Has anyone seen Clairton yet this year?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
davesandstorm
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Has anyone seen Clairton yet this year?

Post by davesandstorm »

QuoteTheRaven wrote:
D6sports101 wrote:I
QuoteTheRaven wrote:How for a public school are they so talented year in and year out??? It's insane!!!
It's called a system. When things are going well the kids will buy in. I believe it is good that this is a public school because if otherwise, they would have been slapped with the recruiting label in 2009 when they won the state title. And the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that. People should realize it is not solely teams but Programs.

I get that but their are other "Systems" or "Programs" across the state who are historically good, Aliquippa from the WPIAL is another one who comes to mind, but NO ONE at ANY classification level A-AA-AAA-AAAA in the PIAA has been able to rival what Clairton has done in the past 5 or so years. It's incredible really
Off the top of my head, Southern Columbia is the only one that comes close.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Southern Columbia's longevity makes their run better than Clairton's. 12/13 years they played for a state championship 4 straight runner up finishes right into 5 straight championships. Never heard of anything like that.
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

I'm really looking forward to seeing if they can put those kind of points up against Jeanette this week. If so look out. Might be the start of another streak
-BIRDS OF PREY-
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Well everyone can see them Friday, they are on live tv on Root Sports this week. Set the DVR.

Lamont Wade is the real deal, he's a comparable talent to Jordan Whitehead, Dravon Henry, Tyler Boyd ect. He's only a sophomore but will be a big time recruit.
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

I think Clairton wins this game by 25+ points
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I think so too. North Catholic is the only WPIAL team capable of beating them.
QuoteTheRaven
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by QuoteTheRaven »

I have always wanted to see Clariton vs. Aliquippa. They have been talking about setting up a game for the past few years but it never materialized. I would drive 2+ hours to see this game!!!
"Hard work pays off, dreams do come true. Bad times don't last, but Bad Guys do!"
Hardknocks
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Hardknocks »

The reason Clairton has been so good is its midget program. They play in the city league and the athletes are tremendous. Some of these midget teams would beat smaller high school teams. I have lived in Clairton for decades and I never seen anyone want to transfer here to play any sport. Clairton is a football town they start playing at 5 full pads. I have seen a post people saying they should play flag until middle school. This would be the worst thing for their football team. They will be trying to teach their kids to block and tackle, while other successful teams are teaching their kids how to read offenses and defenses. I am probably biased being from Clairton but when kids play with each other for ten years before high school they become so cohesive they become hard to beat.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Yeah youth football is a good thing when it's run correctly and it is taught the right way at a Young age. That topic is right in some ways, some coaches and parents don't get it and that's when kids get hurt or have to forfeit games. If you have passionate and knowledgable people that are in it to teach rather to run up scores, that's the difference.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

To me one of the biggest problems with youth football, especially in smaller districts, is attrition. You have kids quitting in fourth and fifth grade that will never come back. Clairton isn't certainly one of the most talented teams in the state but they do compete at the single A level and are close to having issues with regards to fielding a full team. 22 kids playing in third and fourth grade becomes 19 kids playing in fifth and sixth and just keeps dropping.

Third, fourth and fifth graders are prepubescent. Most haven't started growing yet. Why do we risk losing football players before we even give them a chance to grow to become football players?