Pull the plug

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pull the plug

Post by konjo78 »

Another problem for declining numbers all around is the 1 sport athlete. We live in a time now where a high school athlete will commit all his or her time for 1 sport. I know out here on the west coast baseball runs from march til late October. Soccer, basketball, and wrestling are year round sports. Coaches expect players to lift for football all year long....

Camps all summer long for any sport possible really lets kids focus on 1 thing very well. Maybe a kid who would be a 6th man on a basketball team if he played football and baseball could be a strong starter if he concentrated on only basketball. We don't live in the day of a 3 sport star anymore.
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

Here's a point of interest. About 1/2 of Tyrone's all staters under Franco didn't play until jr high..... Just a lil tidbit.

And yeah, if you're scouting at the lil guy level ya might need a reality check
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
Bedrock
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Bedrock »

I've always opposed tackle until 7th grade. I could very well be the wimpy exception, but I wasn't ready to run my face through someone's chest until I was a senior in high school. I'm not sure what skills have to be taught that can't wait until that time frame, but I know others have different opinions.
In my perfect world kids would play flag football without lineman until 7th grade and then put on pads. What little kid doesn't want to run around and try to catch the ball? Teach them a passing tree and let them run around and have fun. Nobody celebrates their undefeated junior high teams at their class reunions.
Hoping my kid likes golf!
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

Not alone Bedrock
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

This is an interesting topic. I agree all sports are starting kids too young. Many lose interest over time.

Having numbers drop from the younger levels to the varsity level is normal. Many kids realize that they are not cut out for the sport or not good enough to continue playing, so they choose to stop. Many kids play little league baseball to "try the sport out". After little league, they realize that baseball is not something they want to continue to pursue.

As for football, I like seeing the kids putting the gear on a little before going into junior high. It helps sort out some of the ones who just want to try it and see if they like it. I think something around 5th or 6th grade (11 and 12 years old) would be a good age to begin full contact with pads. This is just my opinion, no scientific facts to back it up.

As for coaches, there will always be good and bad ones. Usually the good outweighs the bad. What's the saying, "Play the best 10 players on the team plus my kid!"
west33
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by west33 »

I think the numbers are down because their is not much work in the area and when the mines shut down a lot of schools numbers were way down. Also their are pros and cons for pee-wee football. I have seen a lot of players go out early and look like it isn't for them, but got a good coach and in the 2nd year on out the kid was a stud! And I agree, it weeds the kids out that don't have it after a couple of years of trying. I like pads before the jr high level. Usually not any major injuries and if they get a good coach really learn and get better through the years all the way up through the ranks. Most kids that stay with sports throughout their career usually are better than the others that start later. Their are some exceptions I understand, but most that do it young are usually the better sound fundamentally better player.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Maybe, some of you can take the time to read the opening letter in today's Tribune-Democrap from an 11 yr. old 6th grader concerning peewee football. Puts things into perspective a little better than from posters here. Let 'em play. They're kids.
It ain't over until it's over.
sonofpsycho
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by sonofpsycho »

They should continue pee wee football because high schools will be dipping down to the pee wee ranks shortly so that they can field HS teams. I can see a 6th grader playing at Ferndale....Can't you?????? What an abomination!

We need more high schools so more kids can "participate"
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Manfred wrote:Maybe, some of you can take the time to read the opening letter in today's Tribune-Democrap from an 11 yr. old 6th grader concerning peewee football. Puts things into perspective a little better than from posters here. Let 'em play. They're kids.
Do you believe an eleven year old wrote that?
TITO10
Freshman
Freshman

Post by TITO10 »

knowitall- I didn't know the California Penal league had divisions in their league? Also, why argue the fact that an 11 year old could of wrote the article. I strongly believe an 11 year old could of very easily wrote the article. Bottom line is if kids want to play pee wee football let them.