PUBLIC VS PRIVATE

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
striker5
Freshman
Freshman

Re: PUBLIC VS PRIVATE

Post by striker5 »

It's embarrassing that McCort will not admit that they recuirt. Everyone argues that students go there for academics, but we all know that is not true. I know a kid who got recruited all of the way from Kansas when he was in grade school to come play football for McCort. He moved to town and worked his way up through the local catholic school system and ended up playing football for McCort. I mean come on, recuiting a kid all of the way from Kansas? That's ridiculous. At least private schools don't cheat like this.
You can take the 7 outta crimson, but you can't take the crimson outta crusher.
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

El-Moldo wrote:Is youngbuck saying that, in any capacity as a player, Perich would not have made FH better over the last couple of years??????

I think that Perich is a fantastic player. However, I do not see him as a better player than those who are already at FH. Not to mention he is probably a better wrestler than football player and I think that FH would as good as anywhere for wrestlling.

What position would Perich play, over who?
old timer
Freshman
Freshman

Post by old timer »

You can call it recruiting or they just have an unfair advantage. Let me give you an example. A school in indiana County had one of the best returning basketball players in D-6 He lacked a supporting staff at his school last year and the same was going to happen this year. He wanted to change schools and would have liked to play for Indiana, but if he transferred to indiana, he would have been ineligable so he chose to go to a catholic school and the transfer was approved with no questions ask. Now we could kid ourself and say he did it to get a good catholic education but we all know better. To me that's where the private schools have the advantage.
hornets69
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by hornets69 »

jesse reed going to Greensburg Central Catholic?
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

youngbuck: Don't you think that Perich, in some capacity, would have helped FH last year when they were eliminated early from the playoffs????
reugenev
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by reugenev »

Have the private school students participate in extracurriculars in their home districts like the students attending vocational/technical schools do!
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by usatf oldguy »

reugenev wrote:Have the private school students participate in extracurriculars in their home districts like the students attending vocational/technical schools do!
I like this kind of thinking.Unfortunately I doubt the privates would like it!
pitt75
Freshman
Freshman

Post by pitt75 »

Private schools have an advantage because they have to compete with public schools. And competition breeds improvement. Why did the kid transfer....he had no supporting cast. So his school was lacking something that was important to him, and instead of suffering---he left.

He could have gone to Indiana, all his parents would have had to do was secure a property in the school district. Perhaps they do not have the funds to do that. Exactly why as I said in another forum that a voucher system would allow parents and students to choose--I do not care if they pick a public or a private school---just give people FREEDOM to choose.
once a runner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by once a runner »

Pitt75, the voucher system or simply being free to choose your school district would cause a lot of chaos and all in the name of athletics. Perhaps a few would transfer for academics, but the large majority of school changes would be for athletics. This would force schools put a lot of money into athletics to keep their enrollments. These funds could be better served turning out an educated student body.

Call me old fashioned, but I enjoy the element of the community being involved when their team does well. It's great at playoff time to watch communities travel from game to game to support their hometown schools. You completely lose the sense of community pride if you have students from many school districts competing on your team.

Vouchers generally only reduce the price of private schools for those who can already afford to attend. If a student gets a $500 or $1,000 voucher to attend a school that costs $5,000 per year it isn't going to make a major difference for those who cannot afford the school.
old timer
Freshman
Freshman

Post by old timer »

A voucher systym would bankrupt the PIAA because the public schools and the communities that support them pay the bills for the PIAA. If you had a voucher systym the public schools would end up like most of the private schools and the only ones attending the games would be the students and their parents. That's why revenue for the PIAA is down the last couple years. With the addition of the private schools from Phil. and the sucess of the private schools,especially in the lower classification attendance at the playoff games are down. If this trend continues the Piaa will have to charge a large entry fee or go bankrupt.