District 5 AA Champs = Losing Record

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

District 5 AA Champs = Losing Record

Post by youngbuck »

Anyone else have a problem with this?

Maybe it is time to redistrict, is there any question that Richland would be the District 5 champs if they were in 5 and not 6. Even Huntington or Central Cambria for that matter.

If you were to take 5 and 6 and add them together and then cut it in half, what teams would be in the two halves?

Instead one of the following undefeated teams Bellwood or Portage will not get the chance to even play in the D6 title game, while CT and Windber, both of whom were manhandled by Portage will be a District champion.
raidernation
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: District 5 AA Champs = Losing Record

Post by raidernation »

bellwood ct windber and portage all play single a ido agree that the piaa needs tocombine some districts if there is only afew teams like d5 aa has only 3 teams in it
underdog1
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by underdog1 »

Its an easy fix, make it what it once was D5/6 AA its that simple.
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by old school »

I may be wrong but District 5 was guaranteed one spot in the 5/6 playoffs...if so there is still a possibility of a team with a losing record still qualifying. I also remember District 6 complaining because of a team being bumped out of the playoffs with a better record than the D5 team.
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

This is the third time I'm posting this information in a different topic.

First the AA question, why does District 5 crown a champion or why aren't they combined with D6, why doesn't PIAA do something about small districts?

Answer. They have! District 5 is subregionalized with Districts 8 and 9. The District 5 "Championship Game" was in reality equivalent of a D6 quarterfinal. The 5 vs 8 game next week is in effect a semifinal, and then the 5-8 winner plays D9 champ when D6 plays their championship. Do you people "get it?"

Let me try it this way....

Does it make more sense to Have a D5/6 combination of 15 teams (from 6) and 3 teams (from 5) for 18 total and then a D9-8 combo of 9 teams in another bracket - OR - is it more fair to have District 6 crown their own champion from their 15 teams (since they obviously have a viable number) and combine D 5-8-9's 12 total teams? The PIAA is trying to be fair. Just so happens that at least in the D5 and 8 side of things the teams are all average at best, by AA standards, this year. D9 has 8-2 Karns City and 3 other teams with winning records.

and old school is accurate in above post. A 5-6 combination would have knocked a D6 team "out" of the playoffs and in some years it could be more than 1 team pending records. How is that better for a District with 15 of their own teams?

As for the "A" comments.

No doubt D6 is VERY strong in Class "A" this year in particular with 3 absolutely Outstanding squads.

To say that D5 should be eliminated though, is a bit of overkill by egotistical District six-ites, who don't see the big picture, and the numbers across the state.

Of the 11 District who play Class "A" football, District 5 is not the smallest, so why shouldn't other districts be combined??? Why District 5?

Consider that District 1, who crowns a champion, has just 5 teams. District 2, the coal region, has 7 Class "A" teams. Should they be eliminated? How about District 12 that is same size as District 1?

District 11 has the EXACT SAME number of Single-A teams as District 5 (9) and nobody is claiming they are not viable?

District 4, where power Southern Columbia wins regularly, has 10 teams, just ONE more than District 5.

so I ask, Should District 5 Single-A really be eliminated considering the big picture?

I hope I didn't offend anyone...I am really just trying to be informative as I don't think people understand the situation before they speak (type?) sometimes.
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by old school »

Great Post HR!!!!
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Why is District 6 being punished by having so many teams in it. Why can't it be distributed.
Bedford would not have even been in the playoffs in D6, but now all of their kids can walk around with a district 5 champions shirt on and they can hang a banner in the school.
Lefteyelouie
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Lefteyelouie »

I believe the team Bedford will be playing is D-8 champion Westinghouse. They have a 3-6 record? So its not like it is just D-5 with subpar teams.
raidernation
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by raidernation »

good post and thanks for the info head roadie
ham55
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ham55 »

Youngbuck,

You're obviously bitter and for no apparent reason. How does what Bedford does at this point in the year impact anything that's happening in D-6? Do a little research before you come on here blasting only one district and the way they run things.

If Bedford wins next Friday out in Pittsburgh they're gonna be 6-6. I wonder what you'll have to b*tch about then?