches out there. Ask Shade about the difference in coaches, they had more talented players last year.
Last edited by D6Guru on October 20th, 2009, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knightrider
Junior
Junior

Post by knightrider »

Nice post, I agree with most of it. The switching of coaches would work to an extent, but there are some coaches which go above and beyond with the athletes in the off-season, during the year, etc. While others just kind of go through the motions. I agree if the barrel is empty, this isnt much coaches or a great coaching staff can do. And on the other hand, if you get handed great athletes you can easily do alot more. However, I love the old saying "Hard work beats talent, if talents doesnt work hard"

Hypothetically, it would be interesting to see the BM boys coaching a public school and with limitations. Would they be anywhere near, where they are now.................??????????

Would Bailey have been so successful at Ferndale or COnemaugh Valley?????
budman22
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by budman22 »

Speaking of coaches, can we get username6 to repost the joke about Don and Brandon Bailey?....or was that banned from the site?
Crimson09Crazy

Post by Crimson09Crazy »

the fun police removed that one
budman22
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by budman22 »

dang that was hilarious. I'd like to get a copy of that
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

The 1st post is predominantly true. Although not totally. There are cases with guys and staffs that no matter how shallow the talent pool, with discipline and a team mindset, will still win a handful of games. And there are staffs that no matter how much talent they have, can't get out of their own way. But in our area, those cases are few and far between. And in most cases, the staff can't be held solely responsible. I'll give 2 examples.....now I'm not calling anyone out, just pointing out the obvious. Look at Bellefonte and Bald Eagle Area. They've got talent year after year, win consistantly in other sports with the same kids, and can't seem to put it together in football. Alot of times, a communties mindset or priorities of an administration can undermine any coach. I'm gonna let that stop there, because the biggest problem in every school and team, is parents and attitude of the kids. It's everywhere, and effects everyone, Tyrone has lost some potentially real good kids over the years, because of that crap. It's all in how you manage it.
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
Dfense wins games
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Dfense wins games »

If "THERE ARE NO BAD COACHES", can there be good coaches?

If "it has nothing to do with the coach" in the first place, teams would be just as successful running themselves!

No matter how you slice it, morals, on field success, off field success, etc, some coaches make the grade while others fail. Bottom line, coaching staffs should have a few years to prove if they are successful or not and parents complaining in the stands IS high school football, at least they care enough to be there :!:
pittisit4113
Freshman
Freshman

Post by pittisit4113 »

There are bad coaches and good coaches, but their role is much smaller than that of the players, parents, administration... I can put Ernie Fetzer back at Westmont and they'll go from a 3-win team to a 4-win team... Bring in Ken Salem and 5 wins, max. The admin there, or anywhere with consistently bad teams, will run the coach out of town as soon as the wrong kid doesn't play enough because they're a son of board member x or staff member y or if they don't go from 3 to 7 wins in one year, despite how amazingly hard that kind of turn around is.

The schools with consistently bad results, esp in football, have two characteristics...

1. High coaching turnover.
2. School boards/admins who micro-manage while knowing very little about football.

These two factors then lead to a lack of excitement about the varsity program which trickles down to the jh program and causes kids to quit in 8th and 9th grade because they don't expect to win at the varsity level.

While there are exceptions, like what Richland has pulled off in recent years, it can be very very hard to go from doormat to dominant (for more than a one-year flash) without the combination of good coaching, supportive admin, community, parents and eager players.
pats39
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by pats39 »

good coach- developes talent and team does much better than they "should",overachieves, exceeding expectations

average coach- meets talent level, no better no worse

bad coach- does NOT meet level of talent, underachieves

of coarse very opionionated though..but coaches still play a HUGE role