Live Life to the fullest
Sneakers
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Bedford vs ridge score?

Post by Sneakers »

Bison reign in 2nd half...
6-6 at the half, Bedford returns opening kickoff. I think Bedford 14-12 after 3
Bison outscores Lions 15-6 in the fourth...(down 18-14 scores 15 unanswered at end)
(29-18) final for those who do not do math after 9:55 PM eastern Time Zone.
ham55
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ham55 »

After a ho-hum first 30 mins, the last 18 was really good. Lots of offense. Very good effort by the Bedford kids tonight.

The play of the game was when Shippey fumbled the ball on the Ridge 20ish. It seemed, from my angle, that there was nothing but blue and gold around the ball, but somehow Krupa ended up coming out of the pile with the football. Bedford then scored 4 plays later to take a lead they would not relinquish.

Ridge was sloppy yet again on offense. I bet they had over 40 yards in dropped passes throughout this football game. Their inability to throw really killed them. They had done that well last week and let other aspects of the game beat them. Tonight, the passing game wasn't there for them, and that was one of the huge parts of the game.

After starting 1-5 Bedford has won 4 out of it's last 5. It's nice to see these kids learn how to win. Especially as young as they are. Maybe the future for Bedford will be a little brighter for the next 2 years.
Wrangler
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Wrangler »

Exciting game from the opening kick-off and it is disapointing if the one official blew the fumble call inside the 20 to determine the outcome of this game - anxious to hear the outcome on this call once it is seen on the game tape. Good luck to Bedford as they move on as the District V Champion.
ham55
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ham55 »

How can you argue that Bedford recovered the ball? Krupa stood up with the ball. The ref was holding up that it was 2nd down the entire time. He never flip-flopped. Don't blame the ref's. Ridge had many opportunities to blow the game wide open in their favor. How about the delay of game on the Bedford 5? I guess that one's on the ref's too.
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

Better effort by Ridge tonight but not change in result. The Shippey kid really impressed me on Defense tonight. He was all over the place kind of like Dan Caro. Hope Bedford does well next week. The refs didn't cost Ridge the game. But I am tired of "questionable" officiating by local refs. Especially in big games.

I really don't know who had the ball. The one ref pointed Ridge's way from the get go and throughout the whole "discussion" he kept pointing Ridge's way. Then Gary Singel put up two fingers and it was Bedford's ball. At least the refs could have come over and gave an explanation. The ref crew in general is bush league. A shame that this is the best officiating crew in D5. I would much rather have Denny Grambling's crew from D6 do D5 playoffs games.
"I'm your huckleberry"
RidgeDad
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by RidgeDad »

ham55 wrote:How about the delay of game on the Bedford 5? I guess that one's on the ref's too.
No, neither delay of game was the refs fault. And you are correct - way too many dropped passes right in the hands of Ridge receivers. Some were drive killers.

However, this same crew had 2 inadvertent whistles in back to back weeks, one last week that cost Bedford a TD and one this week that took them 5 minutes to figure out they should just give Ridge a 5 yard motion penalty.

Remember the inadvertent whistle last week that cost Bedford a sure TD? The refs then gave a "do-over"! Amazing they screwed it up to begin with, but then to give them a "do-over" was 2 mistakes on the same play. The original play was on 1st down. After the inadvertent whistle, it should have been 2nd down. But it was 1st down all over again.

I really don't know who came up with the fumble either (I didn't see Krupa come out with it, but will take your word for it), but I do know that one ref came in and signaled first down Ridge the entire time. I somewhat disagree with Southy though, because that call came with around 5 minutes to go I believe with Ridge winning 18-14. IF (notice I said IF), they got it wrong, then it very well could have cost Ridge the game. Regardless, they should have at least gave the Ridge coaches an explanation after the confusion, and the confusion was obvious with one signaling 1st down Ridge and another holding up 2 fingers for 2nd down.

I really hope someone that has access to game tape will give an unbiased review of that play, and the play on the same drive where the refs called defensive holding after the catch was made, and gave the result of the play plus the 10 yards. This may have been legit, but I would love to see an explanation from what was seen on film.

I don't think this crew is biased though. I just think this crew is incompetent.

Good luck to Bedford next week.
hoganddog
Freshman
Freshman

Post by hoganddog »

Not to harp on officiating, but I am going to. This same crew is notorious for wanting to take over the game and make calls that other crews are not going to make just to let people know the refs are on the field. They did the Everett game last week and were awful. Not that they are biased, they are terrible both ways. LET THE PLAYERS PLAY AND DECIDE THE GAME! Don't make calls that are questionable in the heat of the game.

To my understanding, this crew has the Windber vs. Berlin game Saturday. What a shame. In a game that should be a good one, this crew will most likely want to let people know they are out there and make calls that are ridiculous.

Sorry about the venting, but this crew is consistently terrible.

Congrats to the Bison. What day will they play Westinghouse?
Skippy
Senior
Senior

Post by Skippy »

RidgeDad wrote:
ham55 wrote:How about the delay of game on the Bedford 5? I guess that one's on the ref's too.
No, neither delay of game was the refs fault. And you are correct - way too many dropped passes right in the hands of Ridge receivers. Some were drive killers.

However, this same crew had 2 inadvertent whistles in back to back weeks, one last week that cost Bedford a TD and one this week that took them 5 minutes to figure out they should just give Ridge a 5 yard motion penalty.

Remember the inadvertent whistle last week that cost Bedford a sure TD? The refs then gave a "do-over"! Amazing they screwed it up to begin with, but then to give them a "do-over" was 2 mistakes on the same play. The original play was on 1st down. After the inadvertent whistle, it should have been 2nd down. But it was 1st down all over again.

I really don't know who came up with the fumble either (I didn't see Krupa come out with it, but will take your word for it), but I do know that one ref came in and signaled first down Ridge the entire time. I somewhat disagree with Southy though, because that call came with around 5 minutes to go I believe with Ridge winning 18-14. IF (notice I said IF), they got it wrong, then it very well could have cost Ridge the game. Regardless, they should have at least gave the Ridge coaches an explanation after the confusion, and the confusion was obvious with one signaling 1st down Ridge and another holding up 2 fingers for 2nd down.

I really hope someone that has access to game tape will give an unbiased review of that play, and the play on the same drive where the refs called defensive holding after the catch was made, and gave the result of the play plus the 10 yards. This may have been legit, but I would love to see an explanation from what was seen on film.

I don't think this crew is biased though. I just think this crew is incompetent.

Good luck to Bedford next week.

A. This was not the same crew as previous weeek

B. An inadvertent whistle on a running play with no fumble/change of possesion gives two choices to the offense. Take the result of the play where the whistle was blown or REPLAY THE DOWN. You should know the rules before you make statements like it should of been second down. The rules in essence allow for a "do-over" in this situation.

C. If you think the officials are incompetant the test for PIAA officials is in February....
hoganddog
Freshman
Freshman

Post by hoganddog »

Skippy,

I am not one to put the result of a game on the officials shoulders. Going back to this crew in the Everett playoff game...Berlin had the ball in the middle of the field, threw an incomplete pass to the left, and the officials placed the ball on the left hash. I have the utmost respect for officials and their willingness to make interscholastic sports happen, but a playoff officiating crew should not make that mistake. Oh well.