Pull the plug

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
TITO10
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Pull the plug

Post by TITO10 »

peytonsaturday- You are a second teamer aren't you? Also, if a coach scouts for a pee wee game then he is a dork. Teach the kids the fundamentals and give them confidence in themselves. If you do that and make it fun for the kids they will continue to play and improve.
west33
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by west33 »

I disagree with being a dork to scout! You are teaching the kids their plays and good kids. Then you put them in positions to make plays and recognize formations. Fundamentals are tought everyday, but each week you teach them a gameplan and it even helps them more about learning the game. Good coaches have plays and fundamentals down by start of the season. Then you film them and see what they are doing wrong and go back to practice to teach them the right way and showing them the things they do wrong. I am for scouting and filming for teaching and learning experiencing.
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

I was a 3 year starter in HS and 2 year in college D2. Didn't put on shoulder pads till 7th grade. Nor did Barry Sanders....how'd that work out for him?
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

and we are talking 20 years ago
-BIRDS OF PREY-
Warrior1554
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Warrior1554 »

This is a really tough argument to look at both sides have pros and cons: If they start younger they have more experience which could help their team in high school, however as everyone said there also tends to be less people sticking with football.

On the other side of things, these kids will be less experienced; but there will be more of them so schools will at least have numbers. I feel like this is an iffy situation. I think there should at least be youth football in the school district, so maybe treat flag football like contact football? Have coaches be more strict on how things work so at least when kids move up to jr. high they have all the aspects of the game, other than the physical hitting.
footballguy99
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by footballguy99 »

Is there anything to look forward to any more?

Pre-K graduation
Kindergarten graduation
Elementary graduation
Middle school graduation
Real graduation

Wrestling at age 5

Football with pads instead of just for fun at age 8

I disagree that Shade is reaping the benefits now. They are going to finish around .500 and they have some good athletes in the program. Youth football didn't put them there. It is a coincidence. Other teams have youth football and have had it for years but they aren't all good every year. They are good when the kids are there to dictate how good they will be.

I also laugh at the first time kid who is timid, not ready for contact, etc in high school. That is silly. Watch a youth game and you'll see some timid kids who aren't ready for contact.

In an effort to keep up with the guy next door everyone has youth programs now and some youth programs hurt the real programs. Why? Some schools have 7th graders in youth instead of junior high because they want to win the Super Bowl and get a giant trophy.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I would guess that most youth football coaches are guys who are willing to devote their time to coach a team. Some certainly were second teamers, others may have never played, while others were first teamers who are convinced that they never made it any further because they didn't have the opportunity to play nine games when they were in fourth grade.

I know Richland, for one, had first graders playing tackle within the past few years.

Ferndale forfeited its fifth and sixth grade game two weeks ago and said it only had eleven available kids.

Blacklick Valley forfeited last week after a player got injured in the first five minutes of its game.

Windber has forfeited this week's game already.
west33
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by west33 »

Well shade made the playoffs the last two yrs and yah 500 or above is better than their typical 1-8 or 2-7 record. Same coaches, so yes these players know the game before jr high and are reaping the rewards of it. Other teams beat the crap out of shade for yrs. The last good shade yrs before that was back when they had guys like deneen and pasierbs and others that played in the grypwfl. And yrs after that the only good players were the couple that played. Like I said, some do make it not playing it at an early age, but most that do in all sports played it at a young age, especially now a days. U need to stay up with it with all these different aaus , pee-wees, etc...
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

I don't really see a reason for debate here.

Football teams having trouble getting players
Bands having half the members it used to
Wrestling programs forfeiting bouts

Its just a sign of the times. Kids have more options these days, soccer, lacrosse, computers, games, tv
-BIRDS OF PREY-
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

:-? Geez, maybe Psycho has a point.......NOT!
It ain't over until it's over.