LV's last game?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

LV's last game?

Post by tubmill »

I am wondering if the LV Ram's victory over the Blairsville Bobcats will be the last football game ever played by Laurel Valley High School. The Ram's won 32 - 0. It will all depend on the election on Tuesday. Our Ram's are up against it as we need write in candidates for the school board to win. Should that not happen there will be big changes in the LVSD. I hope the voters do the right thing.
Red and Black
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: LV's last game?

Post by Red and Black »

With the results of the election appearing to favor candidates willing to consolidate pretty soon, it very well might have been Laurel Valley's last game, Tubmill.

But, in a very real sense, then these might be considered Ligonier's last game's as well.

I definitely grant that it is much more of an end for Laurel Valley if the Ligonier Valley building becomes the high school. But with the possibility of a new name, colors, and nickname, we may not ever see the word "Ligonier" again in a sporting result either.

As I have said before, I would stick with red and black go with "Ligonier Valley Rams" as the new name, not the "Mountain Valley", "Twin Valley", and so on I have heard thrown about. Keep something from both schools, no need to make up one of those generic, suburby sounding names.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

Red and Black,
The only decent thing in this fiasco would be for the new school to keep the school colors, red and black. I was on the committee of 20 students from LV and 20 from Ligonier who chose those colors. At the time consolidation was eminent. In addition the only decent thing would be for the new school be called Laurel Valley and keep the mascot as Rams. After all the only thing that the two communities have in common is the fact that they exist along Laurel Hill Mountain. Also, the only sacrifice in this merger comes from the northern communities. Long bus rides for their children and lower property values are the rewards for the LV citizens. God help this school board should they raise taxes! The northern folks have no representatives on this board. John Maier and Irv Tantlinger are Mellonites. I doubt if the new board will do the right thing. I can understand merging the two high schools. However closing LVHS/MS and keeping the Marker building open is ludicrous! Marker is the oldest building in the district. The LV building has much more to offer our middle school students..like an auditorium and two gyms. However it is too far for the Ligonier students to travel. I wonder how many of the Seward parents will cyber school their kids? I have stated before that I am not against consolidation. I just want it to be fair and make sense.

What will be the ramifications on the local athletic scene? It is my understanding that the new school will keep it's teams in the Heritage. That means that conference needs to find another member. Should they go after Blacklick Valley, Cambria Heights or West Shamokin? Should LV join the Laurel Highlands? I don't have a preference. Laurel Valley had good relationships and rivaries with all of the Heritage Conference members. Ligonier was just there.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

I would like to thank all of the LV citizens who came out yesterday to vote, hoping to make sure that the consolidation was fair and made sense! It was especially gratifying to see all of the senior citizens.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

What conference should host the newly consolidated schools of LV and Ligonier?
Zeitgeist
Senior
Senior

Post by Zeitgeist »

Will the school stay AA or would it move to AAA? If it stays AA I don't see why they wouldn't stay in the Heritage. If they move to AAA I could see Cambria Heights and the new school flip-flopping conferences. Travel might be an issue though going from Ligonier to Altoona. Hypothetically, if they did join the LHAC these would be approximate travel distances according to Google.

Bedford - 62.8 miles, 1 hour and 20 minutes
Bishop Carroll - 40.2 miles, 1 hour
Bishop Guilfoyle - 63.5 miles, 1 hour and 24 minutes
Bishop McCort - 21.5 miles, 38 minutes
Central Cambria - 40.6 miles, 1 hour and 2 minutes
Forest Hills - 38. 5 miles, 53 minutes
Johnstown - 21.8 miles, 39 minutes
Penn Cambria - 49.2 miles, 1 hour and 10 minutes
Richland - 31.7 miles, 48 minutes
Somerset - 25.3 miles, 45 minutes
Westmont Hilltop - 19.7 miles, 34 minutes

What about leaving D6 and joining the WPIAL? Just a thought.
Red and Black
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Red and Black »

Tubmill - You know, I can accept calling the high school Laurel Valley but I don't think it makes the most sense. Ligonier presumably will still be the name of the school district and is the name of the biggest borough and biggest township. But, again, if the LVMHS closes, that is a hefty price to pay for the Laurel Valley community, and if they want to transfer their name to Ligonier, I could accept that. No question about keeping red and black, I agree.

As far as sports, I checked the current PIAA enrollment numbers. Based on combined enrollment, football would be mid-level AA, not even that close to AAA. We would definitely be the biggest school in the Heritage, but still only AA. Baseball is already combined and is AAA. All of the other sports with multiple classes would go to AA as well, if combined. The other exception is boys basketball, which based on current enrollment would be about five over the AA limit and would be AAA. But if we are shrinking faster than other schools, we will probably fall back to AA next year even in boys basketball. I heard that someone has figured out that it is almost certain that Ligonier (alone) will drop back to A in football next year. So anyways, if we combined and stayed in the Heritage, we would become what Johnstown is to the LHAC - the biggest school, playing teams mostly one class (or sometimes even two) lower than us.
djs11
Freshman
Freshman

Post by djs11 »

Theres no way they could stay in the Heritage. By the old numbers(I know the new ones will be different) they have 291 boys. 9 less than Forest Hills and would be the 4th biggest AA school. The next biggest Heritage school is Marion Center at 186, the smallest would be Saltsburg 102. AA school playing all A schools would do nothing for LV. They would never get enough points for a good playoff seed and playing Saltsburg and N. Cambria aren't gonna get them ready to compete in AA playoffs.
sportsfan79
Freshman
Freshman

Post by sportsfan79 »

There is no way the new LV school could run in the LHAC, they do not have the skill to run with top LHAC teams, neither the bad ones. The heritage is all about the run game and about 10% pass. Playing schools that can pass and run would just crush the LV school, for example when Laurel Valley played McCort in playoffs "08", LV got crushed big time. I would take C. Heights over the best Heritage team if my money was on the line and heights hasn't won a game yet, but they have shown that they can compete with the big boys. LV should stay in the Heritage and maybe they'll get more than 2 wins with the combined athletes and numbers. They might be able to make playoffs, who knows maybe even a district title game. If you ask any football fan, watching the Heritage conference is extremely boring, I would rather watch a WestPAC game than a Heritage game. There is no fun at these games, cause all the teams do is run, you'll occasionally get the passing game, but thats once in every few ages. The only people that like to watch Heritage is the relatives of the athletes. I would rather sit back and watch an LHAC or WPIAL game anyday. Also, one another note, C. Heights would destroy in the Heritage if they moved there, I hope they dont cause the new LV school will make the LHAC or the WPIAL look bad. I hope that the schools don't merge for the kids sake, thats just tough to deal with. Hopefully everything works our for the kids. But, I DO NOT want to see the new LV school take a spot in the LHAC or the WPIAL. I dont even know why they mention AAA, they cant even win a freaking game in A, let alone AAA. Ughh this makes me mad
sportsfan79
Freshman
Freshman

Post by sportsfan79 »

Zeitgeist wrote:Will the school stay AA or would it move to AAA? If it stays AA I don't see why they wouldn't stay in the Heritage. If they move to AAA I could see Cambria Heights and the new school flip-flopping conferences. Travel might be an issue though going from Ligonier to Altoona. Hypothetically, if they did join the LHAC these would be approximate travel distances according to Google.

Bedford - 62.8 miles, 1 hour and 20 minutes
Bishop Carroll - 40.2 miles, 1 hour
Bishop Guilfoyle - 63.5 miles, 1 hour and 24 minutes
Bishop McCort - 21.5 miles, 38 minutes
Central Cambria - 40.6 miles, 1 hour and 2 minutes
Forest Hills - 38. 5 miles, 53 minutes
Johnstown - 21.8 miles, 39 minutes
Penn Cambria - 49.2 miles, 1 hour and 10 minutes
Richland - 31.7 miles, 48 minutes
Somerset - 25.3 miles, 45 minutes
Westmont Hilltop - 19.7 miles, 34 minutes

What about leaving D6 and joining the WPIAL? Just a thought.

ARE YOU ALL CRAZY, EVERY TEAM LISTED HERE WOULD MESS UP THE NEW LV SCHOOL AND EVERY HERITAGE TEAM....GOOOO WPIAL AND LHAC