LV's last game?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
sportsfan79
Freshman
Freshman

Re: LV's last game?

Post by sportsfan79 »

Here is what the scores would look like if the NEW LV school joined the LHAC.

Bedford - 43 New LV - 6
Bishop Carroll - 47 New LV - 0
Bishop Guilfoyle - 55 New LV - 0
Bishop McCort - 82 New LV - 0
Central Cambria - 61 New LV -3
Forest Hills - 71 New LV - 0
Johnstown - 68 New LV - 0
Penn Cambria - 48 New LV - 9
Richland - 70 New LV - 0
Somerset - 52 New LV - 0
Westmont Hilltop - 33 New LV - 15
Cambria Heights - 31 New LV - 20

They would have about 500 points scored on them in one season and they would probably be luck to score a total of 30-40 points.
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

Not cool.

Not an expert on this situation but if both schools lie on either side of Laurel Hill Mountain than the obvious name of the new school should be Laurel Hill Mountain SD. I also heard rumors that the new "LV" could be going to the WPIAL.

What will this do to Saltsburg/Blairsville situation. Aren 't they in a similar situation?
"I'm your huckleberry"
Muddlehuddle
Senior
Senior

Post by Muddlehuddle »

You are looking at another year or two before LV school district decides what to do with their schools.Maybe longer. Look at Central Cambria, that district can't even come to an agreement on having a middle school or not............... Both CURRENT SCHOOLS WILL FIELD TEAMS NEXT YEAR.
"I've never lost a single game that I've coached from the stands!"
MASTERMIND
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by MASTERMIND »

Zeitgeist wrote:Will the school stay AA or would it move to AAA? If it stays AA I don't see why they wouldn't stay in the Heritage. If they move to AAA I could see Cambria Heights and the new school flip-flopping conferences. Travel might be an issue though going from Ligonier to Altoona. Hypothetically, if they did join the LHAC these would be approximate travel distances according to Google.

Bedford - 62.8 miles, 1 hour and 20 minutes
Bishop Carroll - 40.2 miles, 1 hour
Bishop Guilfoyle - 63.5 miles, 1 hour and 24 minutes
Bishop McCort - 21.5 miles, 38 minutes
Central Cambria - 40.6 miles, 1 hour and 2 minutes
Forest Hills - 38. 5 miles, 53 minutes
Johnstown - 21.8 miles, 39 minutes
Penn Cambria - 49.2 miles, 1 hour and 10 minutes
Richland - 31.7 miles, 48 minutes
Somerset - 25.3 miles, 45 minutes
Westmont Hilltop - 19.7 miles, 34 minutes

What about leaving D6 and joining the WPIAL? Just a thought.
What would travel times be like in the WPIAL?
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I would assume that Ligonier-Laurel Mountain Hilltop Valley would play in the WPIAL AA Section 4 with the likes of Brownsville, Charleroi, East Allegheny, Greensburg Central Catholic, Jeannette, McGuffey, Mt. Pleasant, South Allegheny, Washington and Waynesburg. Yikes.
Zeitgeist
Senior
Senior

Post by Zeitgeist »

Supposing that the new school district did apply to join the WPIAL, they still would be stuck in District 6 pending approval. Plus the WPIAL realigns the conferences every two years depending on schools moving up or down classifications. I had heard rumors that Jeannette might drop down to A at the end of the cycle.

Mastermind, here are the travel distances if they would be in the Interstate Conference.

Brownsville - 38.6 miles, 1 hour and 6 minutes
Charleroi - 46 miles, 1 hour and 7 minutes
East Allegheny - 35.1 miles, 59 minutes
Greensburg Central Catholic - 20.7 miles, 36 minutes
Jeannette - 24.1 miles, 41 minutes
McGuffey - 73.5 miles, 1 hour and 29 minutes
Mount Pleasant - 22.9 miles, 42 minutes
South Allegheny - 42 miles, 1 hour and 15 minutes
Washington - 66.2 miles, 1 hour and 21 minutes
Waynesburg Central - 82.2 miles, 1 hour and 35 minutes

From what I've read the Blairsville/Saltsburg consolidation has been tabled. It was supposed to go into effect for the 2010-11 school year.
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

Zeitgeist wrote:Supposing that the new school district did apply to join the WPIAL, they still would be stuck in District 6 pending approval. Plus the WPIAL realigns the conferences every two years depending on schools moving up or down classifications. I had heard rumors that Jeannette might drop down to A at the end of the cycle.
Good points. D6 is not likely to let them out. If they do the flood gates will open and D6 could lose at least 10 schools to other districts.
"I'm your huckleberry"
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Why would ten teams apply to follow Ligonier/Laurel Valley out the door? Ligonier Valley and Laurel Valley are the only two Westmoreland county schools in District 6.
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

All over the borders of D6 teams want out. Just off the top of my head I have heard "rumors" that Portage, Ferndale, CV, Claysburg, Lewistown, IV, Somerset, etc. want out.
"I'm your huckleberry"
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

The districts were drawn up based on geography. Westmoreland county is in District 7 but since Laurel Valley and Ligonier Valley play in conferences with no other District 7 teams they got an exemption and play in District 6. Somerset is in District 6 because they are the only "AAA" school in District 5. Those other schools you mention can make no case to change districts.